PMR446: Legally extending range

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Xaccers
My Cars:

PMR446: Legally extending range

Post by Xaccers »

My understanding of the unlicenced PMR446 radios is that they have to have an incorporated antenna (ie non-removable) and transmit at no more than 0.5mW

Is there anyway to legally extend this via an amature radio license?
I'm goind to be using some Midland G7's which can be modded to run at 3W (which is useless if there's no way to do it legally, although it should double the range) this summer for a weekend over a large area down by the New Forrest.
I'm more after increasing the recieve side rather than transmit (don't want to be blocking anyone out with a stronger signal if possible) to be able to contact base camp, or be contacted by base camp incase of emergencies (such as the kitchen tent being blown away again).
Now the G7 has enough space inside to fit a BNC socket, so longer antenna can be fitted, however, to just go ahead and do that would be illegal (as with the power mod, or even using the handset's LPD band).

So is there a license you can get which would make such modifications legal?
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Certainly not with an amateur radio licence. I hold one (G4MEZ) and the PMR446 band is not one we are licenced to do anything on. The nearest is the 70cm (432MHz) band but I think what you have in mind for your PMR446s would not be "permitted traffic" on the amateur bands unless the rules have been relaxed very significantly recently.

In any case, I believe it is still necessary to take some kind of test before a licence is granted. In my day it was the City and Guilds RAE and morse at 12wpm for a Class A licence.

To legally extend range you'd need to run fully licenced PMR and I doubt that is a cheap option. Radio spectrum is very valuable nowadays.

A possible option would be CB (Citizens Band) if it still exists. Years ago you could get walkie-talkies for it. Range on CB should be much better than PMR446.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

I have heard that CB is now unlicensed, however as most people will be carrying PMR's, it'd be an added expense to buy new equipment.
Poop

DIY sphere tool
LeeDJC
My Cars:

Post by LeeDJC »

My Dad used to be all into his Amateu radio (G4VOP) but no longer has the equipment.

I used to mess about with CBs, and these are VERY easy to modify to increase power without buying an amplifier.

All you need is a screwdriver and a power meter.

I haven't looked, but you must be able to get some dirt cheap CB gear off ebay or the like.
2004 Berlingo Multispace HDI, 105000
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Oh I can easily mod the power output of the radio from 0.5W to 3W, I'd just like to know if there was a way of just improving reception, like a longer antenna.

DIY sphere tool
Bananaman
My Cars:

Post by Bananaman »

citrojim wrote: A possible option would be CB (Citizens Band) if it still exists. Years ago you could get walkie-talkies for it. Range on CB should be much better than PMR446.
It does, but the UK FM (muppets) band wont be legal for much longer - its going to be CEPT (Mids) only and bring us in line with Europe. Mind you there isnt much traffic on there these days - mostly amateurs who cant be arsed with the morse exams trying to CQ Germany from Rochdale using a silver rod attached to the kitchen sink going through a 200W burner. Oh and truckers moaning about caravans.

Lots of cheap CB gear on the bay - or get yourself down J21 on the M6 to Truck king.

Anything above the 0.3W isnt going to be legal, but in truth who will know? Shoving a longer antennae on the radio via a BNC would work, but will probably upset the SWR a bit, mind you at that wattage its probably not going to make much odds really. Remember a decent ground plane also affects reception - which is why hand helds are not as good as fixed 2 ways.