Radio for a 1994 ZX

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

James.UK
My Cars:

Radio for a 1994 ZX

Post by James.UK »

I need a car radio for my 1994 ZX Aura, but -- I don't know much about them :oops: So your advice would be much appreciated.. :D

I only need the traffic news fingy, (RDS?) anything else is a bonus - extra . :lol: I don't need blue teeth, ipods, blah blah.. :?

It would be nice to have some means of playing CD-mp3 music.. But NOT essential. Anyone care to recommend anything? Price is not really important, but would like to stay under £150 ish and I intend to use my existing speakers.. :D

I have bought a blanking plate for the ZX, so now I just need to get a suitable working radio.. :lol: Thanks. :D
James. (Nr M67 East of Manchester).
Dark Blue ZX 1.9D Auto 1994 'L' 5 dr (modified) Aura. 98K miles used daily. Ave mpg 40
Wedgewood Blue 75 CTD auto Connoissaur. 2002. 144k. used daily. ave mpg 40 ish.
pug_owner2002
My Cars:

Post by pug_owner2002 »

Hi James,

I've personally got the sony CD/tuner that will play back MP3's that have been put on to a cd and can say that it's brilliant, so much so that I got one for the missus's car!
You can get them for less than £100 now.
R Reg Phase 2 306 DTurbo (Blaze Yellow) (Sold)
X Reg Phase 3 306 1.4 LX (Sold)
03 Renault Scenic Dynamique +
03 Seat Leon 1.9 TDi
52 Nissan Almera 1.8 sport+
Ross_K
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2009 Citroen C5 VTR+ HDi 1.6
2004 Toyota Prius
2004 Alfa Romeo 156 1.6 Twin Spark

Post by Ross_K »

I just bought one of these:
http://www.incarexpress.co.uk/view_prod ... QgodGzw6dg

Brilliant value for under 50 quid 8)
ImageImage
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

Hi Pug owner and Ross..

They both sound good to me. :D do they both have umm RDS? traffic news interupt thingy? My Honda has it, and it's very very usefull, even moreso now I have a SatNav to re route myself if traffics bad ahead.. :shock: :lol: ...

Thank you both for the info. :)
Dark Blue ZX 1.9D Auto 1994 'L' 5 dr (modified) Aura. 98K miles used daily. Ave mpg 40
pug_owner2002
My Cars:

Post by pug_owner2002 »

Hi James,

Both of mine have the RDS and traffic anouncement features and I think it is safe to say that most stereo now have these features.
R Reg Phase 2 306 DTurbo (Blaze Yellow) (Sold)
X Reg Phase 3 306 1.4 LX (Sold)
03 Renault Scenic Dynamique +
03 Seat Leon 1.9 TDi
52 Nissan Almera 1.8 sport+
Ross_K
2004 Toyota Prius

Post by Ross_K »

Hi James - the Sony has RDS so you'll get the traffic announcements, auto-tuning and all that jazz.

I've just noticed Argos are selling it for 60 quid if you don't want to wait for an online delivery.

You should think about upgrading your speakers while you're at it. An aftermarket radio really shows how tinny they are.
ImageImage
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

Thank you kind sirs.. :D I will proceed to aquire one or the other, and will let you know which one I end up with.

Meanwhile.. I just picked up the radio blanking plate from BMS and it's huge! ??? It has a 4 inch spring loaded lift-up front? the fixed bit is 2-3/4 deep with a radio sized hole at the back with holes for screws in the top and bottom corners, and is 3-1/2 inches top to bottom.. erm it don't look at all right! :shock: And --- It has a label that sez " Berlingo" on it? Uh ohhh.... lol.. :oops: :roll:

Thanks again Pug owner and you too Ross.. :)
Ross_K
2004 Toyota Prius

Post by Ross_K »

That's the right fascia - don't worry. :D

The first berlingos came with the same odd-sized radio as the ZX.

When you take the original radio out, you then have to remove the bit of plastic behind it - two screws at the top and two at the bottom. You probably know that already, but I only mention it because I didn't notice the screws the first time I took one out and thought I'd been sold a dud fascia... :D :D
ImageImage
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

You are right Ross. :) I went to Halfords to get a radio but they were out of stock on both models. :cry:

The good news is -- I bought a very nice JVC KD-G331 radio for £56 that has RDS and plays mp3s n stuff while i was there, and they fitted it while I waited for another £10 :D

Once I get the Volcane front bumper painted the right colour that's about all the mod jobs done. Though I may have to replace the fog lights as one looks like water gets in :(

Overall the car looks quite nice now.. I still prefer the road salt grey colour but the dark blue is growing on me, and this car is deff a bit quicker than my old one. Although, having said that, the top speed is about the same.. :)

Thanks again for all the help.. James.. :D
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

I have a multifunction radio of the type you're describing. I bought it for my BX about 4 years ago and it was excellent in there except that it has no click type on-off switch and on the BX's unswitched wiring it would flatten the battery after 10 days or so which became a nuisance.

It got transferred to the ZX and is now a little unstable and needs periodic re-setting. I think this is because the ZX only has 2 speakers - so 2 outlets are unused. I ought to put a pair in the back which would probably solve the problem.

The thing never needed re-setting in the BX - despite one back speaker being blown.

What I'm saying is that I don't think some of these things appreciate being used without speakers connected to all outputs. I have come across the same problem with Hi Fi amplifiers - curiously then simply having a long wire seemed to prevent the problem (Like the blown back speaker of the BX?)
jeremy
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

Hi Jeremy, and thanks for the info. :D

Fortunately my ZX is an Aura and already had 4 speakers installed. :)

I spoke too soon about it being finished though, dohh.. :oops: Now the hatch-lid is beginning to creep down so I need two new support arms for it.. *~#* :roll: