Whats the purpose for drum brakes?

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Homer wrote:The handbrake issue - drum brakes are designed so that if a wheel turns with the handbrake applied the turning force will drag the brake shoes outward providing extra braking force, which makes handbrakes much more efficient.

You don't get that effect with disk brakes.

Disks are much better at dissipating heat, and work well with servo or power assistance.
I agree Homer.

But you only need some 20% of the total brake force on the rearwheels. That does not by itself justify the usage of disc brakes on the rear, and you also have the good point on the drum-handbrake issue :wink:
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
Gregg1100
My Cars:

Whats the purpose for drum brakes?

Post by Gregg1100 »

Hi,
Back in time I had a Lambretta Tv 175 Series3. 1963 model year. ( As an apprentice, thats all I could afford, :D ). That machine I believe was the first bike that had a front disc brake, cable operated, and worked really well, the reason being that it was enclosed in the front hub. Honda's 550 had one in later years-apparently a pile of cack.
Anyone noticed the sizes and weights of the disc/calliper set ups on todays trucks. Hell of a size, but work well due to the air pressure.
Greg

90 Kawa EN 500 A1- was running---now dead again
04 Kawa GPZ 500 E10 -alive and well.
54 Fiat Punto 1.2 Dynamic

Old Xantias- 16v 2litre 1997 VSX, 2 x 1993 TD Lx, S2 SX 1.9TD
Old Bx's--3 x 1.9 D, 1x 1.6 Auto, 1 x 1.9 GTi, 1 x 1.9 TZS
weety
My Cars:

Post by weety »

trouble with drum brakes is 'out of sight out of mind'... the only time anyone ever got them fixed was when the cylinder leaked so much it contaminated the pads and failed an MOT (or brake fluid starting leaking out of the bottom of the drum

i used to get in new cylinder, shoes and spring set before i even took the drum of :D

i am sure i read something about a modern car with rear brake drums and ABS but cant remember where or what it was :oops:
M reg xantia 1.9td 266000 miles expired
R reg xantia 1.9td 186000 miles veggy power expired
L reg renault clio 1.9D 91000 miles expired at 107000 miles
x reg clio 15d veggy power bottom of the car rotted through
06 c5 2.2 TD wowser so much power and comfort 160000 miles
nick
My Cars:

Post by nick »

The Xsara mk2 1.4i petrol had rear drums with ABS.
philhoward

Post by philhoward »

weety wrote: i am sure i read something about a modern car with rear brake drums and ABS but cant remember where or what it was :oops:
A surprising amount...ABS is either standard or optional on virtually every car these days and there's still a lot of cars with drum rears.