hand cleaner

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Toby_HDi wrote:If I have some lying about I'll use petrol :lol:
Don't do that Toby :shock: Petrol strips all the natural oils from your skin and does harm. For goodness sakes use proper hand cleaner!

Whatever you do, don't ever be tempetd to use diesel, there is always a risk of contact dermatitis.

And the same to those who use washing up liquid. It's OK dilute for doing dishes but not neat on your hands.. You'd may as well wash your hands with sulphuric acid.. It's lethel to your skin.

Our hands are the most valuable tools we have. Look after them please.

I'm a great fan of Neutrogena Norwegian Formula for giving your hands a bit of TLC after a lot of work and cleaning.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Toby_HDi
My Cars:

Post by Toby_HDi »

citrojim wrote: Don't do that Toby :shock: Petrol strips all the natural oils from your skin and does harm. For goodness sakes use proper hand cleaner!

Whatever you do, don't ever be tempetd to use diesel, there is always a risk of contact dermatitis.
That's me told! :lol:
f00lzz
My Cars:

Post by f00lzz »

citrojim wrote:
And the same to those who use washing up liquid. It's OK dilute for doing dishes but not neat on your hands.. You'd may as well wash your hands with sulphuric acid.. It's lethel to your skin.

It's OK Jim, don't worry.. I only use 'mild green fairy liquid' and my hands are 'as soft as my face' :D
Ian
Account Ref: 6419

Current Cars
Nissan X-Trail SVE
Saab 2.2TiD
Merc E270 Estate

Past Citroens
2001 Xantia 3.0 Exclusive
1999 Xantia 1.9TD
1997 Xantia 3.0 Exclusive
1995 XM 3.0 Exclusive Estate
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

f00lzz wrote:
citrojim wrote:

It's OK Jim, don't worry.. I only use 'mild green fairy liquid' and my hands are 'as soft as my face' :D
That sounds judicious :D
thorter
My Cars:

Post by thorter »

If with advancing years you find none of the available hand cleaners satisfactory, you can get "Emulsifying Ointment BP" from chemists. Despite the name, this works extremely well for removing dirty oil and grease. It is a bit slower to use than hand cleaner, but on the other hand is generally beneficial.

It comes in 500 g tubs for about £4. If your hands are really dirty it pays to apply two lots, the first wiped off dry with kitchen paper before a second application that you wash off with water.

Fred
FrenchLeave
My Cars:

Post by FrenchLeave »

You used to be able to buy a soap called "Zixt", it contained ground pummice and was very good. Anyone know if it's still available?
1999 XM V6 Exclusive, Black
1994 XM 2.0 TurboCT estate, green of course: now gone to no3 son
2004 C3 1.6 auto exclusive with Sensodrive - the wife's but she doesn't like it
1994 ZX 1.8i auto - the wife's new baby

Gammy leg
My Cars:

Post by Gammy leg »

I still use a tub of Swarfega green that I liberated from a job about 20 years ago. It is now almost black in colour from all the times I have dipped my oily hands in it and is really watery, but seems to work better now than ever........... Stinks mind you!

Gammy