What are you doing to save fuel?

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

steviewonder7
My Cars:

Post by steviewonder7 »

What am I doing to save fuel..........Well I'm doing less unimportant trips and walking more.Its suprising the lack of people you see walking and dont come across on your journey.It make me feel better keeping me a little fitter.If I could cycle to work I would but its 36 mile round trip and the roads are not suitable for pushbikes and are too dangerous.We should have more cycle lanes and be more like the Dutch people.
On the one hand we have the government saying we need to be greener(global warming etc) but they wont put the coffer's into the necessary area's for this to happen as they will LOSE too much revenue from us.
1994 Xantia 1.9TD sx non anti sink.No aircon.Gone to the great scappy up above.

Now with Xsara Picasso 2.0 HDI (90 bhp)(03 plate) in 'Wicked Red'
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

I've finally got round to going to my local indy.
There is a slight weep on the rear suspension that need seeing to before it becomes a problem.
While it is there he is going to check the injectors, the EGR, MAP, MAF and the Turbo to see if he can pinpoint why it seems a bit flat and has questionable economy.
Likely there is nothing wrong and the fault lies betwen the steering wheel and the seat.
He is also going to check the suspension, which I feel is a litle on the hard side. Maybe I just need a trip in another car.
Actually, I have been driving my son's 306 and it seems pretty good to me, as does my daughters Saab 900, which leaves mine in it's wake.

Completely forgot to ask him for his address and phone number - I always go in person, don't like phones, and I know where he is but couldn't tell you the address with any exactitude.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

myglaren wrote: Completely forgot to ask him for his address and phone number - I always go in person, don't like phones, and I know where he is but couldn't tell you the address with any exactitude.
When you do Steve, let me know and I'll pop him in the Recommended garages area.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

I'm taking it in on Thursday and have a list of things for him to check and a reminder to get a letterhead.
Should I forget, Laura's SAAB is going in when mine is seen to.

Anyone want to buy a tatty SAAB for twice what it is worth? :D
Goes like stink!
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

A new twist on biodiesel, handy if you happen to have a Rolls-Royce jet turbine installed in your 2CV.
The Register
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Save fuel, save the planet

Post by myglaren »

Here is confirmation of what many have said here in this and other threads, that modern vehicles, for various reasons but mainly associated with safety, have become far too heavy and therefore less fuel efficient than their predecessors despite the improvements in engine technology.

The Beeb has an article concerning just this increase in weight and how we should implement a technology not immediately recognised as being concerned with fuel conservation.

Another one, directly related to the above, is a development in Sweden as a side project of one of it's largest industries ( no, not s.e.x*. Go to the back of the class that boy!)

Not the Tetrapack either but close :D

*had to put the full-stops in as it the nanniemachine converted it to "computer virus".

On preview I thought - Jeez, I know my spelling is crap but I hadn't realised it had got that bad.
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Drove down to Portsmouth to spend Sunday with a friend, doing 55-60mph all the way.
It's amazing how little fuel I used, and how many other cars were doing the same.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Pootled around North Yorkshire yesterday and saw diesel in many places for £1.35/L

Filled up with Biodiesel made from virgin rapeseed oil, £1.15/L.

The company claim that it is now more cost effective, simpler and the end result is a beter product that using WVO.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Here is another development that may stave off the need for cars to run on chickenshit for a while.
Times Online