Autobox & Mud

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

rossnunn
My Cars:

Autobox & Mud

Post by rossnunn »

Had a panic phone call from mum today saying the Xant was suck in the mud. There a little grassy area under a set of trees thats next to the drive.

I go over to find said Xantia well & truly stuck. I started to rock it back & forth with some low revs but she's been sat there a couple of days & its been raining hard. There is also a small hump upto the drive thats also grass.
Next I put the car as far back as I could get it without a wheel starting (it was spinning one or the other or both) to spin, held it there on the handbrake & put some sand/gravel mix in the tyre 'ruts' & pulled forward, this helped abit but soon started to spin again.

Anyways I got it out with a combination of 1st gear selection & sports mode to try & hold the revs first gear & some quite harsh shunting of the box & managed to get it out of the rut, with a little muscle at the rear & some revs, back onto terrafirma.

My question is this, with a Autobox one obviously cannot slip the clutch like a Manual so whats the best way of getting out of such a situation? Other than don't park on it if its wet :lol:
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

If your Xantia autobox has a sports button I believe it should also have a snow flake button. If so use it as it disables first making the car pull away in second gear (unless kickdown is used) therefore reducing the chances of inducing wheel spin.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

Yup, should have locked it in 2nd or used snow mode. Sports mode would have given you the opposite of what you wanted I would have thought.

To avoid wheelspin you want low revs and a high gear.

Using loads of revs and slipping the clutch isn't the way to do it with a manual either.

Another thing which can help is to reverse out (with a FWD car).
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

Sometimes you've got to get your tyres to cut through the surface mud to bite into something more solid underneath, thats what spinning the wheels is for, you're going to make a mess of the lawn whatever you try. Lower the tyre pressures, use lots of revs (spin the wheels), rock backwards and forwards, build momentum if you can and if it starts moving, don't stop!
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

You gotta have rhythm :) Just use the gear lever to rock the car forward and back gaining a small amount each time. keep it smooth and get into a rhythm. Once you are moving more than a foot or two each time the car will drive gently out ok. just be smooth, rhythmic, and patient.. :)

In my youth, I used to launch lots of small boats off the local beach for holiday makers using an old auto vauxhall Cresta.. getting stuck was quite normal lol.. The trick was not to get stuck when the tide was coming IN!! lmho.. :shock: :roll:
James. (Nr M67 East of Manchester).
Dark Blue ZX 1.9D Auto 1994 'L' 5 dr (modified) Aura. 98K miles used daily. Ave mpg 40
Wedgewood Blue 75 CTD auto Connoissaur. 2002. 144k. used daily. ave mpg 40 ish.
mezuk04a
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04a »

Get a' rhythm, when you get the blues :oops:
Golf 55' 1.9TD
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

Kowalski wrote:Sometimes you've got to get your tyres to cut through the surface mud to bite into something more solid underneath,
Given the weather we've had recently I think you'd bottom it first, or meet Alan.S :lol:
UFO
My Cars:

Post by UFO »

Homer wrote:
Kowalski wrote:Sometimes you've got to get your tyres to cut through the surface mud to bite into something more solid underneath,
Given the weather we've had recently I think you'd bottom it first, or meet Alan.S :lol:
Or a few other Aussies! Mind you it's been dampish on the east coast of Aus of late - not a bad thing. However some warmer weather would be nice, it's as cold as an english summer here of late.
Craig Keller
Gerringong
Australia

"A little dab of LHM goes a long way!"
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

Homer wrote:
Well, you're not stuck properly until you've sunk down to the axles.....
rossnunn
My Cars:

Post by rossnunn »

I tried some rocking but was worried about damaging the box with the 'shunting'.
Also tried keeping the revs low enough to stop wheelspin but high enough to climb onto the drive.

Anyhoo the ruts are half full of water already :roll:

To be honist if it was much more of a pain, I'd have nipped home & got the van & pulled her out. :lol:
philhoward

Post by philhoward »

Auto boxes don't like being swapped from R to D (A) when the cars moving as it tends to upset the one way clutches... but that's about it.