Membership Stats

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

ellevie
My Cars:

Post by ellevie »

I see the number of registered users is now down to 6904 from over 7000.
Alan S must be blasting Klingons :D
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

I signed up about a week ago but it wouldn't recognise me as a member and I wasn't allowed to post. Got the dreaded 'debug' feature!
Tried to sign up again but the email address was "in use"
Naturally it wouldn't allow me to create an acount using my Gmail address.
Attempted to get my password changed but that wouldn't help either, nor did trying to contact an admin work, emails were rejected.

Then I found an email in my spam folder with a new password in it that let me in to the site.

This may well have happened to and deterred other potential members.

The only hurdle remaining is trying to add an avatar. Gets knocked back every time and yes I have reduced the size to below the permitted limits.

This would be it if it worked:

By myglaren at 2008-03-08

No, it isn't me but a rather wonderful Frenchie :D. different gender too.

Edited to add:
Fixed it! Need to overcome terminal dumnity©
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Thanks for this Myglaren :D Most valuable.

The reason was that previous to the new database server becoming operational, the forum was difficult at best to administer due to the very slow response from the old database server. As a result new members were taking a long time to be activated and it was not easy to find genuine new members from the raft of spambot accounts that had tried to sign up. Because of the slow database it was difficult also to administer the ban lists to keep the pesky spambots out and they took full advantage :twisted:

I'm pleased to say now that we are up to date fully with the memberlist and new members are now being processed as soon as they are seen. Admin cover is near 24 hours due to the two admins being at opposite ends of the globe :D

I'm interested to hear the activation e-mail ended up in your spam folder. Strangely, just before I read your post I was about to test this aspect as we had a suspicion some e-mails were not reaching their recepients.

Again, sorry for the problems and I trust now you'll enjoy the FCF :D

For any prospective new members still awaiting activation, you can always use my e-mail address, found in my profile or at the bottom of any of my posts, to contact me for activation.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

citrojim wrote:Thanks for this Myglaren :D Most valuable.

The reason was that previous to the new database server becoming operational, the forum was difficult at best to administer due to the very slow response from the old database server. As a result new members were taking a long time to be activated and it was not easy to find genuine new members from the raft of spambot accounts that had tried to sign up. Because of the slow database it was difficult also to administer the ban lists to keep the pesky spambots out and they took full advantage :twisted:

I'm pleased to say now that we are up to date fully with the memberlist and new members are now being processed as soon as they are seen. Admin cover is near 24 hours due to the two admins being at opposite ends of the globe :D

I'm interested to hear the activation e-mail ended up in your spam folder. Strangely, just before I read your post I was about to test this aspect as we had a suspicion some e-mails were not reaching their recepients.

Again, sorry for the problems and I trust now you'll enjoy the FCF
:D

For any prospective new members still awaiting activation, you can always use my e-mail address, found in my profile or at the bottom of any of my posts, to contact me for activation.*
Thanks for the welcome citrojim, been lurking for a while, mainly 'cause I couldn't get in to post. Looks a nice friendly and very helpful place.
I've had the C5 for a year, had a Xantia a few years ago then a gap filled with an Accord, bought in a screaming hurry but a nice motor until it got totalled. BX 1.9D Estate before that, a Visa that I bought thinking it was an AX, untill I filled the logbook in. Surprisingly enough it wasn't a bad car until it flew to bits.
First one was a GS1222 Club. Superb little car, in some respects the best of the lot, perhaps because I was so impressed with the French engineering and departures from the percieved logic in motor manufacture at the time.
Always lusted after a CX Pallas, never had the wherewithall to acquire one though.

*I tried to do that but couldn't access it - my emails were rejected.

Maybe a note in a sticky to advise of the possibility that mail may land in the spam folder?

How about an email activation process and disable posting priveleges for 24 hours after activation, should slow the spammers down a bit :D