First £70+ fill-up

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

MikeT wrote:Is it still true that diesel cost less to produce than petrol?
Years ago Mike, I think it would have been true to say that diesel did cost less to produce, being quite a low-grade product somewhere between light lubrucating oil and paraffin.

These days it may be on a par or even dearer as diesel has to undergo processes to remove sulphur (tor produce ULSD) and then, because sulphur was always a bonus for its pump lubrucity properties, a lubricity additive now has to be added.

The question to ask is how much per litre is red diesel and how much is domestic heating oil. The latter is very similar to old-school DERV chemically. As a final one, how much is Jet-A1 fuel per litre? That again is very similar to diesel. Those figures should tell you how much it costs to produce modern DERV.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

I've just filled up . £74 for 62 Litres.
I think I may have to push the car to work soon.
DaiRees
My Cars:

Post by DaiRees »

Broke my record yesterday, £76.30 for 70l of unleaded. That would be £84 if I had a diesel 406, but it would get me about 50% futher.
406 2.0 HPi Exec Estate

http://www.406oc.co.uk
reblack68
My Cars:

Post by reblack68 »

I filled my car yesterday in one of the cheaper stations I could find. £85 :shock:

Before I started my new job in March it had just started costing £70 to fill up so that's a 20% increase.

Maybe I'm cynical but I can't help thinking this has nothing to do with OPEC, Gordon Brown or the "credit crunch". I think it took a long time for all petrol pumps to be able to accept prices over 99.9p and they are reaping the rewards now.
Richard

No French cars of my own at present.
Care of a 1994 205 D.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Time for a revolution lads.
Where's Napoleon when you need him?
steviewonder7
My Cars:

Post by steviewonder7 »

I agree with myglaren...we let the government ride over us roughshod too often...we need to stand up and make our voices heard.
There was an email going around my place of work asking people to boycott two of the biggest oil company's in this country..BP and Esso.Use other perol/diesel filling places and let these two feel the pinch and maybe ,maybe they'll have second thoughts about their pricing. :roll:
This could then follow on to other oil company's and they'ed recieve the same treatment.
In fact a local bus company are cutting long distance services because of the losse they are making,mainly down to the increased cost of fuel. :cry:
1994 Xantia 1.9TD sx non anti sink.No aircon.Gone to the great scappy up above.

Now with Xsara Picasso 2.0 HDI (90 bhp)(03 plate) in 'Wicked Red'
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

We forgive you Guy Fawkes!! I agree, something needs to be done as "democracy" isn't working!

The message I'm getting from our leaders is; "Your country doesn't need you so leave if you don't like it."

I'm afraid boycotting certain forecourts will just be a drop in the ocean and won't change a thing IMO.

What we need is large scale civil disobedience but that won't happen either. :x
reblack68
My Cars:

Post by reblack68 »

Make no mistake, if the government removed all fuel duty the fuel companies would still charge the same at the pumps.
Richard

Care of a 1994 205 D.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

They're making it up as they go along :evil: Just topped up the 2.1TD at 129.9p per litre :roll: I did jokingly ask the cashier if the price they charge was to pay for the blingy new pumps they had installed last week. A blank stare was the reply, as usual :lol:

It was barely 5 weeks ago that we were staggered to see diesel at 120.9p at a motorway services..

At this rate, it'll soon be cheaper to run the Activa as a daily runabout and save the diesel for weekends :roll:
MikeT wrote:What we need is large scale civil disobedience but that won't happen either.
Civil disobedience is a thought Mike but they know they have us by the short and curlys and we all depend on our vehicles to a greater or lesser extent to earn our living and in a lot of cases, to live. As a result we'll pay whatever they choose to charge simply because we really have no option but to do otherwise. I live in a small town and not so long ago, it had a wide enough variey of shops and most of your needs could be got within waking distance. Now most of what you need is a car journey to the nearest big town. All the shops are either fancy restaurants, charity shops or luxury goods. If I want fancy ceramic tiles or bespoke blinds, not a problem; they're on my doorstep. If I need a tap washer or a tin of paint it's a car journey. Public transport is not an option unless you plan very carefully, enjoy tours of Milton Keynes sink estates and have most of the day to spare.

So, as I say, they have us trapped :evil:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

The poll tax riots got their attention but, as you say Jim, we're not desperate enough to make the sacrifices required. I suppose you could say it's all our own doing. :?

Does anyone know what the 1.9TD will cost to tax when the new charges hit the 7+ yr old cars? I got wind of this on the news that they'll be hit the hardest so I'm now reconsidering the wisdom of spending on maintenance.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

MikeT wrote: Does anyone know what the 1.9TD will cost to tax when the new charges hit the 7+ yr old cars? I got wind of this on the news that they'll be hit the hardest so I'm now reconsidering the wisdom of spending on maintenance.
You can relax relax on that score Mike. My interpretation of the new rules is that the swinging increases only apply to the larger engined cars registered/made since 2001, the date the official CO2 emissions for new cars were published. Under the scheme, next year a 2002 1.8 Vectra, say, will be paying about twice what they are this year.

Pre-2001 cars have no publishd "offficial" CO2 figures so they will be charged at the current rate plus a bit more. Currently £200 per annum in 2009.

Paradoxically, that'll make pre-2001 cars sought after as in many cases, the bigger ones will be cheaper to tax by a considerable margin that their younger bretheren.

Cynically, I think the government are trying to run old cars off the road by doing this and persuading punters to buy nice, new "clean" cars. Of course all they are doing is lining the manufactures pockets and being very un-green :twisted:

I hope they believe the number of pre-2001 cars left on the road is minimal now so we're not worth the effort of taxing off the road. After all, if we run an old banger now, we're poor and hardly likely to buy a shiny new car are we? So no point in persecuting us is there?

No doubt when they see the value of pre-2001 cars go through the roof, I guess they'll change their minds and really sting us for being frugal and green :twisted: :twisted:

All I know, you'll never beat 'em for long :(

EDIT: the legislation relating to pre-2001 cars is well buried. I wonder why?
Jim

reblack68
My Cars:

Post by reblack68 »

I heard something about that on the news tonight too. Whoever wrote the news script doesn't understand what's happening.

The tax on pre-2001 vehicles isn't changing, barring the usual £5 or £10 increases. For vehicles UNDER 7 years old there are going to be more tax bands and the ones with the highest CO2 emissions will rise to £400 per year.
Richard

Care of a 1994 205 D.
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

I guess that news reporter was just a little too eager/rushed or I misheard them. I'm relieved it's not me about to suffer but it doesn't make it any less sickening.

Meanwhile....
"Hundreds of lorries will drive through the city in convoy and at low speeds on Tuesday while a delegation takes a letter to 10 Downing Street demanding an immediate fuel duty rebate for lorry drivers"

Isn't the Gumment on holiday this week? :lol: :wink:
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

They're making it up as they go along Evil or Very Mad Just topped up the 2.1TD at 129.9p per litre
I just met up with my son in Whitby (he lives in St. Neots and I in Washington) He had had to fill up with standard unleaded @£1.34/L :!:
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

I put £40 of diesel in last night as Costco was shut, got me just over 31L!
So that would have been £80+ to fill her up!
Thankgoodness a tank load of SVO costs around £50.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool