SVO price rant!!!!!

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

admiral51
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: C5 X7 2009 2.0 HDI VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
C4 2010 2.0 HDi Exclusive VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

SVO price rant!!!!!

Post by admiral51 »

Hi one and all
just had a huge shock whilst doing the weekly shop at asda :roll: :roll:

just looked at price of 3ltr veg oil price now £2.58 :x :x when i started using it 6 months ago it was £1.67 :(

now i know its still a saving but have just seen this from a previous post by Mike T

Posted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 9:32 pm
By the way, went to tesco's to get 9 litres and see they've dropped the price a little. Now 55.6p per litre

Now asda 1ltr is 98p which is 13ppl cheaper than diesel but worse was to come when i took mother to tesco :cry: :cry:

tesco 3ltr veg oil £2.98 :evil: :evil: and 1ltr is £1.08 and they are selling diesel for £1.10 a litre what is going on :x :x

since Mike T posted on 3/8/07 1 litre of oil has gone up just a shade under 100%

not long before veg oil is dearer than diesel :shock: :shock:

well rant over feel much better :D :D

colin
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

I checked Asda's prices last week and was surprised at the price too.
If any of you have access to a cash & carry (MAKRO or the like) then a 50L drum of Wesson oil might be a better prospect.
My MAKRO card is defunct so I couldn't say how accurate this is but it used to be considerably cheaper.
XantiaMan
My Cars:

Post by XantiaMan »

Bookers is still the cheapest, Pura might still be available @56ppl from Tesco but not ordered any for a couple of weeks.
2003 Ford Mondeo ST220
2002 Ford Fiesta Zetec S
2001 Ford Puma 1.7 VCT
2008 Ford Transit Mk7
http://www.facebook.com/kidmans" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
THELABMAN
My Cars:

Post by THELABMAN »

I don't use anything but diesel myself but I have noticed that for quite a while here in the Motherwell/Glasgow area that veg oil has been a lot more expensive than the prices I have seen quoted by members on here.

Even places such as Aldi/Lidil have been charging almost 90p a litre for quite a while now, I honestly can't remeber when I last seen it below about 70p. I think the day is fast coming when it will be no more cheaper to run SVO than diesel, unless you go down the route of collecting and refining used oil.
Citroen C5 2.0 HDI SX Hatchback - 2002 (52)
Xantia Sensation 1.9TD (T) Mallard Green (Gone to the breakers)
XantiaMan
My Cars:

Post by XantiaMan »

I used to be a heavy user of SVO but these days, dont run more than 50/50 mix as the injection pump starts to weep at much more than this. With oil at 56p a litre its still a big saving on a tank, i'm lucky as i can get into Bookers now but still have 45 litres of stock at the moment, used to be over 200 litres!
2003 Ford Mondeo ST220
2002 Ford Fiesta Zetec S
2001 Ford Puma 1.7 VCT
2008 Ford Transit Mk7
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Prime example of the 'biofuel pushing up the cost of food' syndrome.
How long before we can't afford fish'n chips anymore. Unless they fry them in waste engine oil :D
XantiaMan
My Cars:

Post by XantiaMan »

myglaren wrote:Prime example of the 'biofuel pushing up the cost of food' syndrome.
How long before we can't afford fish'n chips anymore. Unless they fry them in waste engine oil :D
I dont think that paints the full picture. Last years terrible crop is partly to blame for the continued rise, the cost of fuel means it costs more to transport our food which then gets passed onto the food chain itself, and then increased demand but not directly to do with biodiesel production.

Its definatly a shame but i've made the most of it and its been fun too, i feel sorry for the people that have only just jumped onto the bandwagon!
2003 Ford Mondeo ST220
2002 Ford Fiesta Zetec S
2001 Ford Puma 1.7 VCT
2008 Ford Transit Mk7
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

You are forgetting the 70% or so tax on diesel fuel.. The truth is, it's just blatant profiteering by the veg oil sellers. Veg oil is still very very cheap to produce..

The media tell us lies more often that not.. The recent death of the Chief Police officer in Manc is a good example.. In their first bulletin the BBC announced he had been found at the foot of a cliff and several suicide notes were found close to the body.. All total fabrication, and completely untrue.. the story finaly evolved into "he was found at the foot of a slope, no cause of death has been established". :roll: :?

Sadly, in todays world. the truth is a rare commodity..

