.....Tow Bar With A Difference !.....

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

ACTIVE8
My Cars:

.....Tow Bar With A Difference !.....

Post by ACTIVE8 »

Having contemplated getting a tow bar, I have seriously considered the swan neck detachable type so as not to spoil the looks of the car.

I also had a different make of car in the past, and that had the same type of tow bar. Which was kept in the boot and taken out when needed, with the wiring sockets also out of the way, I had the benefits of a tow bar without the great big piece of angle iron projecting from the rear. 8)

Although it seems you can get a certain type that looks better than most, even if it's not detachable !
Although it might be !

Take a look at the Xantia below ! 8)

It's neat, tidy and even blends in with the bumper trim. Subtle works ! Image
Ross_K
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2009 Citroen C5 VTR+ HDi 1.6
2004 Toyota Prius
2004 Alfa Romeo 156 1.6 Twin Spark

Post by Ross_K »

Looks a bit too home-made for my liking. :D :D

Witter make a Xantia towbar which is kind of similar.

I went for the Bosal detachable one - as you say, you can just chuck in the boot and mount it as needed in 10 seconds
ImageImage
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

That's a common style in Australia.
It has several advantages, not the least of which is you rarely get marks on the rear bumper from cars parking behind you.
As a fringe benefit, it nicely creams a parking inspector if he isn't as observant as he/she could be when they walk behind your car to stick a ticket on the screen of the car behind. :shock: :oops:

Alan S :twisted:
RIP Sept 19th 2008.

She said "Put the cat out" She didn't mention it was on fire!!
UFO
My Cars:

Post by UFO »

alan s wrote:That's a common style in Australia.
It has several advantages, not the least of which is you rarely get marks on the rear bumper from cars parking behind you.
As a fringe benefit, it nicely creams a parking inspector if he isn't as observant as he/she could be when they walk behind your car to stick a ticket on the screen of the car behind. :shock: :oops:

Alan S :twisted:
I think nearly every Aussie probably has small dents in their tibias from running into these lovely chunks of steel at sometime in their lives. Another benefit of these tow bars though is that it is easy to attach a bike beak to them. How you fit one to those gooseneck things beats me.
Craig Keller
Gerringong
Australia

"A little dab of LHM goes a long way!"
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

UFO wrote:Another benefit of these tow bars though is that it is easy to attach a bike beak to them. How you fit one to those gooseneck things beats me.
As easy as you guys do it Craig. Our types are of a scissor construction, that will clamp and lock on the gooseneck when opened up / expanded for use. The construction is such you must lock down a traverse rod, to keep the clamp and lock on the gooseneck under tension.

Its pretty stable - much more than you think. Certified to carry 2 bikes.
Of course it will at some point be too sloppy and wont hold stable any more. Then you purchase a new one. They are only some £15-20 around here.

Only snag here is, that you MUST carry an "extender plate" with a special red text numberplate and extra rear lights, powered from your camper socket. This is fitted over the bike (or the rearmost bike) you are carrying, to ensure ANY blocked visibilty of rear numberplate and ligths are accounted for. Its quite ridiculous to get fined carrying your daughters bike home, not having this extender plate fitted.

ACTIVE8 : I believe its still legal to do your own towbars in UK ? Its certainly not around here in DK. Its even required to have the towbar type no and certification plate fitted visible - on the towbar itself. Used to be a MOT issue if this little plate had rusted away or fallen off.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
reblack68
My Cars:

Post by reblack68 »

Towbars on post 1998 cars in the UK must be type-approved and have a sticker to show it.
Richard

No French cars of my own at present.
Care of a 1994 205 D.
Village
My Cars:

Post by Village »

not all that fussed about towbars, but I likey likey the wheels on that Xantia!
French car free zone....