Citroen Hides Odd Find

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

OwenP
My Cars:

Citroen Hides Odd Find

Post by OwenP »

Just seen this on the BBC, thought people might find it vaguely interesting.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/north_west/6725101.stm
2001 406 Rapier 2.0 HDi 90 Estate - Sold Scrap after being viciously attacked by a falling tree
2001 Toyota MR2 1.8 VVTi - To be sold for spares/repair - dead gearbox :(
2014 Seat Ibiza Eastate 1.4 FR ACT (bought in an emergency, but a nice enough low mileage car)
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Didn't Citroen hide the 2CV from the Nazi's incase they used them to take over the world? (100KM on 3L of petrol, and able to cross ploughed fields) And then later from upper managment when the prototypes were ordered to be destroyed? :)
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Xac wrote:Didn't Citroen hide the 2CV from the Nazi's incase they used them to take over the world? (100KM on 3L of petrol, and able to cross ploughed fields) And then later from upper managment when the prototypes were ordered to be destroyed? :)
Yes, that was the forerunner of the 2CV, the TPV. The story goes that the original TPV was not quite the ticket and met with scrorn and were ordered to be destroyed. Some were indeed hidden and a couple surfaced relatively recently. There is one at Beaulieu in "as found" condition if you ever want to see one. The relationship to the 2CV is very clear and it is very, very basic and simple, habving just one headlamp and hammock seats. It was felt a bit too basic even for the French peasant farmers it was aimed at.

Apparantly, development of what was to become the 2CV carried on during hostilities in secret so that the 2CV could go into production as soon as possible after the war. I guess they hid the TPVs so thay had the basic materials to work with.

All the first 2CVs were painted grey. Using up stocks of wartime paint I guess.

Haynes (of BoL fame) published a book on the history of Citroen. It is a very interesting read and goes from the very early days right up to the BX.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...