*gets off soapbox, gets coat*.. heh heh.. :lol:
James. (Nr M67 East of Manchester).
Dark Blue ZX 1.9D Auto 1994 'L' 5 dr (modified) Aura. 98K miles used daily. Ave mpg 40
Wedgewood Blue 75 CTD auto Connoissaur. 2002. 144k. used daily. ave mpg 40 ish.
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

At the moment as stated bookers and tesco offer the cheapest(if you can find pura at a tesco's that is!) but it is soon coming where the price is rocketing up more and more so im stocking up more and more everytime i go, i get to the point where the back seats are folded down, the boot cover is off and the passenger seat is taken up by some box's secured by the seatbelt.
Ive even bought some 150l drums now to fill them up and use to store it out of the bottles.

If it comes to it i thinkill end up buying it in an IBC or sourcing used oil for the long term as i have heard prices of 20p/litre quoted for the waste stuff...
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

yep :(

I was hit tonight too, Admiral

2.98 for 3 litres at tesco :( walked out of shop empty handed....

I wish I had had a TD 2 years ago...

RIP 3.0 V6 now cruising a boulevard in Paris
uncle buck
My Cars:

Post by uncle buck »

I think a lot of you need to wake up & smell the chip fat fumes... :lol:

Do you really think that the rise in the Veg oil price is down to a poor crop last year or profiteering by the veg oil sellers.
Whilst a fraction of the price rise could be attributed to this, the rise is down to the Government !

Did you really think the Government scrapped to duty on the first 2500 litres of Veg oil out of kindness....or to help out the veg oil user....not a chance.

Before the law changed to allow you to use 2500 litres a year, you were supposed to pay duty on every litre of veg oil you used....this was totally unenforceable and at best an administrative nightmare for customs & excise....so the decision was made to scrap this & let the first 2500 litres a year be duty exempt....which appeared to be a gift to the veg oil user....but beware of strangers bearing gifts!

C&E weren’t really getting any duty in (or very little) before the law changed so changing it & allowing you to use 2500 litres duty free wasn’t really costing them anything, if anything it would save them money on admin.

So how were they going to tackle the problem of people using veg oil in a road going vehicle ?

....Simple....address the problem at source....hike the price of veg oil.

Aren’t you glad we live in a free country! :x
2006 C4 1.6 HDi 16V (92) non FAP
2001 Xsara II 1.4 LX
2001 Renault Laguna II 1.9dCi Sport Tourer
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Colour me stupid but I don't get it.

How did the Customs & Excise/Government manage to double the price of veg oil in Asda?

I'm sure they don't have any control over the retail price of the product other than VAT and I believe it is classed as food and therefore VAT exempt.

I'd be more inclined to suspect market forces - increase in purchases so they charge more for it. The supermarkets watch one another's prices - supposedly so they can be kind to us and keep their prices lower than their competitors but really to make sure they are not giving the stuff away.
Prices are rarely more than a few pence either way and what they lose on one product they gain on another.
I think it is more the retailers seeing an opportunity and grabbing it, modified slightly by the above mentioned poor harvest and increased production and delivery costs.

I was buying bio made from WVO, the factory making it was next to where I work and offered it to us for 82p/L when it was 94/96p at the pumps.
As soon as the tax on fuel increased the price shot up as the people supplying the WVO increased their prices commensurately.
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

Agreed, I can't see the government having the power, let alone the will to interfere with retail pricing but you never know!

It is greed, pure and simple. A single litre of own-brand cheapo cooking oil is now 98p. They still have shelf space for Pura (branded!) at 56p (nearly half price!) but it's often bare.

I complained to Customer Services and asked them to order me a box. "When do you want to collect?" I was asked. "When would it be ready, I replied?". She said, it (computer) doesn't say but I have to put in when you want to collect it to complete the order". :evil: Give me strength!
XantiaMan
My Cars:

Post by XantiaMan »

Pura is still 56ppl, had plenty on the shelves at Tesco this morning, put in another order of 60 litres to keep me ticking over.
2003 Ford Mondeo ST220
2002 Ford Fiesta Zetec S
2001 Ford Puma 1.7 VCT
2008 Ford Transit Mk7
uncle buck
My Cars:

Post by uncle buck »

myglaren wrote:How did the Customs & Excise/Government manage to double the price of veg oil in Asda?
Easy…because they are the Government & they can do anything....me or you won’t find an answer as to how they do it, but that doesn’t mean they can’t!
MikeT wrote:Agreed, I can't see the government having the power....
You are joking right...the Government not having the power....LOL

I don’t believe for a moment that it’s just a coincidence that the Government changed the law to allow the use of up to 2500 litres of veg oil without any excise duty & then the price of the stuff sky rockets.

Keep taking the Blue pills !

:D :wink:
2006 C4 1.6 HDi 16V (92) non FAP
2001 Xsara II 1.4 LX
2001 Renault Laguna II 1.9dCi Sport Tourer