Veggie compatability

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

davek-uk
My Cars:

Post by davek-uk »

There are aftermarket veggie friendly lift pumps available but I think the only safe option is to install a twin tank system. You'll all find this posting interesting http://www.vegetableoildiesel.co.uk/for ... p?tid=2821 - there are more issues at stake than the obvious.
Pug Rifter long (20) - 41mpg - Gutsy for a 1.5!
Xantia 1.9 TD Temp.2 Break (97) - 208K@42mpg - Resting again.
Berlingo Multispace 1.6 16v (51) - 184K@36mpg - My shed! Still runs 15° retarded...
caveman_si
My Cars:

Post by caveman_si »

You have a HDI so NEVER EVER stick normal vegetable oil in the car unless its been modified. You may get away with it for a bit but you will break the car eventually. Even if you run it in a blend with regular diesel you are playing russian roulete with your car.

If you have a HDI you are limited to either twin tanking. SmartVeg are the market leaders in this and probably have the most experince in the world definetly the UK in running PSA HDI's on svo. If SVO is to be your choosen fuel then thats the way you need to go.

Or the other method is to convert the vegetable oil to biodiesel. And HDI's run perfectly fine on this.

Proper Biodiesel is vegetable oil the has undergone a chemcal transformation usally by the addition of sodium hydroxide and methanol. IT it NOT vegetable oil with thinnners added, sticking that in your engine will again break it.

With unmodified HDI's there are a few ways that vegetable oil will break them. Lift pumps: the oil is too thick for the pumps to push at the correct pressures and cause them to fail. (curriously I have been told constantly running the tank low does this too with normal diesel by causing the lift pump to over heat) The other main one is on start up the unburnt vegetable oil gets past the seals on the cylinders and forced in to the engine oil. Under normal engine operation condition this veg oil/engine oil mix will polermerise after a short while and turn to jelly. Leaving you a very expensive repair bill for a strip and clean or big piece of scrap.

If you value touble free motoring in your HDI do it right. Also if you are unsure about twin tanking call the guys up at smartveg they are nice blokes and happy to talk through it with you. Also have a look at : http://www.vegetableoildiesel.co.uk/forum/index.php for more info on running vehicles on veg or biodiesel.

hth

Simon
406 lx 1.9td estate
howiedean
My Cars:

Post by howiedean »

James.UK wrote:Howie.

My ZX starts the same, runs better, and is quieter.. I have no complaints or problems whatsoever when using 100% veg oil in my car..

If the car starts to play up on starting when the weather cools off, then I will reduce the mixture to suit conditions..

Did I mention that I LOVE my ZX 1.9D auto... :lol: =D> :mrgreen: \:D/ ..
James,
Your right yes mine ran the same on Veg oil. I had just had enough of the XUD clatter in the mornings :twisted:.
I have a fuel coolant heater going free to anyone who would like it.

Regards
Howie

2006 Fiat Idea Dynamic 1.3 Multijet
2010 Renault Laguna Dynamique tom tom 2.0 DCI 130
C5 VTR 2l 8v HDI Estate 112000 miles gone
Kia Rio 2007 1.5 CRDI 62,000 miles gone
2001 Dodge Durango 4.7 V8 170,000 miles gone
1999 Ford Crown Victoria 4.6 V8 151,000 miles gone
john alexander
My Cars:

The Answer

Post by john alexander »

Ok here is the definitive tried and tested answer.

It managed 450 miles before loosing power and stopping on the motorway hard shoulder. Engine warning and stop light illuminated.

Greenflag were called

The lift pump was removed and the mix was pumped into a xantia td which has ran on pure veg.

New tank of diesel paid for by xantia owner and a fuel filter and she lives again

Nothing ventured nothing gained and thankfully only fuel filter lost (due a service in 600miles so it can be done again to make sure system is A1)

But hey now you all know that the net is full of poor advice and I know where I will seek help first next time.. ok not next time as I'll buy the xantia rather than try again
weety
My Cars:

Post by weety »

you would probably have had that on a TD....the veggy cleans the tank up and deposits all the sludge in the fuel filter.....

you can always spot a veggy driver by the number of fuel filters they carry :lol:
M reg xantia 1.9td 266000 miles expired
R reg xantia 1.9td 186000 miles veggy power expired
L reg renault clio 1.9D 91000 miles expired at 107000 miles
x reg clio 15d veggy power bottom of the car rotted through
06 c5 2.2 TD wowser so much power and comfort 160000 miles
howiedean
My Cars:

Post by howiedean »

weety wrote:you would probably have had that on a TD....the veggy cleans the tank up and deposits all the sludge in the fuel filter.....

