The best for cooking

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

weety
My Cars:

Post by weety »

howiedean wrote:weety,
I've seen those heaters for sale. Do they heat up the fuel fairly well then?
I'd use that combined with a coolant heater giving the best of both worlds, almost instant heat 1st thing then once the engine warms up the fuel would be heated with waste coolant heat.

I had no problems bleeding the system. I moved the heater from the position shown in the picture. Coolant was taken after the the thermostat, so it took ages to heat up. I eventually moved it and tapped into the coolant pipes going to the cabin heater.

Regards
found mine to be really quick at heating the fuel up....only trouble could be possible drain on the battery...but if you do long drives i cant see that being a problem.....

from everything i have read about veggy the most dangerous time for the pump/engine is start up on cold....the electric heater must get the veggy up to heat five to ten minutes quicker than a coolant heat exchanger

they do sell a VOW unit with a water heater as well as the glow plugs (to get the best of both worlds)

on my twin tank set ups i am usually changing over to veggy after about ten minutes as i find diesels take a long time to heat up.........
M reg xantia 1.9td 266000 miles expired
R reg xantia 1.9td 186000 miles veggy power expired
L reg renault clio 1.9D 91000 miles expired at 107000 miles
x reg clio 15d veggy power bottom of the car rotted through
06 c5 2.2 TD wowser so much power and comfort 160000 miles
weety
My Cars:

Post by weety »

bxbodger wrote:Weety, have you had a definative reply from the excise on SVO yet?- I'm not signed up but I've been following the saga here and it still seems that the situation is vague on SVO: having said that I'm still chucking it in the tank but carrying a copy of the customs brief just in case- the SVO situation being so vague is a bit of a double edged sword- they may still try to prosecute someone depending on the fiscal interpretation of what's in the tank, and the revenue are not known for letting go easily!

The sooner they update notice 179E the better........ :?
they sent me a holding reply yesterday...needed to know my postcode/vat number before they could give a full reply (in case choose to later rely on information they have provided to me)

i dont think there is much doubt that SVO is exempt under the 2500 limit (from the replies other people have been getting) but i am still concerned about VAT.

I cant think of any good reason why it shouldnt be Vatable and i dont want to get a huge back VAT bill in a couple of years time when HMRC suddenly decide they want VAT paid

i also reckon if you sell WVO that might be subject to marginal rate VAT (subject to you selling enough WVO to pass into the vat threshold)

and as an example of how crazy VAT is, if you sell a new book that isnt vatable...howver that same book sold second hand is subject to marginal rate vat.... same item different status
M reg xantia 1.9td 266000 miles expired
R reg xantia 1.9td 186000 miles veggy power expired
L reg renault clio 1.9D 91000 miles expired at 107000 miles
x reg clio 15d veggy power bottom of the car rotted through
06 c5 2.2 TD wowser so much power and comfort 160000 miles
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

I bought 16 - 3 litre bottles of veg oil from Sainsbury's @ £1.70 a bottle.. Brought them home, used a watering can to transfer it into my car and off I went on a 50 mile trip to a friends house, the car performed very well, no problems whatsover.. :) with no mods done at all. :D

But now I have 16 empty plastic bottles to dispose off. so off to the local tip tomorrow.. :lol:
James. (Nr M67 East of Manchester).
Dark Blue ZX 1.9D Auto 1994 'L' 5 dr (modified) Aura. 98K miles used daily. Ave mpg 40
Wedgewood Blue 75 CTD auto Connoissaur. 2002. 144k. used daily. ave mpg 40 ish.
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

....Working Lunch Report....

Post by ACTIVE8 »

There's is a report on this very subject on the BBC Working Lunch programme which can be seen by clicking on the link below.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/w ... 170354.stm

and then clicking on the section:-

Watch: Latest programmes in full

If you then take a look at the programme from Tuesday 10th July, it appears near the end of the programme. :)
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

Unfortunately they didn't tell people, that some of the older diesels run on unmodified veg oil straight from the shop shelf into the car.. :(
James. (Nr M67 East of Manchester).
Dark Blue ZX 1.9D Auto 1994 'L' 5 dr (modified) Aura. 98K miles used daily. Ave mpg 40
Wedgewood Blue 75 CTD auto Connoissaur. 2002. 144k. used daily. ave mpg 40 ish.
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

Most people just don't believe it's possible; I regularly nip to tesco over the road from work for the odd 10 or 15 litres to top the tank up and when my work colleagues actually see me pouring it in they are amazed....this is how they watch> :shock:

They all seem to be under the impression that it'll explode or something, but starting the motor and inviting them to sniff the novelty exhaust smell convinces them it starts and runs and works, but they still won't dare try it in their own cars :lol:
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

.......A Better Smell......

Post by ACTIVE8 »

bxbodger wrote:Most people just don't believe it's possible; I regularly nip to tesco over the road from work for the odd 10 or 15 litres to top the tank up and when my work colleagues actually see me pouring it in they are amazed....this is how they watch> :shock:

They all seem to be under the impression that it'll explode or something, but starting the motor and inviting them to sniff the novelty exhaust smell convinces them it starts and runs and works, but they still won't dare try it in their own cars :lol:
Yes it's is amazing that many people do not know that this is possible !

Although in that respect it's like Citroens, those that are aware are members of an exclusive club, we know something that others do not, and also enjoy being different ! .............Vive La Différence!

As for the "novelty exhaust smell," well at least it's a big improvement on what others have to put up with, when they are behind a petrol engined car with a cat that has just "farted" its rotten egg smell ! :shock:
I could not believe how bad this stink Image was, when I first encountered it !

So, from that point of view running a diesel on veg oil is more environmentally friendly ! :wink: