First £70+ fill-up

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

rory_perrett
My Cars: Xantia Exclusive 110Hdi Estate 1999

First £70+ fill-up

Post by rory_perrett »

Filled the old Xantia 2.1TD today, 62 litres at £114.9 per litre total £71.24 first time £70+ fill ever. I’m going to have to walk more, trying to be very good and I’ve managed to average 49.75 mpg out of the last 3 tank fulls but £70 a fill!! Was 73.9p a litre when I got the car 5 years ago that’s an increase of more than £25 a fill – OUCH! And my boss thinks I’m joking when I tell him I’ve just doubled the value of my car by filling it up.

Anyway, another milestone 222,222 miles came up on the clock so here’s the serious question. The car is still on the original injectors. I know in some circles (probably the ones that sell injectors) it is suggested that they should be replaced every 80,000 miles or so, but would new (reconditioned) injectors improve mpg enough to justify their cost? Doesn’t seem to work out. If I’m doing 49.75mpg now, £200 of reconditioned injectors (and that’s a guess at cost) I would have to up my average to 56mpg for the next 80,000 miles to get my money back at current fuel prices which is 12.5% improvement, sounds a bit too much to me.

Rory
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Hi Rory

I know, my 2.1TD was running on fumes when I first picked it up. It took £67-worth then :twisted:

222,222 miles on a 2.1TD! Excellent work! Mine at 91,000 is a real low mileage one then :lol:

On the injector subject, basically, if you're not smoking, you're passing the MOT emissions test without a problem and you're returning nearly 50mpg, I'd leave well alone :D
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
rory_perrett

Post by rory_perrett »

91k, its hardly run in. Enjoy it. I do 20k+ a year so hoping mine will last a while longer yet. Don't like the previous C5 much, new C5 looks great in the pictures but probably won't depreciate as fast so won't be that cheap. While modern cars are a lot more reliable the DIY options are disappearing fast. Just hope there's still some decent Xantias around in 3 - 4 years time when I'm looking for my next replacement.

Rory
reblack68
My Cars:

Post by reblack68 »

If I let the fuel light come on in my work's Transit it costs £90 to fill it. :shock:
Richard

No French cars of my own at present.
Care of a 1994 205 D.
DaiRees
My Cars:

Post by DaiRees »

The 406 has a 70l tank plus reserve, I've had it over £70 a few times recently. Won't be long before we're looking at £80 fill ups the way things are going!! :evil: :evil:
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Not sure where I got it from now, could have been this forum.

PetrolPrices will show you the cheapest prices to fill up in your locality and send weekly updates by email.
This one came yesterday:

Hi Steve,

This is your petrol prices update from www.petrolprices.com. Your
current
settings are to receive e-mail updates weekly.

5 cheapest stations within 5 miles of "NE38 0PE" for Diesel...
---------------------------------------------
Station : G Nicholson Engineers
Address : Blue House Lane, Washington, NE37 2TD
Brand : Total
Distance: 1.62 miles
Price : 114.9p
Updated : 14-04-2008
---------------------------
Station : Shell Whitemare Pool
Address : Whitemare Pool, Gateshead, NE10 8YB
Brand : Shell
Distance: 4.09 miles
Price : 114.9p
Updated : 19-04-2008
Station : Sainsburys Washington
Address : The Galleries, Washington Centre, Washington, NE38 7RU
Brand : Sainsburys
Distance: 0.88 miles
Price : 115.9p
Updated : 20-04-2008
Station : Somerfield Washington
Address : Parsons Road, District 2, Washington, NE37 1EZ
Brand : Somerfield
Distance: 1.13 miles
Price : 116.9p
Updated : 19-04-2008
Station : Tcs Washington
Address : Heworth Road, Concord, Washington, NE37 2PX
Brand : Total
Distance: 1.71 miles
Price : 116.9p
Updated : 20-04-2008
elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Post by elma »

rory_perrett wrote:While modern cars are a lot more reliable
Rory
I beg to differ.

A lot of my friends drive modern cars and every so often they refuse to start and the warning light comes on.

This involves a day off work, with no warning, and a bill of between £100-£1000 depending on which sensor decided to pack in.

As for the price of fuel, I can't afford it any more.

Sooner I get out of this country the better.
rory_perrett

Post by rory_perrett »

Elma

I'm afraid I'm showing my age. I class anything newer than about 1990 as modern. Thinking back to the days when you'd buy a 7 or 8 year old car with 60k miles on the clock for about £300 which was on its last legs and nurse it through each week to be able to work on it over the weekend so it would get you to work the following week.

But you are right this refusing to go and lots of flashing lights is no good. And that seems to be the difference, limp home mode had a totally different meaning in the past, mis-fires, seized clutches etc etc but at least you knew what was wrong and could often work round it. Its about this time I should start the VW Beetle and the girlfriend's tights story - but I won't.

Rory
nick
My Cars:

Post by nick »

myglaren wrote:PetrolPrices will show you the cheapest prices to fill up in your locality and send weekly updates by email.
I wish they'd allow the 5 mile radius to be altered though. I live out in the sticks and every week I get an email from them telling me there aren't any petrol stations within 5 miles !
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Throw in the post codes from the area you are most likely to frequent - where you work or shop, nearest large town (where the prices are likely to be lowest).
nick
My Cars:

Post by nick »

Yes, I use my work postcode now. I've also emailed them asking if it would be possible to specify a distance other than 5 miles when setting up alerts in future.
elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Post by elma »

rory_perrett wrote:Elma

I'm afraid I'm showing my age. I class anything newer than about 1990 as modern. Thinking back to the days when you'd buy a 7 or 8 year old car with 60k miles on the clock for about £300 which was on its last legs and nurse it through each week to be able to work on it over the weekend so it would get you to work the following week.

But you are right this refusing to go and lots of flashing lights is no good. And that seems to be the difference, limp home mode had a totally different meaning in the past, mis-fires, seized clutches etc etc but at least you knew what was wrong and could often work round it. Its about this time I should start the VW Beetle and the girlfriend's tights story - but I won't.

Rory
Then I totally agree with you, just I would call what you call a modern car a car and what you'd call an old one a classic.
DaiRees
My Cars:

Post by DaiRees »

Good info on Petrol Prices guys. I've been a member for ages but didn't realise you can get e-mail alerts. All set up now :D , many thanks! 8)
406 2.0 HPi Exec Estate

http://www.406oc.co.uk
THELABMAN
My Cars:

Post by THELABMAN »

I'm realy peed off at difference in price between petrol and diesel now, it's up to 11p a litre and sometimes more in the lanarkshire area, plus the price has gone up 4p a litre in a week :cry:
Citroen C5 2.0 HDI SX Hatchback - 2002 (52)
Xantia Sensation 1.9TD (T) Mallard Green (Gone to the breakers)
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

Is it still true that diesel cost less to produce than petrol?