Engine Swap into a 1997 406 TD

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Engine Swap into a 1997 406 TD

Post by jgra1 »

Chaps, I have offered to do this for someone, I have done a few TD swaps but not for a couple of years..

My understanding is, all XU9TD lumps are indentical, from 405's ZX's to Xantias to 406's etc

The chap wants to keep all of his ancilleries, which work fine, including the Bosch immobolised Fuel pump. I realise there is a timing issue with this. Also, its a key immobiliser not a keypad one.. what will this imply (if I put original fuel pump on new engine, will all be ok?)

So, if I can find any TD short engine, I am home and dry? I need to pay careful attention to the camshaft length (brake vacumn pump location), anything else?

thanks as always
John
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

John, I think you've covered the critical areas. As you say, all XUD9TE engines after about 1995 are pretty much of a muchness fundamentally.

The only other thing I can think is that the turbo exhaust flange may be slightly different on some models. Also, the inlet manifolds are different depending on if the donor had a front or top-mounted intercooler. I'd recommend using the original inlet and exhaust manifolds assuming the original turbo is known to be OK.

The cam is worth a look. Most later TD's seem to use a similar vacuum pump, certainly the late 405, 406 and Xantia use the same one but I'm not sure of the early Xantias that have no vacuum pump at all. These have a blanking plate over the cam end but I've never looked under there to know if the slot drive is present. The early ones that drive the vaccuum pump and PAS pump via belts are very different but, having said that, a cam change is not too difficult if necessary, except for checking and resetting (f necessary), the valve clearances.

On pump timing, you'll see when you remove it that the mounting nut washers will have left marks on the pump casting and these can be used as the timing marks when refitting on the new engine. Being semi-electronic, static timing is not super-critical as the ECU will compensate anyway. If you're miles out though, the timing range under ECU control will be compromised and hard starting/poor running may result.

Ensure the replacement engine has a needle lift sensor on No.3 injector.

If the donor is from a non-airconditioned car and the recepient is airconditioned, you'll have to swap sumps. The former is tin and the latter cast alloy with lugs for mounting the airconditioning compressor.

What happened to the old engine?
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
MG TF 135
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R

Post by jgra1 »

Hi Jim, many thanks..

the usual cambelt failure...

'lift sensor on No.3 injector.'

what is this for?
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

jgra1 wrote:'lift sensor on No.3 injector.'

what is this for?
Hi John,

It feeds a signal to the ECU to tell it when the No. 3 injector needle lifts off its seat, indicating the start of injection point. The ECU uses this signal to confirm the correct timing in conjunction with the TDC sensor and to trim it if need be. The injector has a thin black wire running from it to a two-pin plug that mounts on the cam cover.

Sorry to hear the cambelt went John. If, when you have the old engine out, the head looks as if it may be servicable again with a small amount of work, please let Xac or I know; we need one. If the cam caps are all in one piece, we may be able to do something with it.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
MG TF 135
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R

Post by jgra1 »

Jim thanks..

No dont worry re belt.. its not my car.. long story but someone was selling a 406 with the broken belt, and somehow, him and i discussed me fitting an engine for him instead.. If I do your welcome to have head, was hopeing to do job on 7th oct uplling all the stops !

John