Shell V-Power?

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

rory_perrett
My Cars: Xantia Exclusive 110Hdi Estate 1999

Shell V-Power?

Post by rory_perrett »

I normally either fill up my Xantia 2.1TD (220,000 miles) with Tesco (cheapest near home) or Shell (cheapest near work) diesel and never think any more of it. However, filled up with Shell, normal stuff at 105.9 per ltr last Monday and since then I’ve noticed the car seems to be running much better for no apparent reason.

Has anyone tried Shell V-power diesel, and did it make a noticeable difference? Just wondering if they’d got the tanks mixed up and put V-power in the normal diesel tank.
OwenP
My Cars:

Post by OwenP »

Have you filled up at Tesco at all recently?

If not then it may be that you have now got more shell %wise than tesco which will improve the running.

No idea about the V-power, no shell station near me has it so never tried it but if I use shell normal stuff I get 50-55mpg (with a leaking fuel pump) on a good run, the last time I used tesco i got 40-45 and a knackered car (this is what caused the leaking fuel pump amongst other problems).

A mate of mine filled his petrol Saab with Esso normal unleaded I think and got an extra 5mpg over tesco stuff.

There does seem to be a massive difference in the quality of fuels going to supermarkets cf. main brand retailers.
2001 406 Rapier 2.0 HDi 90 Estate - Sold Scrap after being viciously attacked by a falling tree
2001 Toyota MR2 1.8 VVTi - To be sold for spares/repair - dead gearbox :(
2014 Seat Ibiza Eastate 1.4 FR ACT (bought in an emergency, but a nice enough low mileage car)
THELABMAN
My Cars:

Post by THELABMAN »

I always used to fill my 1.9TD's at Asda as it was cheaper but one day after filling at a shell garage I was geting about an extra 5 - 7mpg and now stick to shell when ever I can
Citroen C5 2.0 HDI SX Hatchback - 2002 (52)
Xantia Sensation 1.9TD (T) Mallard Green (Gone to the breakers)
rory_perrett
My Cars: Xantia Exclusive 110Hdi Estate 1999

Post by rory_perrett »

Interesting observation - checked back and this is the 3rd tank full in a row from Shell, which I've not done before. Usually fill from near empty (63ltrs+) so it must be just about all Shell in there.

Not noticed such a difference in mpg though. Since last May I've done 8521 miles on Shell at 47.85mpg average and 6164 miles on Tesco fuel with an average of 47.33 mpg. Don't think the 0.5mpg difference is that statistically significant.
philipte

Post by philipte »

I've recently tried using BP Ultimate diesel in the C5, and have probably put about 3 tankfuls through now. Yes, it's more expensive than the City Diesel I was using before, but it seems to give about 2-3 mpg extra, and the starting and running have very noticeably improved. The engine sounds markedly less 'dieselly'
YVMD of course.......
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

I tried V power or whatever the super expensive Shell diesel is in the ZX 1.9D - and to be honest noticed no difference at all. (Thing runs on plain Shell almost exclusively)

Wonder if it would do anything for my BX TD (205,000 miles)?
jeremy