Torque Wrenches

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Toby_HDi
My Cars:

Torque Wrenches

Post by Toby_HDi »

As I'm planning on doing a lot more to my car than I used to I'm considering if a torque wrench would be a useful investment.

Does anyone have any advice on what to look for?

Obviously I want one with the largest range possible whilst retaining accuracy.

Any thought's on what drive I should be looking at 1/2? 3/8?

I'm thinking maybe £50 or less. Can I get a decent one for this money? Any recommendations on brands or where to get one?

Is it worthwhile to get one?

Thanks
Toby
Stunned Monkey

Post by Stunned Monkey »

the Halfords ones are made by the same people who make Snapon ones - or at least, the adjustmant mechanism and gauge thingy is identical, and very easy to use. Halfords stuff is actually very good, in my semi-professional exprerience. Brittool are also good, as are Clarke (Machine Mart). You won't find many things you can't do with a 3' 1/2" drive wrench. Try and get one with a small "click radius" and one that is easily reversible. The halfords ones require the end to be popped off and reversed. The Brittool ones aren't terribly easy to read the setting.

IMO the torque setting doesn't have to be fantastically accurate - often you're measuring a very tight torque, and with stuff like head bolts, it's more important that they're all set the same than the setting be spot on accurate.
Martin
-------
Old Faithful: Silver V-reg Xantia HDi Exclusive, died due to tin worm @ 259k miles
New Faithful: Silver W-reg Xantia HDi Exclusive, 169k miles and counting...
Previous: Various BX's, XM V6 24,
Venturi Atlantique 300, Alpine A610
Toby_HDi
My Cars:

Post by Toby_HDi »

Thanks Stunned Monkey

So a 1/2" one. Would buying reducers be a good idea? For the smaller bolts?

With bolts that require low torques, below range of wrench, would you just set the wrench to its lowest setting and then stop before hit the torque?

Are the Halfords ones breakaway?
reblack68
My Cars:

Post by reblack68 »

Halfords have more than one range of tools. The good stuff is called "Professional".
Richard

No French cars of my own at present.
Care of a 1994 205 D.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

The very low torque settings quoted for many covers etc are really an indication that they should not be done up very tight. Even if you have the right tool you'll never bother to set it up to do up rocker covers etc. I simply use small spanners and don't pull very hard and try and get them even.

3/8 drive wrenches go a little lower but you've got to assemble all the bits to tighten covers and so tend to rely on experience and a simple spanner.

I have a cheap Clarke 1/2 inch torque wrench which I bought as I suspected my 30 year old one might have seen better days - and while it does what it says - I don't think its very easy to use. My old one is a Norbar which I think is very similar to the Halfords one in that it has a knob on the end and 2 scales visible through 2 windows and is far easier to use.

Bear in mind the size of the thing - if its 3 ft long you've got to have room to swing it!
jeremy
lolingram
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by lolingram »

The very low torque settings quoted for many covers etc are really an indication that they should not be done up very tight. Even if you have the right tool you'll never bother to set it up to do up rocker covers etc. I simply use small spanners and don't pull very hard and try and get them even.
Thing about bolt and stud tightening is that the items concerned should be under correct torsion tension, so that this keeps them from coming loose. When this is not convenient (the 'old' pre-war RR engines were ALWAYs thus), the some form of threadlock has to be employed. The used to be the reason for torque wrenches, but alas, things change.

Just my 4 pennorth.
R.I.P. January 2010.
XM 2.1 auto VSX 1996 - Bosch Inj, Xantia HDi 90 estate 1999, Xantia 1.9TD 1997
Previously...
GS 1970, Dyane 1974, Xantia 94 VSX TD, XM 94, 2.1 auto - Lucas Inj, XM 92 2.1 estate - Lucas Inj
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

Back in the days of spanners each and every spanner was made a suitable length for the size of nuts it would turn. This was first standardised during WW2 to help ease production and meant that each spanner gave suitable leverage and the average person would be able to tell when a nut or bolt was tight enough.

Today in the era of socket set you're tightening all of the different sizes of nut with the same fixed length of lever. As an example my 1/2" socket set goes from 8mm up to 32mm, obviously I have to pull on the end of my wratchet pretty hard to do up the biggeset bolts where as I can easilly twist off the smaller ones. Obviously common sense does prevail and I don't use my 1/2" set on 8mm nor on 32mm nuts, 1/4" and 3/4" sets are more appropriate for those sizes.

Its the of the socket set that makes the torque wrench a necessity for things that need to be tightened the right amount.
lolingram
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by lolingram »

Back in the days of spanners each and every spanner was made a suitable length for the size of nuts it would turn. This was first standardised during WW2 to help ease production and meant that each spanner gave suitable leverage and the average person would be able to tell when a nut or bolt was tight enough.

Today in the era of socket set you're tightening all of the different sizes of nut with the same fixed length of lever. As an example my 1/2" socket set goes from 8mm up to 32mm, obviously I have to pull on the end of my wratchet pretty hard to do up the biggeset bolts where as I can easilly twist off the smaller ones. Obviously common sense does prevail and I don't use my 1/2" set on 8mm nor on 32mm nuts, 1/4" and 3/4" sets are more appropriate for those sizes.

Its the of the socket set that makes the torque wrench a necessity for things that need to be tightened the right amount.
I would add that some folk are just plainly useless at judging tightness... my son in law - an otherwise excellent mechanic and a PhD to boot (rare) - will twist off small bolts until the cows come home regardless of the tooling! I am better at this, and only resort to a torque wrench for head/flywheel tightening. I have spent the last few years as an armourer in my spare(!) time, and rifle bbls are tightened often to about 200 lbs/ft., which keeps one's parameters well spread.
R.I.P. January 2010.
XM 2.1 auto VSX 1996 - Bosch Inj, Xantia HDi 90 estate 1999, Xantia 1.9TD 1997
Previously...
GS 1970, Dyane 1974, Xantia 94 VSX TD, XM 94, 2.1 auto - Lucas Inj, XM 92 2.1 estate - Lucas Inj