Possible Sherman Tank project (with pics)

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Xaccers
My Cars:

Possible Sherman Tank project (with pics)

Post by Xaccers »

At our airsoft site we have an old wooden and fibreglass Sherman tank which the painballers used to use many years ago.
It's seen much better days, now most of the panels have rotted off, there's only really the frame inside, the turrent has come off too.
Originially, from the looks of things, it ran off a large electric motor, maybe from a milk float with some electrics which would send any health and safety officer into a spin!
Main contacts switch is directly under the seat, with a metal handle which makes part of the circuit!
The rear brakes are totally seized, from the looks of things they're metal on metal so rusted together.

Was thinking of getting a scrap BX or Xantia diesel (for the veg oil running properties) and modifying the tank to take the engine, steering column and suspension etc.
We have someone who can weld etc, so making mounts on the tank's frame for parts shouldn't be too much of a problem.
Was just wondering about the hydrolic pipes and routing them as obviously the tank is a different shape/length to a BX/Xantia.
Can you buy the pipe in a reel and cut and flare to length yourself?

Would the project be do-able?

Here's some pics of the poor little tank:

1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
deian

Post by deian »

OHHH, all due respects here... u are a crazy man. First thoughts are how or why would you want to put hydraulic suspension on the tank? I can't picture any way it would work. with the tracks and wheels inside etc.

you're talking about totally stripping the chassis of a bx/xantia and stripping the chassis of that and with some clever welding and mathematical engineering you would probably make it work.

It will take a lot of hard work and patience, but i don't think it's entirely impossible, it's certainly a 'challenge'.

Could you share some ideas you may have?
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

GSF:

N65988 PIPE NUT-3.5mm NUT FOR N65972 PIPE BX;CX;XM;XANTIA 0.40
N65990 PIPE NUT-4.5mm 4.5MM NUT FOR N65974 PIPE BX;XM;CX;XANTIA 0.40
N65992 PIPE CONNECTOR 2 WAY CONN. 3.5MM FOR PIPE BX;XM;CX 2.50
N65972 BRAKE PIPE-50M ROLL ROLL OF 3.5MM HYD PIPE FOR CITROENS 50M 65.00
N65974 BRAKE PIPE 25M ROLL 4.5MM HYD PIPE FOR CITROENS 54.00

and you'll need to find a flaring tool too!

Have fun....!
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Well the roads on the site are in poor repair, so having the ability to raise the vehicle over any obstacles would be an advantage.
The tracks/wheels etc on the outside are just cosmetic, originally by the look of the belts inside, these were rotated by a seperate electric motor, none of them turn now, having rusted up totally.
The drive wheels can be seen in the second photo, and are on the inside of the vehicle.
The regulars at the airsoft site are in two minds as to what to do with it, the paintballers don't want it.
Some of us would just strip it down, move it to one of the main playing areas we use, build it back up and use it as an attack/defence object. Might sound like the easier thing to do, but moving it deeper into the woods where it would need to be would be very difficult unless we chop a few dozen trees down when no one is looking...
Others want to rise up to the challenge of getting it moving under it's own steam.
We could go electric again, but that would probably be expensive and there's the issue of recharging batteries.
So I suggested a XUD, with it's veg oil running ability.
Crazy indeed :D

DIY sphere tool
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

Don't forget that you are'nt just limited to a BX or Xantia: any diesel engine will run on veggie oil.

But I reckon you'd be better off just buying a running diesel Landrover or a big old Jap 4x4, removing the body, and just plonk the Sherman's box tube frame straight on top of a running and already sprung 4WD chassis: about a zillion times easier and quicker than trying to adapt a unit constructed BX or Xantia.........I can have the body off my seperate-chassis'd Triumph in an afternoon, and the chassis can still be driven around if you leave the bulkhead and steering column in place: Landrovers are pretty much the same and a whole lot better for what you have in mind than a BX!!
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

Xac wrote: So I suggested a XUD, with it's veg oil running ability.
Crazy indeed :D
You're right about crazy, red diesel would be far cheaper, since it doesn't need to go onto any roads it would be legal too!
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

What's the current cost of Red Diesel?
Is it the same as marine diesel?

DIY sphere tool
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Buld up a new fake Sherman shell over a BX or Xantia, move over the cosmetic belt drives - done :idea:

except now everyone wants to drive the 'Sherman ' :lol:
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

Xac wrote:What's the current cost of Red Diesel?
Is it the same as marine diesel?
Yes, its pretty much the same as marine diesel.

Its like the diesel that you used to get before the low sulphur stuff came along, with some extra red dye and without the 47p/litre of tax on it.

A couple of years back, when diesel was in the 80p/litre price range my Dad bought a tank of the red for his tractor / JCB and it cost 13p/litre, I think its more like 25p/litre today.
weety
My Cars:

Post by weety »

excellent .....i want one!.....

didnt the old old shogun entire cab etc unbolt from the chassis and was only held on by about 24 bolts (seem to remember someone telling me thats why they were so popular with ringers)

tricky to buy red without explaining what its for.... if you explain its for a tank you dont plan to run on the roads (until the revolution :shock: ) you might attract interest from all sorts of government bodies :twisted:

tooting popular front anyone?
M reg xantia 1.9td 266000 miles expired
R reg xantia 1.9td 186000 miles veggy power expired
L reg renault clio 1.9D 91000 miles expired at 107000 miles
x reg clio 15d veggy power bottom of the car rotted through
06 c5 2.2 TD wowser so much power and comfort 160000 miles