Peugeot 205 D as a classic car?

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

kevin
My Cars:

Peugeot 205 D as a classic car?

Post by kevin »

Just a passing thought, we own a B reg 205D which is possibly on of the first in the country as it is a 1983/84 model. The doors are starting to succome to the tin worm, but other wise the car is OK for 165,000 miles. An exchange transmission unit was replaced when the clutch was. This cured the faulty syncromesh problem. Engine was replaced when the cambelt gave way, so the drivetrain is OK.
Vehicles of this type and age are becoming rare, and I had the idea of restoring it to its former glory as the chassis is solid and would give at least 5 years of low mileage use. The car is currently driven by my father and only coveres 5000 miles per annum.
Would I be wasting my time on this or not? Any suggentions (clean) would be helpful
Kevin
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

As long as the driveshafts and wheel bearings are ok then why not? The 205 is a pleasant little car and if you can find a couple of decent doors then go for it. Spraying the nether regions with waxoyl helps them last longer and it may even work on the car, too. The GTI will always be the glamourpuss classic of the range but it is environmentally responsible to get as much life as you can from a car. It takes a lot of energy to melt 'em down