Not a citroen problem but....

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Bren
My Cars:

Not a citroen problem but....

Post by Bren »

My fathers 99 mondeo TD is smoking a bit - it's blue not black - any ideas? If the engine is revved it smokes but it gets worse when he takes his foot off the gas. Bear in mind the car has covered less than 70k and has a stamped book (but no invoices). He recently changed the oil and put the correct grade in - it has gotten worse since then. It makes us wonder if it had been filled with 20/50 or some kind of additive to hide the problem.

I tried to convince him to buy a xantia, but he was having none of it.

Ford diesel engines truly are crap.
96'Xantia 1.9 td estate
93'gsxr- 750
85' Rover 3500 (work in progress)
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Re: Not a citroen problem but....

Post by myglaren »

Bren wrote:My fathers 99 mondeo TD is smoking a bit - it's blue not black - any ideas? If the engine is revved it smokes but it gets worse when he takes his foot off the gas. Bear in mind the car has covered less than 70k and has a stamped book (but no invoices). He recently changed the oil and put the correct grade in - it has gotten worse since then. It makes us wonder if it had been filled with 20/50 or some kind of additive to hide the problem.

I tried to convince him to buy a xantia, but he was having none of it.

Ford diesel engines truly are crap.
F**d buy their diesel engines from PSA :cry:

Blue smoke generally indicates oil being burned - there is usually a fairly distinctive smell attached too.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Hi Bren :D

Not a Citroen ...
So moved to the "Off topic" forum, which we dont have (yet), but the general Chat (& Chit) forum may do.

Before you doom the un-mentioned engine, you may as well doom previous owners for their crap maintenance :roll:
The blue smoke is beyond any doubts engine oil taking part in the combustion.

There is absolutely nothing wrong in using a good old mineral 20W50 - all year in UK mainland - in a mistreated oil burner. Provided it is the earlier type IDI diesel.
The later type TDI/HDI diesel engines are commonly specified for a much thinner viscosity grade oil like 5W30 or 5W40

There are a few items to check up, before you 100% doom the engine as mistreated :
1) Often the air inlet ducting and air filter pot may be soaked in engine oil condensed from the crank ventilation. This is a nasty - but easy - task to tune up.
2) You may have a bit too large diameter hosing from vent to airfilter allowing too much suction.
In some cases any oil restrictor may have collapsed, allowing for too much suction from the sump.
3) You mentioned the correct GRADE, but what about other specs on the engine oil ?
What does the Ford spec recommand for this Diesel engine type. There are API specs and diesel specs besides the oil viscosity grade to cater for on engine oils.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Re: Not a citroen problem but....

Post by Kowalski »

myglaren wrote:F**d buy their diesel engines from PSA :cry:
You're absolutely right, Ford do by SOME of their diesel engines from PSA, for example the 1.4, 1.6 and SOME of the 2 litre engines come from PSA. The 1.8 and 2.0 litre engines found in the Mondeo are not PSA engines except for the 2.0 in the latest (2007-)Mondeos.
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

The new Citroen Relay van has a Ford engine in it !
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

wheeler wrote:The new Citroen Relay van has a Ford engine in it !
Crikey that must be noisy :lol:
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

wheeler wrote:The new Citroen Relay van has a Ford engine in it
Are you sure?

The Citroen / Fiat / Peugeot commercial vehicles are made by a joint venture of the three brands, so while the Berlingo and Dispatch are made in France the larger vans are made in Italy. That means that the french made vans get french made engines (e.g. XUD, DW10 (HDI)) even when they have italian badges (Fiat JTD) they have french engines. Conversely the italian made vans have italian engines even when the badging says they're french.
DickieG wrote:Crikey that must be noisy :lol:
The latest transit van engines are no worse than the latest Fiat (i.e. Citroen + Peugeot) van engines. Transit vans are getting quite nice quality plastics inside them compared to what they have had in the past!
reblack68
My Cars:

Post by reblack68 »

There are various diesel vehicles around my house- several vans, a small digger, a couple of 4x4s as well as the usual cars. By far the noisiest and coarsest is my neighbour's 07 plate Astra. My Transit is quite refined in comparison.
Richard

No French cars of my own at present.
Care of a 1994 205 D.