History

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

History

Post by myglaren »

I've been trying to find a site that described the hydraulic drivetrain that Citroen were about to produce but have so far drawn a blank.
I would be most appreciative if anyone can point me in the right direction as I have introduced this onto another forum and now need to put my money where my mouth is.
Incidentaly, UPS are now using delivery vehicles with this system installed.

My researches have thrown up many interesting sites of which you are all probably well aware but the most recent is this one with some petition calls to reduce fuel taxation and one that shocked me, the proposal to ban any vehicles of over 10 years of age.

I can't see that that will ever fly but just in case, there is a petition that may influence the - I was going to say thinking but it's hardly that - on this subject.

Citroënët
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I've heard of this hydraulic drive idea but cannot, for the life of me recall where :(

I've a feeling it was tested on a DS prototype when Citroen were exploring the outer limits of what could be done with the hydraulics. It may have been on a GS though...

This was not the only thing they did along that time. They tried an anti-roll system on a DS that worked on much the same principle as the Activa system on the Xantia does today and, again if memory servers me, used a damped pendulum controlling a height corrector on it's side to do the corrections. It worked and somewhere I have a picture of a DS so equipped doing the same demo as the Activa did in contemporary promotional videos. It looked impressive but it took digital computing to make it a practical and economic proposition on a mass-produced car.

And, whilst on the subject of Citroen innnovation, there was the GS Birotor, a Wankel powered GS using much the same engine as the NSU Ro80. In fact it went into limited production and Citroen started a spin-off company (in Luxemburg?) called Comotor to make the engine. Unfortunately the engine suffered all the same problems as the NSU and nearly killed off Citroen. Nearly all the GS Birotors were recalled by Citroen and crushed but a few have survived.

Just think. If Citroen had taken hydraulics to it's natural conclusion, we'd be driving Citroens with a Wankel engine simply driving a large hydraulic pump and everything else powered from the hydraulics. I guess an LHM leak would be pretty catastrophic though...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Re: History

Post by MikeT »

myglaren wrote: the proposal to ban any vehicles of over 10 years of age.

I can't see that that will ever fly but just in case, there is a petition that may influence the - I was going to say thinking but it's hardly that - on this subject.
That is a poorly thought idea IMO. I can imagine a future emissions laws having that effect though, it just smacks of "Red/Green/Blue/Yellow?" Ken Livingstone's vision of London.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Thanks citrojim.
It wasn't the site I had in mind but I found it here on Citroënët
admiral51
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: C5 X7 2009 2.0 HDI VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
C4 2010 2.0 HDi Exclusive VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

Post by admiral51 »

superb find that site lots and lots of very interesting info :D :D

colin
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

I discovered quite a few interesting sites this afternoon. My head is spinning now, far too many hours in front of a monitor.