Ebay item Veg oil

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Ebay item Veg oil

Post by jgra1 »

chaps is this guy right, or silly?

ebay
Item number: 260166599195 (points to a rover converted professionally to run on just about anything)

I dont know much about Rover deisels (that he refers to) , but its a 2 litre and is similar to XU engines regarding injection.. ie. its not common rail and not direct, so this guy is wrong, or right?

John
nick
My Cars:

Post by nick »

The engine is direct injection, its a variation on the Perkins Prima Di used in Maestro and Montegos. Direct injection doesn't have to mean common rail, some have traditional mechanical pumps.
My ex gf's old direct injection Maestro 2.0TD used a Bosch fuel pump virtually identical to that fitted to the indirect injection Xantia 1.9TD I owned at the time!

Some Di diesels don't use glowplugs, I think some of the early non-turbo Maestro diesels didn't have them, although our later turbo engine did.

I don't know of any problems caused specifically by running a Di on veg, its generally the common rail system that is the problem, not the fact that its direct injection, but he may be right about that aspect of it.
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
MG TF 135
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R

Post by jgra1 »

thanks Nick..

ok learning loads now about this whole subject.. feel so far behind :(

Fuel Duty... do you all pay it ? :) PM if you want

John
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
MG TF 135
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R

Post by jgra1 »

oops

almost striaght after I wrote that i found this

Nw, if you use less than 2500 litres of oil a year, you don't have to register or pay duty! Here's the press release from the Revenue; the rules themselves are being rewritten and I'll update when they have settled.
its all beginning to sink in....
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

The car in question has a Bosch pump so should be OK on veg pump-wise but I'd question some of the substances he says it will run on. Used engine oil and lighter fluid :roll: The latter, no way. That will seize the pump unless it is mixed with something to lubricate the pump. Ligter fluid of the sort used in Zippo lighters won't work at all in a compression ignition engine for the same reason petrol won't. Used engine oil as a fuel would be madness :twisted:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

I'm surprised he refrained from adding it also runs on hot air :lol:
XantiaMan
My Cars:

Post by XantiaMan »

The engine is an L series a direct relation to the Perkins Prima (i've had 2), i know of some people running veg without a problem, my old car used to start in sub zero conditions without any working glow plugs either!
2003 Ford Mondeo ST220
2002 Ford Fiesta Zetec S
2001 Ford Puma 1.7 VCT
2008 Ford Transit Mk7
http://www.facebook.com/kidmans" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
micitroen
My Cars:

Post by micitroen »

A mate of mine was telling me that as an owner/driver operator of a big HGV (always on the continent) he often used to change his own oil at the roadsise and (apparently common practice) used to put the old oil back into the fuel tank and burn it off. Now, as he says when you are putting say 20 litres into a tank holding some 500 litres it probably won't make a lot of difference but it was common practice.
Mike

1993 BX TXD EST mmm. nice. 1990 Bx 19TZD Auto Lhd (now lives in France) 1998 Xsara 1.9d lx.
nick
My Cars:

Post by nick »

XantiaMan583 wrote:my old car used to start in sub zero conditions without any working glow plugs either!
Yep, so did ours. It would take maybe a second or two longer to start in very cold weather but it always started, glowplugs or not :)
Brilliant engines really, often better than the cars they were fitted to :twisted:
XantiaMan
My Cars:

Post by XantiaMan »

nick wrote:
XantiaMan583 wrote:my old car used to start in sub zero conditions without any working glow plugs either!
Yep, so did ours. It would take maybe a second or two longer to start in very cold weather but it always started, glowplugs or not :)
Brilliant engines really, often better than the cars they were fitted to :twisted:
I would disagree with the last statement, my last 2 daily runners were monty estates and they were the best cars i ever had, the last one got written off in July by a lady smashing into the side of it, it was only 128k miles young and still going very strong, my last one did 203k on its original clutch, turbo and gearbox and i still miss the boot space and the look on people's faces when you outhandle them round the corners (Estate handled better than the saloon)

The engines in TD format were fantastic, the the only problem with the cars was and always was, rust! I fitted new arches to my last one, had a couple of doors lined up but it was far from tatty and always drew admiring looks because it was a rare sight. I did 20k in 6 months and the only time it let me down was when the pipes leading to the lift pump were loose (my dad replaced it about a year previous and it had vibrated loose)

Still miss it, and the unique noise, but dont miss the rust and the fact everyone takes the p**s out of them.

Just my 2 cents sticking up for one of the most under-rated cars this country has ever built :wink:
2003 Ford Mondeo ST220
2002 Ford Fiesta Zetec S
2001 Ford Puma 1.7 VCT
2008 Ford Transit Mk7
http://www.facebook.com/kidmans" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
nick
My Cars:

Post by nick »

Don't get me wrong, I liked them too it was just the rust that was the real problem. Otherwise they were virtually bombproof. My ex (who now lives in Cyprus, and has had various Japanese cars since) still refers to her Maestro "the best car she ever owned".
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Yep, it was the rust that really killed Rover. My last British car was a K plate Metro. Great car, looked great, great suspension, great handling, sweetest engine on the planet but shocking paintwork that had the arches rusting out at 4 years old. Apart from the rust, the cars were impossible to fault but rust is rust. A pal of mine had an N plate Rover 100 (Metro) that has just been scrapped due to structural rust :shock: Good design let down by shocking build quality. RIP Britsh Leyland et-al, the rust finally got you... :cry: :cry: So unnecessary.

You'll never see a K plate PSA vehicle with rust of any consequence even today. That Rover was my last Brit before going back to the French and I've never looked back...

And we think French electrics are bad. Rover were on a par with the Iatalians in my last Metro :evil:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...