Warning on spammers

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Warning on spammers

Post by alan s »

As some know here, it's a full time job keeping these bloody parasites off our forums.
Here's the "nice" things they do if given the chance:

http://au.news.yahoo.com/070811/2/146f7.html

I had an e-mail arrive last week advising me to "click here" to confirm my e-mail address with a mob my wife used to have internet business dealings with, the excuse was to "update to your current e-mail address as is good business practice."

I wonder how many they caught with that one?
I wrote to advise them what was happening, but had no response so either they're part of the caper or they're too stoopid to realise what's going on.
So............keep the eyes peeled for similar messages arriving.
I should keep almost all of these twits out of the forum here, but they never seem to give up trying to get in.

Alan S
RIP Sept 19th 2008.

She said "Put the cat out" She didn't mention it was on fire!!
deian

Post by deian »

If these bloody spammers wouldn't waste the bandwidth then the internet would be a much faster experience for everyone, they are too thick to realise they are shooting themselves in the foot by slowing the internet down for their 'own' useless traffic.

The best advice I can give is... If you weren't expecting the email then don't reply, it's just waste of your time and bandwidth. If it takes you more than 5 seconds to think 'who' sent the email it's probably spam.

Keep emails to what you 'expect' and know, family/friends, known forums etc, even newsletters are a nuisance these days.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Even better :

Set up your mail box (usually Office Outlook - or Outlook Express) to deliver all incoming mails in your Unwanted or junk box. Hotmail also has this functionality - and for very low extra monthly rate you get much more and even highly advanced fitering functions - exclusively to tackle spam and virus mails.

Then slowly over time you acknowledge wanted senders and put them on a positive list, such they are further filtered and delivered in your club, forum, family or whatever mailboxes you have.

That little job of yours - tedious to begin with - is worth a whole lot more than any highly sophisticated spam killer or anti-virus program.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image