Beru glowplugs

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Beru glowplugs

Post by myglaren »

A colleague at work had extreme starting difficulties this morning (-5°) and took his Berlingo 2.0 HDi to a local garage. They checked that battery and ran a diagnostic then pulled 2 dead and one dying glow plug which were replaced with Bosch ones, all for £70.
He was told that they could fit cheaper plugs but they would only give three months warranty on them as they were known not to last very long.

Another colleague had four NoName glow plugs fitted to his 2L Mon-non-Citoen and they died within a matter of months.

This prompts me to ask "Why Beru plugs"? They always seem to be the item of choice for forum members.

Are they accepted as being reliable and enduring. Are they cheap? Are they original equipment (no, I haven't looked to see what mine are but there is no guarantee that they are the original ones anyway).
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Certainly for the IDI XUD engines Steve, the Beru glowplugs seem to offer a good balance of life, efficiency and cost. On the cost front, GSF offer them at a good price.

Touch-wood I've never had any bother with them and I cannot recall any adverse comment generally in this forum.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

If I'm not mistaken, Beru is the OEM plug, i.e. the one developed for and with the engine rather than being another manufacturers copy of it.