Insurance

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Insurance

Post by MikeT »

I just asked to have my insurance transferred and they've increased my premium by £80 p.a. but couldn't tell me why other than it's a "higher-rated car". :(

With a £20 admin fee bundled on top I'm not happy at all with the quote but what can I do? If I cancel and shop around again I'll lose out on cancellation fees, will have to buy another year's insurance and have to wait for whatever little refund I get.

I'm tempted to give the car to a friend and just drive it on my current policy "any car not belonging to me" clause but not sure the legality of that as I've sold the car that I'm insured for.

All suggestions and ideas welcome.
elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Post by elma »

That would be sort of ok, but your friend would have to pay to insure themself on the car.

You are only insured on someone elses car if they are as well. Also if you did have an accident or it was stolen whilst in your care the insurance wouldn't cover it as you would only be 3rd party.

At least you changed car to put your quote up, last year mine went up £100 at the same address with the same car!

End of the day insurers have us by the throat and we can't do to much about it unless you want to crash into lots of things to get your moneys worth out of them. (I suggest aim for their office in one of these road legal monsters http://www.tanksforsale.co.uk/BMP1_APC_ ... e_page.htm)

Legal on the road for approx £5000 including buying it, obtaining the correct license and insuring it. It's amphibious as well so you can get your own back on that goose that chased you as a child.

It is my dream to get one of these when I qualify, it would enable me to get over to Anglesea (Island on N Wales coast) in no time when the bridges are jammed. I also would start a vendetta against every stupid woman in a 4x4 who has ever tried to bully me or tried the "I'm bigger than you so you move" stunt. In fact I might go buy one now, I'm getting prity p'd off with the stupid Cardiff drivers who don't understand traffic lights, give way lines and the concept that two cars cannot be in the same place at the same time or they get broken.

Don't get mad, drive over 'em 8)
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

elma said it.

I'm insured through Liverpool Victoria.

I do have a sneaking suspicion that I may be able to get a policy at a slightly lower rate BUT they are so efficient, accommodating, good at explaining all the various ins and outs, I never have to wait for more than a couple of minutes to speak to anyone and they are all reasonably well spoken and articulate that I am loath to change insurers.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

myglaren wrote:elma said it.

I'm insured through Liverpool Victoria.
I am as well, top company. Been with them ever since I began driving. As an employee of Her Majesty, I get a nice discount as well :D

Mike, they're local to you, down at County gates in Bournemouth!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Post by elma »

I'd recommend CIS for prity much the same reasons.

Though I don't think Mike is in a position to change insurers at present.

Have you asked them what the cancellation fees are?

If your ncb is 5yrs + it doesn't really matter if you lose out on an extra year, you have max discount anyway.

Norwich union offer good policys on larger, tracked, machines.
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

I hear what you're saying elma. Country doesn't want to pay fair wages, fat cats want more cream. Taxpayer's being robbed (after plundering the pensions pot) to allow the fat cats to keep getting £multimillion bonuses for making crap decisions.

My last renewal went from £370 (I think) to £535 without explanation so I jumped ship. As you say, if it's mid-term they've really got you by the short and curlys.

I didn't ask what the cancellation fee was because I'm on a budget that cannot spare the cost of another year's insurance while waiting for a refund and I'll be damned if I were to pay in installments.

I lost my previous NCB because I gave up driving for several years. When I queried the unexpectedly high premiums a few years ago I was patronisingly told "there's more traffic on the roads than when you were driving" like I've been living in a cave or something. :evil: I laughed and said "I don't think I want to be insured by you" and the sales consultant hung up on me :roll:
rory_perrett
My Cars: Xantia Exclusive 110Hdi Estate 1999

Post by rory_perrett »

Unfortunately mid year they've got you and they know it. Basically they will "buy" new business once they've got you you are fair game either when you make a change or renew the following year.

I had the same thing, switched to a lower group car but got stung. Explaination, "rates change every day and the rates have gone up since you took out your insurance 8 months ago, the premium for your current car would be even more, sir".

It was actually cheaper to cancel the policy and take out a new one with another company.

Rory
reblack68
My Cars:

Post by reblack68 »

I've always thought, and still do think insurance should be illegal, not compulsory.
Richard

No French cars of my own at present.
Care of a 1994 205 D.
THELABMAN
My Cars:

Post by THELABMAN »

What gets me is that insurance brokers charge you a brokers fee which is meant to cover administrative charges, yet they hit you for a fee of at least £20 for administrative work if you change any details during the life of the policy....

What's the first charge for then, as they still get a cut from the insurance company for selling you the policy in the first place, when I started driving back in 1977 changes mid term cost nothing as the brokers fee covered it.

I'd to put my Sensation back on the road at the start of May and it cost me £25 to change over then the insurance company wanted another £20 for no apparent reason other than it was about 5 months newer than the LX I was replacing, managed to avoid that though by changing details and milleages as I'm not working just now but it's just another rip off....
Citroen C5 2.0 HDI SX Hatchback - 2002 (52)
Xantia Sensation 1.9TD (T) Mallard Green (Gone to the breakers)
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

I have changed my car several time mid-term and only been charged a minimal fee, between £9 and £23 which I suspect is more to do with altering the details than any change int the actual cover costs.

I don't query it (it has never occurred to me to do so) as the charges seem quite reasonable to me.

My renewal notice just arrived and although I will go through the motions of trying to find a cheaper policy I don't expect to have much success.
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

On the original question, I understand that insurance companies are clamping down on motorists who regularly use a car under another owner's policy. It became almost standard practice for young drivers to use their parents' policies in this way to avoid the extortionate premiums quoted for their own policies. The insurers argue that the 'any other driver with permission' clause is intended for exceptional use, not regular driving, and is invalid if the 'other person' is the usual driver.
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

dnsey, I think you're confusing two seperate issues. Named drivers can only drive the insured vehicle whereas (Full Comp'd) policy holders are entitled to TP cover on any vehicle not belonging to them.

As for your understanding of "intent", I suspect that is another rumour spread by the brokers in the hope of dodging responsibility?

However, it's all academic now as I've got a "lesser-rated car" as my daily driver and although the premium is reduced, I was told that I would not be getting a refund :evil: