Database ADSL Link glitches

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Database ADSL Link glitches

Post by CitroJim »

Since the new Database Server has been in operation, I've noticed a few short-duration outages on the ADSL link between the Web Server and the Database Server.

I apologise for the inconvenience this is causing and I'm investigating. At the moment I'm not sure if the modem or my ISP is at fault. Shortly, I'll be replacing the modem as a precaution to eliminate that.

I will advise when the link will need to come down (for about 15 minutes) to swap modems.

Please let me know any incidences of the link going down.

Again, apologies and rest assured I'm on to it.
Last edited by CitroJim on 22 Mar 2008, 10:52, edited 3 times in total.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

Hi Jim.. I got this today..

Warning: mysql_connect() [function.mysql-connect]: Can't connect to MySQL server on 'eastment.net' (10060) in C:\Inetpub\vhosts\frenchcarforum.co.uk\httpdocs\forum\db\mysql4.php on line 48

Warning: mysql_error(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL-Link resource in C:\Inetpub\vhosts\frenchcarforum.co.uk\httpdocs\forum\db\mysql4.php on line 330

Warning: mysql_errno(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL-Link resource in C:\Inetpub\vhosts\frenchcarforum.co.uk\httpdocs\forum\db\mysql4.php on line 331
phpBB : Critical Error

Could not connect to the database
James. (Nr M67 East of Manchester).
Dark Blue ZX 1.9D Auto 1994 'L' 5 dr (modified) Aura. 98K miles used daily. Ave mpg 40
Wedgewood Blue 75 CTD auto Connoissaur. 2002. 144k. used daily. ave mpg 40 ish.
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

James.UK wrote:Warning: mysql_connect() [function.mysql-connect]: Can't connect to MySQL server on 'eastment.net' (10060) in C:\Inetpub\vhosts\frenchcarforum.co.uk\httpdocs\forum\db\mysql4.php on line 48
Your MySQL hostname is incorrect or you do not have the MySQL service started.

As we know the name is correct, so the service might be getting interrupted (by the loss of conection) or the connection is being dropped.

Any following errors may just be a symptom of the first error.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

That error message is simply phpBB using many words to simply say it cannot connect :lol: Don't read anything more into it than that!

The first error pops up very early on in the MySQL script that looks after database connectivity. It's the first attempt. PHP does not see it as fatal and carries on resulting in the subsequent messages. Only then does it give up.

Thanks James for posting it up :D

For me the link goes right down. I don't see that error message, I simply loose all connectivity with the 'Net. Strangely the modem sits there looking totally normal and claiming it is happily connected. Left alone it will start working again but it'll also immediately return to normal if I manually reboot it.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
deian

Post by deian »

Reading your reply on the other thread... yes Netgear will be better than Maplin. Easy way to know if the Maplin one is struggling is by touching it, how hot is it?
My Linksys wi-fi/adsl/router fried itself because it got too hot. And that was just poor design as it was a common fault.

Hardware from named manufacturers will be better designed, so it will probably fix your problems. As the old saying goes, you get what you pay for.

Failing that, check the basics, get BT or your telephone provider to make a line check for you, AND your broadband provider. Just because the line sounds fine on the phone doesn't mean it's good for broadband. The simplest things like cable quality can cause havoc on a fast broadband line too.

To find out what the modem is doing type it's IP address from your computer and go to DSL status, it'll tell you a lot if you know what to look for.

As for the static vs. dymanic ip address in the other thread, I'dve thought you had a static ip address. 8)

I'm not a php person, asp.net is what i know.
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

citrojim wrote:That error message is simply phpBB using many words to simply say it cannot connect :lol: Don't read anything more into it than that!
Does it really say it cannot connect?..... Well so it does :wink: (Sorry, couldn't resist that one Jim)

What I meant was if you find it's not a connectivity problem, those are the two reasons you would get that message.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

I had a Zoom modem die due to heat although the Maplin Addon one feels quite cool but the PSU runs hot :lol: I've seen several others that run very warm too. One I know dies if the sun shines on it through a window :lol:

I only got the Maplin one as I needed one very quickly to replace the cooked Zoom one and that was the first one I found :?

The quality of the modem/router does not indicate the quality of the rest of the kit the FCF database is hosted on you'll be pleased to know.
Jim

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

I will be swapping modems at 22:00GMT this evening.

The outage should be no more than a couple of minutes..

I will post again as soon as all is back up.
Jim

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

The new modem/router is now installed and working...

All back to normal!

Apologies for the short outage...
Jim

deian

Post by deian »

Great work, we'll keep you posted about any glitches, none so far, although the site/forum/database has been spot on for me since it was down over xmas.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Down again at 22:20 last night, Jim.... Computers? They're worse than Citroens :lol:
Richard W
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

RichardW wrote:Down again at 22:20 last night, Jim.... Computers? They're worse than Citroens :lol:
You're not wrong Richard :D :D :D :twisted:

The outage at 22:00 last night was a strange DNS problem affecting the database. Worked fine for ages and then decided it no longer wanted to play because the BX Club and FCF share the same IP address..

Then my new router threw a funny...

Makes changing a TD clutch a walk in the park :lol: :lol: :lol:
Jim

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

I replaced the modem/router with a brand new one and last night it failed :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

At least it was a different problem. Apologies for the outage last evening and again through the night.

The new one has a problem where the ADSL stays up fine but the LAN ports lock up :twisted:

Another modem/router has been on test all this m orning and will be swapped later this afternoon.

Hopefully third time lucky :wink:
Jim

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

It seems third time lucky it was :D

We have been stable for two weeks now so this thread is moved to French Car Chat..

Please keep me informed of any further glitches please :wink:
Jim