10p per litre??!!

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Turboselecta
My Cars:

10p per litre??!!

Post by Turboselecta »

On a rare train journey into Waterloo yesterday, I lost all fiscal control & bought an Independent (good grief).
Once I was able to sit down & get my glasses on 8) I skimmed the 'Beat The Pump' article (fat chance). I found the following quote hard to believe:-
'Finally, if you've got a diesel car that's 20 yrs old or more, there's a good chance you can get it to run on vegetable oil (oh really?), which you should be able to pick up for as little as 10p a litre from a local restaurant'.
If they are referring to waste oil surely this is complete nonsense!- waste oil cannot be used directly- or have I lost the plot??!! (Are we being misled by an august publication- again??) :roll:
If I could get the fuel bill for the ZX Aura fleet down to 10p per litre I'd launch into a world tour!
C5 VTR Estate 110 HDi
ZX Turbo D Aura
reblack68
My Cars:

Post by reblack68 »

I think it's a rare case of a journalist getting his information from "man in pub". Of course by rare I mean common.

I don't know if there's anything in this, which also claims to be 10p a litre.

http://www.efuel100.com/
Richard

No French cars of my own at present.
Care of a 1994 205 D.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

They must think we are running our cars on water - which you would be very lucky to get for 10p/L in a supermarket or restaurant. :(
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Two very worrying and very untrue statements:

"Any diesel over 20 years old can run on veg oil and any petrol engine can run on Ethanol."

If followed to the letter, there are going to be a lot of dead Lucas injection pumps and a lot of very unhappy petrol engine owners.

Waste Veg Oil use can be disaterous even if the car can run happily on fresh, new veg oil due to the contaminants in it.

100% ehanol use requires a very different air:fuel ratio and unless properly adapted, most petrol injection systems cannot cope with it. Nor can the seals is an older fuel systems and due to its scouring action on fuel systems, similar to that when using veg in a diesel, there'll be a lot of blocked filters or worse.

Mind you, a machine that makes automotive ethanol from sugar is most applealing. A great use for all the sugar beet in East Anglia and diverting sugar into fuel might just make the nations diet healthier...

Now, if only we could shovel sugar beet directly into our tanks..
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
reblack68
My Cars:

Post by reblack68 »

I've read a bit more of that site and it seems you need 10-14LBs of sugar to make a gallon. That's about £4 before you've even bought any other ingredients or paid for the power to run the machine.

If you can get hold of enough waste beer, wine or spirits you can do it for 10c per gallon.

All in all it seems it really is too good to be true.
Richard

No French cars of my own at present.
Care of a 1994 205 D.
evilally
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by evilally »

Pouring waste veg oil straight into the tank would be disasterous, even although you see it being done on TV (5th Gear springs to mind). However there are some cars (or engines) that will run on filtered waste veggy oil. I bought my '96 405 for this very purpose, as I get good quality WVO from work for free. I filter down to 5 micron and heat it to make the water seperate. Then I mix with 10-15% petrol to thin it and add a cetane improver. The final product costs about 15ppl 8)
'96 405 1.6 GLX with 306 GTI engine on Cat cams @ 195bhp

'05 RenaultSport Clio 182 Cup, 102k

'97 406 1.9TD, 314k.
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

the EFuel100 MicroFueler™ makes home ethanol distillation possible, cost-effective, and safe.
But the last time I checked, illegal.

Otherwise everyone would have a still in their back garden. :D
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Wonder Fuel?

It's a wonder people are so stupid.
JAKARTA (AFP) - A controversial plan backed by Indonesia's president to turn water into cheap and limitless energy has run aground, with tests showing the wonder fuel is just plain diesel, a report said Tuesday.

Government scientists have revealed that tests on the so-called "Blue Energy," purportedly made from water, showed it was diesel from state oil company Pertamina, the Jakarta Post reported.

"Blue Energy is nothing extraordinary as it is just a form of hydrocarbon or fossil fuel," Research and Technology Minister Kusmayanto Kadiman was quoted as saying.

The energy "breakthrough" grabbed headlines in Indonesia after its inventor, Joko Suprapto, managed to convince President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono he could separate hydrogen from water, turning it into diesel.

The plan was exhibited at the United Nations climate change conference in Bali in December with the president's blessing.

Suprapto went missing last month but was found in a hospital in West Java suffering from heart problems after Yudhoyono, fearing he had been abducted by jealous oil barons, ordered a police search, Tempo news magazine reported.
Yahoo News
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

£4 a gallon blimey I'll ave some of that its nearly £6 a gallon now...lol