Converting the family(slowly)

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

miked
My Cars: Xsara SX (2003) Last of the line.

Post by miked »

I learned to drive in my parents BX 17D. Before that they had an LNA, then a BX 14E. Following that they had 2 BX 19D's and now they are running a Xsara HDi
My first car was a VW derby (polo with a boot) Then I was given my grandfather's BX 14E Leader when he upgraded to BX16. I swapped that after a couple of years for an AX GT which I loved up until I reversed it into a tree at high speed. :cry:
I was gutted but soon found another AX GT and looked after it for 4 years, including driving to spain and back to see my girlfriend (now wife).
I changed it for a Xantia (19TD) as I was doing serious miles up and down the M6 and also needed a tow car.
Next was a Xsara VTR (petrol 1800 16V) which again I fell in love with until a white van ran into the back of it.
Now I have a Xsara HDI 110 and I can't fault it. Apart from it has suffered from the heater blower going full speed (twice), first time fixed under warranty, second time new transistors by myself (With research from this forum)
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Completely forgot an R14, brilliant little car.

Although some muppet had substituted the bleed nipple in the front DS caliper with an 8mm bolt.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Visited my cousin yesterday, been threatening to do it for 15 years now.
She has always driven Hondas, brand new one every year for the past twenty five years, until she got an i-drive Civic. It was dangerously awful, wouldn't overtake, would get up to about 50 then die, same pulling out of junctions, would move forward five feet then stop. Sounded like a motorbike.

The dealeship gave her the runaround for six monthes after which she px'd it for a 407, which she just px'd for a 308 and delares herself highly delighted with it, loved the 407 but found it a bit big.

She says she has also had a Xsara and liked it. She is delighted with the treatment and service she receivs from her local Citroen/Peugeot dealer, who is located right next to the dumped Honda dealership.

Her only concern is that it seems to be a bit on the thirsty side but she hasn't kept any records to confirm it.
lolingram
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by lolingram »

Xac

...which unfortunately span out on a bend and was written off.
All on it's own?
R.I.P. January 2010.
XM 2.1 auto VSX 1996 - Bosch Inj, Xantia HDi 90 estate 1999, Xantia 1.9TD 1997
Previously...
GS 1970, Dyane 1974, Xantia 94 VSX TD, XM 94, 2.1 auto - Lucas Inj, XM 92 2.1 estate - Lucas Inj
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

lolingram wrote:
Xac

...which unfortunately span out on a bend and was written off.
All on it's own?
Unfortunately not, I was in the driver's seat at the time, doing 40mph in a 60mph zone coming from London Colney to Hatfield after leaving the M25 early because of the number of idiots that were there. The road slightly curves to the left (barely a bend really).
The back suddenly gave way, it was like I was driving on ice, I saw a fence in the headlights and thought "Fence, I'm going to hit that" and I did.
Slid along it with my side of the car, heading backwards.
That was the worst bit, not knowing what was going to happen.
Then the car hit a sign post, just behind my door which pushed the frame of the seat into my ribs, breaking two of them but also doing me a favour.
The car went up the sign until it was uprooted and gave way.
Rolling was actually quite fun, but I'd not like to do it again. I remember thinking "Weeee! This is fun. I could die now" before coming to a stop.
The top of the A post had taken the weight of the car as it fell from the sign post, and had I not been pushed over by the seat breaking my ribs, my head would be a lot flatter right now!
So a week in the dirtiest hospital I've been in (QE2 at WGC) where they were going to let me lie in a bed covered in blood, twigs and broken glass if my mum hadn't kicked up a fuss, and 36 stitches to my right ear (not from the accident, but from a thorn tree on the way up out of the ditch!) and I was sent home with pneumonia which they refered to as "a chest infection" which took about a month to kick.
Both times I've had an accident where I've gone off the road I was driving sensibly and well under the speed limit (the other time was in my first Xantia doing 30mph round a bend where the limit was 60).
If I'd been driving like a loon I'd expect it, but not when you're driving sensibly!
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Another family convert - youngest daughter has sold her SAAB 900 and bought a 106.
Even called at a Total station and filled it with French petrol. :D

She still has a SAAB 900, a newer one, but it is in Wisconsin. Her fiancee bought it for her, showroom condition, leather interior, aircon etc.
She flew out there last week and was back the following day, INS chucked her out. She only got as far as Minneapolis and Mike was on the phone to me at 2am wondering where she had got to.
Told her to leave the Kalashnikov here.

Nasty experience that, Xac. A bugger when you were driving sensibly.
lolingram
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by lolingram »

I dabbled with a couple of renaults, parents stayed with citroen, and currently, I have 2 Xantia estates, Dad's got a Picaso, Mum's got a Xsara, and my sister has a C4.
I/we have 3 Xantias Xac.

1) VSX 1.9TD hatch L reg and 250K. Has had a head job due to the dreaded oil leak to camshaft. Still goes very well indeed - kept in UK for frequent family visits from France.

2) 1.9TD Forte Estate R reg and 82K. Now lives in France; suffered from a 'lady' owner who (amongst many other things) didn't tighten the cshaft bolt after a cambelt change, needing lots of TLC (but not too much dosh) to fix. Now lives in France and goes very well.

3) 2.0HDi SX estate T reg and 220K. Looks a little tatty, but drives beautifully; no real probs other than correct servicing. Lives in France.

Of the 2 estates, the HDi (with about the same power as the TD), is MUCH nicer to drive due to the low end grunt, as well as being a lot more frugal. The VSX 1.9TD hatch is a rocket in comparison, due IMHO to the lack of CAT, but above all difference in weight to the estates... this makes a lot of difference below 2000rpm.

My four pennorth.
R.I.P. January 2010.
XM 2.1 auto VSX 1996 - Bosch Inj, Xantia HDi 90 estate 1999, Xantia 1.9TD 1997
Previously...
GS 1970, Dyane 1974, Xantia 94 VSX TD, XM 94, 2.1 auto - Lucas Inj, XM 92 2.1 estate - Lucas Inj
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

myglaren wrote:Another family convert - youngest daughter has sold her SAAB 900 and bought a 106.
Even called at a Total station and filled it with French petrol. :D

She still has a SAAB 900, a newer one, but it is in Wisconsin. Her fiancee bought it for her, showroom condition, leather interior, aircon etc.
She flew out there last week and was back the following day, INS chucked her out. She only got as far as Minneapolis and Mike was on the phone to me at 2am wondering where she had got to.
Told her to leave the Kalashnikov here.

Nasty experience that, Xac. A bugger when you were driving sensibly.
Bit of an update.
She sold the 106 (ages ago) and bought another SAAB 900
#1 son and his girlfriend have both succumbed, she has a Megané and he has just bought a 206. Not a bit like a golf :)
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Re: Converting the family(slowly)

Post by myglaren »

Daughter #3 has just bought an 03 Clio 1.2 to replace her Rover 75.
She does a lot of miles and needs something cheaper to run around in.
She doesn't like the Clio and loves the Rover but the Clio is half the tax, half the insurance and hopefully considerably more economical on fuel.

Only a stop gap though as when she is fully qualified and working she has her sights set on a fully restored SAAB SAAB* 900 Aero cabriolet.

*Not a GM SAAB!

Daughter #1 also wants to dump her Astra for a 206 HDi for the same reason - the Astra is disASTRAously expensive on fuel.