All That Work

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

ACTIVE8
My Cars:

All That Work

Post by ACTIVE8 »

Take a look at this link.

Someone has gone to a lot of work, :shock: to create in effect an Xantia ! :lol:
ACTIVA

The car that looks like a family car, but has special secret hidden abilities.
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

It's all the more funny when you think about the fact that PSA made the 406 as a competitor to their other car in the same class the Xantia. :wink:
ACTIVA

jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

:shock: :shock:
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

yes but PSA pug did build a 405 M16 4X4 with a citroen hydraulic rear end

regards malcolm
red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by red_dwarfers »

Oh dear...it would probably have been cheaper and more reliable to buy a Xantia too!
citronut wrote:yes but PSA pug did build a 405 M16 4X4 with a citroen hydraulic rear end

regards malcolm
Ah so it was just the 4x4 Mi16 that had the hydraulic rear. There was a 405 Mi16 around my way a few months back, wonder what happened to it...
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

citronut wrote:yes but PSA pug did build a 405 M16 4X4 with a citroen hydraulic rear end

regards malcolm
Granted !

Well as they were parts bin raiding, they should have also done some parts bin raiding with the spec for the U.K. spec Activa, and stuck a few V6's in them to test the market over here.

That 406 will have already had a big stereo install by the looks of it.

So now it's also got extra batteries to power the air suspension, and a compressor, and an air tank, so there will probably be no boot space left.

So now it will be a case of looks quick, but with all that extra weight it probably wont be in practice ! :lol:
Last edited by ACTIVE8 on 08 Nov 2008, 21:17, edited 1 time in total.
ACTIVA

reblack68
My Cars:

Post by reblack68 »

Would it be possible, if you had enough time on your hands, to put Xantia suspension on a 406 or vice versa?
Richard

No French cars of my own at present.
Care of a 1994 205 D.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

reblack68 wrote:Would it be possible, if you had enough time on your hands, to put Xantia suspension on a 406 or vice versa?
It's possible as anything is possible given lots of time, enthusiasm and money. A heck of a project though. Given the 406 and Xantia share (more or less) the same floorpan, it may not be so difficult.

I have seen somewhere pictures of a land Rover with Citroen Hydropneumatic suspension.

Some JCBs have full Citroen Hydropneumatic now. Those super-fast tractors.

Air suspension seems quite popular at the moment with the barryboys. An American import I believe.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

I used to work for an agency that did the advertising for DJB Engineering, who made articulating dump trucks.

DJB are gone now, taken over by Catterpillar, but their trucks used Citroen stylee hydropnuematic suspension. I presume it was under licence from Citroen but there was no mention of this. Perhaps David John Brown owned a DS or CX. I expect we will never know but it would be interesting to learn how he decided to opt for that type of suspension for such an arduous task.

This was before I bought my first Citroen (GS) and was pretty clueless about the whole thing but the cutaway drawings were certainly impressive.
reblack68
My Cars:

Post by reblack68 »

citrojim wrote:It's possible as anything is possible given lots of time, enthusiasm and money. A heck of a project though. Given the 406 and Xantia share (more or less) the same floorpan, it may not be so difficult.
I was wondering if it would all just bolt on. Not that I'm planning to do it :lol:
Richard

Care of a 1994 205 D.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Xantia subframes might just bolt straight on Richard. The inner wings are different though, so some metal bashing would be needed to fit the strut tops..

Big problem is there is nowhere in the centre console for the height lever. and you'd have to fit a brake dosuer valve and Xantia brakes so you could get rid of the servo amd make space for the LHM reservoir...

Don't anyone dare ask if it's possible to fit 406 springs to a Xantia :lol: :lol:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
reblack68
My Cars:

Post by reblack68 »

That was my next question, would you then be able to make a steel sprung Xantia with the leftovers? :lol: :lol:
Richard

Care of a 1994 205 D.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

that would be ok as long as it was from a 406 with coil spings at the rear and not that oribl torsion bar susp
regards malcolm
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

reblack68 wrote:That was my next question, would you then be able to make a steel sprung Xantia with the leftovers? :lol: :lol:
An Xantia with no LHM and coil springs, would be a 406 in disguise, and would lose its character.
ACTIVA

ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

regards malcolm
What was the reason for that addition?
ACTIVA