Calling all Heath Robinsons

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Calling all Heath Robinsons

Post by MikeT »

Hi, (cheekily) I have a project I'd like you to help me with. I would like to have the use of an air compressor but cannot justify the purchase of one and have no electricity nearby other than the 12v in my battery and a solar trickle charger :lol: I was thinking a spare tyre can act as the pressurised air source (which I can replenish with my 12v inflator if need be) Can anyone think of easy/cheap-to-get-hold-of items that would make ideal valves, adpaters, hoses & outlets? I recall a VW beetle had something similar to power the windscreen washers.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

An airline Mike, is one of the most useful tools ever in a workshop. I'd be lost without mine :( I do all sorts with mine. Apart from blowing dirt away, it blows up tyres, drives a selection of air tools including an incredibly useful rattle-gun, air chisel and drill.

The tyre idea is OK but very limited. You have little air capacity and not really enough pressure. 100psi is what you need for effectivly blowing things clean. A flat tyre takes forever to pump up with one of those little 12V inflators and will soon pull down your battery. You do not want to pump a tyre up above abouit 40psi in any case. they get very dangerous if really over-inflated.

Before I got my current one I had a real Heath Robinson job. It consisted of an old lorry air brake compressor driven by an old washing machine motor and this blew up an old 33 lb (15Kg) Calor Gas cylinder as a receiver. I could pump it to around 100psi and then snap off the line to the compressor and I then had a portable supply of air :D I welded bosses into the cylinder and then fitted two QD couplings, a pressure gauge and a safety valve. I guess Calor Gas would take an incredibly dim view of what I did to one of their cylinders but it was an old one...

Conmpressed air is dangerous and safety is paramount. Always use proper lines, fittings and tools. Always have a safety valve and gauge fitted to the receiver. Compressed air fittings are really quite cheap from places like Machine Mart and should always be used. Heath Robinson is OK but bodges are not when it comes to compressed air. It really is lethal stuff.

A decent compressor can be picked up complete from the likes of Machine Mart these days for silly money so the effort of making something is hardly worth it these days. They do some little portable ones that would meet your needs perfectly. get one with a reasonably sized receiver and you could blow it up in your house and then take it out to your work site. They usually have wheels on them.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

My son in law bought a Honda genny and compressor for £50 from eBay.
It was excellent until some custard stole it, along with all his other tools.
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

Looks like I'll have to stick with my original plan - lungs and bicycle pump :lol:
Only £110 remains from the white car :roll: :wink:
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

LOL @ custard (has this site got a certain filter going on, I love that game!) :lol:

Now you're getting me paranoid, what with the earlier report of having their lovely car nicked just when they'd given blood, sweat and tears to get it so. I and my tools will be in sight of just about every local **** for miles - next to the only shop in town. :shock:
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

An old fridge compressor will develop a surprisingly high pressure. Just ensure that you don't lose the oil with the air, and don't release the original CFC refrigerant to the atmosphere!
I realise that this won't help away from a mains supply (unless you use an inverter, and keep the engine running), but it is a very cheap way of getting high pressure air, albeit at low volume.
ellevie
My Cars:

Post by ellevie »

Less than two months ago Aldi were doing a compressor for £69.99 inc vat., which seemed pretty good value for the spec compared to Machine Mart. They might well still have a few in stock.
http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/58_5174.htm

Here's the spec:

2.5HP, 1.87kW 230V motor
Operates from a 13amp plug
Air displacement: 270 litres/minute
Maximum working pressure: 8 bar (120psi)
24 litre capacity air receiver
Fully automatic STOP/START control
2 air outlets
2 pressure gauges
Fitted safety and non-return valve and drain valve
Accessory kit includes: gravity feed spray gun, professional spray gun, long nozzle sprayer/paraffin gun, blow gun, long nozzle extension for blow gun, jet blast wash gun, tyre inflator, 7 piece inflator/deflator set for footballs, li-los, inflatable boats, etc
Airbrush kit includes: airbrush, 60cc and 22cc paint jars, 1.5 metre air hose with air compressor fitting
10 metre and 5 metre air hoses
Quick release couplings
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

Some guys are using old fridge compressors and Calor bottles as receivers to store air.......interesting aint it? They have a few banks of them to store air when using hungry equipment like sanblasters etc. It`s not straightforward mind you...........bit of faffing. The Aldi unit is a Wolf I think. It will tackle stuff like small spray jobs and schutz gun .

I just bought another cheap one at £150 new . 3hp and 50 ltre tank. First one was the same and lasted 8yrs. Couldn`t be without it. Blowing through carbs, undersealing. pumping up the wifes tyres and...........it works a little Plasma Cutter!

Be aware that cheap compressors will not work rattle guns air chisels etc properly. They just aint got the power to drive them :(
Be nice to have a big Hydrovane 8)
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

I've found a solution. I can use the remaining gas in my nitrous oxide bottle.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

MikeT wrote:I've found a solution. I can use the remaining gas in my nitrous oxide bottle.
That'll be a laugh....

<gets coat and makes for the door..>
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

#-o

Corny Jim, corny. :D
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

MikeT wrote:#-o

Corny Jim, corny. :D
I know :oops: Sorry, I just could not help myself :lol: :roll:
Jim