SVO price rant!!!!!

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

Some of you may be interested in my recent visits to Tesco. Fed up with seeing empty shelves of Pura I ordered a case from Customer Services desk. On the day of collection I called them and they hadn't got it for me yet - someone would call me when they did, I was told.

The next week I visited Customer Services and was told they had it in stock to which I was brought a basket of 15 bottles of Tesco Pure Vegetable Oil :shock: Then one assistant had the nerve to ask me to put it back on the shelf because the assistant that brought them "has got a bad back" :shock:

I was also informed that "We're only allowed to pre-order cakes and patisseries" and that the person who originally took my order must have been new and didn't know but both assistants were adamant that I cannot pre-order vegetable oil.

Speaking to a manager, I complained about the regular empty shelf and he told me it's intentional, to control how much individuals buy so that everyone can get some :shock: He said people are buying it in bulk for industrial and fuel use :shock: Well duh, it is half the price of their own brand. "That'll change soon, it's going up" he said.

So in the end, he promised to setup an order for me to which I suggested he better inform Customer Services as they are under the impression it can't be done. "It can" he insisted and took my number. They called yesterday but didn't say how much they have for me, I'll find out tomorrow.

But seriously, what a bad experience it all was. Telephones left unanswered. When a different line answered, I was "put through" to the CS desk which didn't answer and then cut me off. :twisted: My original order wasn't fulfilled and nobody kept their promises to call me, even though it was in stock! :twisted:

I knew the manager would be more ameniable but what a joke the staff and policies are. I mean, the manager was proud they were controlling what and when I buy.
XantiaMan
My Cars:

Post by XantiaMan »

No such problems at my local Tesco, ordered another 60 litres today, trying to make it a weekly thing.
2003 Ford Mondeo ST220
2002 Ford Fiesta Zetec S
2001 Ford Puma 1.7 VCT
2008 Ford Transit Mk7
http://www.facebook.com/kidmans" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

I think it was you gave me the idea to order it in the first place. :lol: But that's what the manager wanted to do, setup a repeatable weekly order if I wanted so we'll see what they got for me tomorrow - if I can get there.
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

Well that plan's been blown out of the water. I went to collect my 30 bottles of pura and they've raised the price from 56ppl to 107ppl :evil:
Order cancelled!
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

Seems my suspicions may have been right all along. It's a conspiracy of price-fixing IMO no matter how they dress it up. Tesco manager proudly told me they intentionally seek to control supply. The top supermarkets have been prosecuted over milk supplies previously, now they're being investigated over tobacco pricing. I expect a future investigation into the vegetable oil next but won't hold my breath.

""This is not about price fixing," an OFT spokeswoman said.
"This is about retail price co-ordination, which is also illegal. We have information that manufacturers and retailers were indirectly exchanging information about future prices.""
elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Post by elma »

Well I for one am pleased.
I've been driving these cars since way before veg oil was popular and they were easy to pick up in good condition for sensible money.

Now everyone wants one and they are treated really badly by people who don't care about the cars. The price has doubled as well, a decent Xantia with mot used to cost around £300 now you'd only get a kaput one for that. Even close friends will try to charge me £600 for a L reg car as they know they will get that money, or more, elsewhere.
The sooner people go back to whatever they were driving before the better.

I don't mean this about you lot though, you are proper Citroen people, but others like myself can't afford a decent Xantia anymore because of veggie oil. A lot of the cars have been destroyed by people who see them as cheap throw away commodoties for saving fuel money, look how many new members we have who appear with " I want a xantia cos it runs on veg oil ". With no appreciation or love for hydropneumatics.

Look what else has happened, we've put up the price of take away food too. I was speaking to the local Chinese restraunt and the lady who owns it was quite stressed about her prices going up because of this.

People have really abused veg oil, it should be a little supplement for when you are broke, not your permanent fuel. For it to be used as permanent fuel is making a shortage of the stuff.

Think about it you probably use about 3000% what you used to if you run a car on veg oil. (based on 1 litre a week for cooking to 30 litres a week for driving) No way could farmers expect or cater for that increase. The price is going up because of supply and demand, not price fixing.
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

I fully understand that sentiment elma but I do think it's wrong to blame joe public for corporate/political greed. I think this a far bigger issue than SVO supply alone. It's just one small part of the greater energy crisis. The blame rests squarely with our "leaders" IMO.
elma

Post by elma »

For a fuel crises yes, but for the shortage of Xantias and the price rise they have incurred I'm afraid it's veggies fault.

They'll be worthless again when the veg craze dies off, but battered because they've been in the hands of people who don't give a monkeys about them.

This is why I don't mind people using veg, but loathe people buying a Xantia just to run on veg.
Ross_K
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2009 Citroen C5 VTR+ HDi 1.6
2004 Toyota Prius
2004 Alfa Romeo 156 1.6 Twin Spark

Post by Ross_K »

Forgive me if this seems like a stupid question, but why are people buying veg oil in Tescos?

Surely any catering supplies company or cash and carry can supply at cheaper prices?
elma

Post by elma »

Until the recent price rise that wasn't the case.
1 litre bottles of pura in Tesco were the cheapest thing you could get.
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

Elma what about people that are in both crowds though??

I've bought and am on my 3rd Xantia expressly for Veg use, but i could get some old pug hack. but why do that when i can have a better car for the money and something i like to drive everyday and cover 5-600 miles per week in??

So far ive not even got near the middle marker for my tank and ive done 350miles! and thats on rapeseed when it was 56p/litre in bookers!

now its gone up nearly 50% but its still cheaper than diesel is and i have to say i think id still keep the xantia if it went up more, my right foot would just get even lighter really :)
elma

Post by elma »

I don't have a problem with everyone using veg, only the people who care not about xantia and are buying them as throw away cars.

You've been here a long time and look after your cars, my grievance is not aimed at you. I really only have a problem with people who take a good xantia, veg it, ruin it and throw it away. It's not fair on the people who love the cars.