I've been skimmed :-(

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

I've been skimmed :-(

Post by CitroJim »

Had a call from my Bank this evening...

The dialogue went something like this:

"Can you please confirm you attempted to withdraw £73 from an ATM in South Africa On four separate occasions over the last three days?"

This question was posted to one who has a pathalogical fear and hatred of flying and will only leave the UK in a vehicle that has a double chevron on it somewhere and I don't think Citroen ever made an aeroplane..

So no, I did not. The last time I left the shores of the UK was nearly two years ago and that was to drive to France.

Questioning, I determined that my card has been skimmed and then cloned. This most likely happened at a petrol station according to the bank and these establishments are thought to the most common place to be skimmed. So beware.

From now on, it is cash only when filling up.

It's caused a lot of hassle. My debit card has been stopped and I've to wait a week for a replacement.

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Oh heck Jim!
Any idea which petrol station did it?
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Re: I've been skimmed :-(

Post by JohnD »

citrojim wrote:Had a call from my Bank this evening...

:
I also got one asking if I had my card in my possession? - Yes. Have you used it today? - No. Then you haven't bought cinema tickets and just tried to buy computer equipment to the value of £850. No, I hadn't. Thank heavens for an alert card company.
2010 C5 X7 VTR+Nav 160
1998 1.5 Saxo
1998 Pug 306 1.9D
2018 C4 B7 VTR+
2011 Citroen C1
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

JohnD wrote:I also got one asking if I had my card in my possession? - Yes. Have you used it today? - No. Then you haven't bought cinema tickets and just tried to buy computer equipment to the value of £850. No, I hadn't. Thank heavens for an alert card company.
Keep a check on your account though John. Despite the bank very quickly telling me, two of the transactions still crept through, 2000 Rand in all and 4 quid charges for the priviledge :evil: :evil: :evil:

It's now gone through to their fraud team and I'll have to sign an affidavit to say it was not me before they'll refund, whic'll take up to ten working days :evil:

Mind you, they said it would take a week to get me a replacement debit card. In the event it took just over a day :D :D

Xac: My suspicions rest on the BP garage in Newport or the Shell garage in Blakelands (on the H3 Monks Way).
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

I'm trying to remember if it was that one or the one by KFC (with BP over the road) that got caught skimming before!
So much for chip and pin!

DIY sphere tool
Ross_K
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2009 Citroen C5 VTR+ HDi 1.6
2004 Toyota Prius
2004 Alfa Romeo 156 1.6 Twin Spark

Post by Ross_K »

citrojim wrote:This question was posted to one who has a pathalogical fear and hatred of flying and will only leave the UK in a vehicle that has a double chevron on it somewhere and I don't think Citroen ever made an aeroplane..
Not a plane, but close...
http://www.der-wankelmotor.de/Flugzeuge ... opter.html

I'll get my coat. 8)
ImageImage
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

citrojim wrote:[

Keep a check on your account though John.).
I do - but it should be OK. They cancelled the car and issued a new one with a new number.
2010 C5 X7 VTR+Nav 160
1998 1.5 Saxo
1998 Pug 306 1.9D
2018 C4 B7 VTR+
2011 Citroen C1
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Woman behind the counter in Barclays today said BP were to blame Jim

DIY sphere tool
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Xac wrote:Woman behind the counter in Barclays today said BP were to blame Jim
Indeed it was :evil: Apparantly, they caught loads in there. Boycotted from now on. In fact all non-supermarket stations are now viewed with deep suspicion and should I have to use one, it'll be good old cash :wink:

All petrol and diesel now purchased in Tescos. Just filled my Activa up on Tesco 99 today...
Jim

1900sr

Post by 1900sr »

Had my card skimmed a year or so back, pretty certain that was at a Total station in Lincolnshire. Lloyds were pretty good, and it was a credit card so it wasn't a case of my account being emptied leaving me short, it just took up some of my credit limit until it was sorted. Main problem I had is that they'd been phoning me throughout the day, and each time it was an automated voice that asked me to press 1 on my handset or something. I assumed it was a scam, and kept hanging up. Fortunately that evening I checked my account on-line and phoned them when I saw the fraudulent transactions.