Signature too long?

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

awg2

Signature too long?

Post by awg2 »

I've just tried to edit my signature to change the mileage from 100k to 110k. I'm told I can't because my signature is too long. The signature length is unchanged so does this mean I need to change to a lower mileage car?
C5 2l 2001 130K - daily use X-country (must change job)
Xantia 1.9TD Estate VSX 1995 111k - daily use X-county
3xBX 1xGS 1x16 TS - oh that was a Renault
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

change to a lower mileage car?
Not for that reason. :)
I just changed my mileage from 180K km to 183K km, and it took it.
Also tried your signature in another username that I’ve got here, and it did say that it was too long, even spread over two lines. :?
2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389
awg2

Post by awg2 »

Mmmm, I wonder if there is a difference in the setup of the board since its move and editing a previously acceptable length of signature now produces one that is too long - I'm not very keen on rendering my sig in textese.
awg2

Post by awg2 »

Signature limit - 55 characters. Judicious compaction.
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

This was introduced to this forum about 6/8 months ago and for good reason.

There is a breed on this planet whose whole purpose in life is to be an absolute pain to the rest of society. They're called "spammers."
Spammers are basically a form of low life that spends much of its time wandering around trying to tell people how to get a big willy (the gender of the recipient seems irrelevant), or trying to flog off some "feelthy peetchers," or trying to deal in drugs of dubious value and origin.
They're the types that if you saw one walking towards your house, you'd set the dog on them, but the dog would even probably shy off biting them in case it caught something.
Being of varying nationalities but all of similar IQs, low double digits, they are too stupid to understand that people come on to forums like this to talk cars, not willys, p**n or drugs, so they constantly try to log on and as in the old days when it was a case that anyone could register and get automatic posting rights whereupon 40 or 50 crap postings would appear that the Admin and moderators would then have to delete along with their membership, whereupon they would promptly re-register and repeat the dose and so it went on.
We then had included the feature that allowed Admin to vet all members prior to them being allowed to post, so they had no way to advertise the crap they used to post about, so they started making their signatures so long that it was in itself a spam message.
Again the low IQ kicked in, because signatures can't be seen until a member posts and if the membership isn't activated that ain't never gunna happen, but as I say, we're not dealing with the sharpest tools in the shed, so with their automated log in systems they have, this is so they don't have to have their tiny little heads hurting when they try to log in, they have already got this long deep and meaningful signature that is supposedly flogging their dodgy wares. By limiting the number of characters in the signature, it limits the number of these deadbeats who can sign in and give us more work deleting them and the number is changed from time to time just to make it impossible for them to allow for it in their log ins.
Sorry about the long post, but that's the reasons why it exists. Nothing sinister from our end and if one day they ever find a way of exterminating these pests, it will be removed.

Alan S
RIP Sept 19th 2008.

She said "Put the cat out" She didn't mention it was on fire!!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Thanks for the explanation Alan :) Anything that keeps the pests at bay gets my vote..

I've at last managed to update my sig to announce a change of vehicle 8)

It was getting a bit difficult posting about my 2.1TD when my sig denied all knowledge of it!

My 205 GTi has gone to a new and very enthusiastic owner. I'm 100% Citroen now :P 100% Xantia in fact :lol:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
mezuk04a
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04a »

Somebody mention will*s hehehehe.

That's all Folks!
Golf 55' 1.9TD
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

alan s wrote: if one day they ever find a way of exterminating these pests
Try signing up at www.cxclub.co.uk/forum

You'll notice a subtle difference between that sign-up page and the standard PHPbb forum sign-up. Because it's a non-standard sign-up, all the automated bots fail, and so they can't even apply for membership.

Killed off all forum spam dead overnight. Highly recommended.
This is not a signature.