you can always spot a veggy driver by the number of fuel filters they carry :lol:
I had some funny looks changing fuel filters in a parking bay next to the A1 :cry:
Howie

2006 Fiat Idea Dynamic 1.3 Multijet
2010 Renault Laguna Dynamique tom tom 2.0 DCI 130
C5 VTR 2l 8v HDI Estate 112000 miles gone
Kia Rio 2007 1.5 CRDI 62,000 miles gone
2001 Dodge Durango 4.7 V8 170,000 miles gone
1999 Ford Crown Victoria 4.6 V8 151,000 miles gone
hubrad

Post by hubrad »

[quote="citrojim"]It can only be a matter of time before four things happen...

4. Supermarket forecourts will have Veggie Oil pumps. One supermarket will perhaps offer three: "Value", "As Good as the Leading Brand" and "Finest".

If it's anything like their Value Chocolate Digestive biscuits, it will be great. :D
If it's anything like their Value Cheesy Pasty, it will be well worth avoiding! :(
Xantia 1.9 TD Estate 1996 - that lovely shade of green that would let you hide in a shady forest.
Fits a 3-piece band with a double bass.
LOAC

Engine compatability

Post by LOAC »

Just bought a Synergie 1.9TD and I was wondering about putting veg oil in it. I used to have a BX 1.9 D and I could run on 30% veg oil with that, no problem, but then I had a BX 1.7 TD and that didn't like it at all.

I see on this thread that Bosch fuel pumps seem important, but I've got no idea what's in the Synergie.

Any thoughts?

LOAC
Xantia 2.0i Desire Auto 1998 77K miles- For sale

Synergie SX 1.9TD 2000
weety
My Cars:

Re: Engine compatability

Post by weety »

LOAC wrote:Just bought a Synergie 1.9TD and I was wondering about putting veg oil in it. I used to have a BX 1.9 D and I could run on 30% veg oil with that, no problem, but then I had a BX 1.7 TD and that didn't like it at all.

I see on this thread that Bosch fuel pumps seem important, but I've got no idea what's in the Synergie.

Any thoughts?

LOAC
dont know much about syneries but most xud9 td's have a bosch pump....if you take some photos of the pump and post them we could probably tell from that
caveman_si
My Cars:

Post by caveman_si »

Its dead easy If you look on the pump it quite handily has either bosh or lucas standed on the side.

IF it says bosch you can run upto 100% svo blends in warm weather with no mods if its says lucas you need to install as 2nd tank and do a few mods if you want to run SVO.
406 lx 1.9td estate
elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Post by elma »

Last year I experimented a bit with veg oil. I would say It does work very well, giving better performance than diesel(in xud9 bosch xantia) but it turns your engine oil to sludge. I have no idea why, but if you use premium oil I really wouldn't bother with svo.
Wheras if you have a cheap runabout you don't care to much about and use budget oil I don't see the problem, although I'd service at 3000m instead of 6000.
weety
My Cars:

Post by weety »

elma wrote:Last year I experimented a bit with veg oil. I would say It does work very well, giving better performance than diesel(in xud9 bosch xantia) but it turns your engine oil to sludge. I have no idea why, but if you use premium oil I really wouldn't bother with svo.
Wheras if you have a cheap runabout you don't care to much about and use budget oil I don't see the problem, although I'd service at 3000m instead of 6000.
thats engine poly whatchyamacallit the veggy reacts with the engine oil creating a jelly like substance

for it to happen you must have veggy getting past your piston rings
elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Post by elma »

I did wonder about the piston rings as it didn't seem right that something thicker than diesel would seep through to the oil.
I guess a tank of veg an a oil check are a good test for this because sure enough about a month ago my car began to drink oil and vomit black smoke out of the exhaust. It managed a whole year running well with them not right though. Shame the mot's due.
Got a runabout for now, but I'll be after another decent xantia soon.
philhoward

Post by philhoward »

Not a Citroen i know, but my brothers Discovery TDi managed to destroy a brand new (lucas) injector pump in a year using recycled veggie oil (fully treated, apparently)...car was sold for scrap as would only start on Easy-Start..would continue to run, but the smoke screen would be too much for a Jean-Michelle Jarre concert!
LOAC

Veg oil conversion

Post by LOAC »

I was wondering, if you use veg oil instead of diesel, how does it affect your insurance? Especially if you do the two tank conversion or fuel pre-heater...can just imagine some insurance company saying, "oh, you modified your car and didn't tell us, so we won't pay out..."

LOAC
Xantia 2.0i Desire Auto 1998 77K miles- For sale

Synergie SX 1.9TD 2000