Converting the Forum Slowly

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Converting the Forum Slowly

Post by CitroJim »

As support for the version of phpBB we're currently using soon runs out and further updates, critically security updates, will be no more, I did my first trial conversion to upgrade to phpBB version 3.

This I did on a test platform completely independant to the main forums and is invisible to all but me. The conversion is a long task. It took 3 hours to do the FCF and a few errors were flagged up, like the 7 members called "n/a" :lol:

It is not likely to go live anytime soon as much work needs to be done to ensure it is good and that our current webserver can take it as phpBB3 is a lot more resource hungry. I also need to be very sure of what I'm doing before risking it on the live forum.

I used last nights backups to do the conversion so it shows, if nothing else that the backups work!

It has a lot of new feature, most of which I have not yet found out. As I do, I'll report on progress. The FCF is just the start, the BXC also needs to be done! Thankfully that's a smaller board so should be easier.

As a taster, here is what the new look FCF might look like:

Index Page

Subforum Page

Post Page

It's very different :lol: The screenshots were chosen to get as comprehensive a view as possible.

What do you think?
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Ross_K
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2009 Citroen C5 VTR+ HDi 1.6
2004 Toyota Prius
2004 Alfa Romeo 156 1.6 Twin Spark

Post by Ross_K »

Looks good. Keep up the good work guvnor 8)
ImageImage
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Take me out and shoot me if I have it wrong but I believe that this board is an example of V3.
http://www.nzmessageboard.co.nz/index.php

It has been seriously tweaked by a Scottish web designer to give it its current look and feel. A LOT of work has gone into it and it is constantly being revised in a very subtle fashion.

There are some nice tools with the newer version, including the ability to embed YouTube clips and also full web pages so there is no need to follow links to them.

Like this: http://www.nzmessageboard.co.nz/viewtopic.php?t=4664
You may recognise the avatar. That page belongs here somewhere anyway.

Good luck with the work Jim. Fingers crossed for it all going to plan.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

myglaren wrote:Take me out and shoot me if I have it wrong but I believe that this board is an example of V3.
Well now, that is one seriously lovely board Steve. My jury is out on its version. It has V3 features but looks and feels very similar to a V2 board.

There are a whole plethora of MODs for V2 that gives it much of V3's functionality but on balance, I tend to think it's a V3 board customised to look like a V2 board!

Nothing wrong with that. It is much less of a culture shock for users.

I've already found a problem in V3. It lacks te anti-spambot feature we have currently. There is however a MOD for it which I see the NZ board has!

The example I have posted above is an "out of the box" style. One thing I cannot do is make things look nice. Coding is no problem; prettying it up is! I'm as artistic as a lump of coal :(

I'll try to find an example of a standard, live, V3 board and post it up.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Here is a standard phpBB3 forum to have a look at.

Interesting content as well :lol:

I hope ours will be faster than this particular one though. It's a bit slow to load for me.
Jim

myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

I'll defer to your greater knowledge Jim, I have next to nothing to do down in the engine room other than zap the spammers, of which there were untold quantities until recently but that has been fixed so spam is a very rare sight these days.

I'll agree that that board is very visually attractive but it is the content of the board and the demeanour of the members that are it's signifying factors and I sincerely believe that this board is premier in that department.

Eye candy is nice but a secondary element.
I do like some of the posting tools in that one though, as said previously.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

citrojim wrote:Here is a standard phpBB3 forum to have a look at.

Interesting content as well :lol:

I hope ours will be faster than this particular one though. It's a bit slow to load for me.
Strange, I found it to be far quicker than the FCF (using Safari, that is usually slower than a slow thing)

Looks like a board for insomniacs :)
red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by red_dwarfers »

Its looking good Jim!
I like the sound of YouTube clip embedding, someone should take a video camera along to one of the Citroen Car Club meets :lol:
If you would like a hand with the graphics side I work with Macromedia Flash and Fireworks daily so im not too shabby 8)
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

myglaren wrote: Looks like a board for insomniacs :)
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

This is a seriously nice feature. The ability to embed pictures in posts, complete with scrollbars :D

Ups the database traffic and space needed though :(
Jim

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

red_dwarfers wrote: I like the sound of YouTube clip embedding, someone should take a video camera along to one of the Citroen Car Club meets :lol:
That's a good idea Kev :D
red_dwarfers wrote: If you would like a hand with the graphics side I work with Macromedia Flash and Fireworks daily so im not too shabby 8)
Thanks Kev, I like the thought of making it unique to the FCF with a bit of customisation. Not too loud though as I've seen some boards done :twisted:
Jim

Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Just try phpnuke Jim and theyou'll have some headaches.
Actually it's not that bad.
Will pop over sometime soon and compare notes :D

PHPNUKE site: www.finmereairsoft.co.uk
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool