off topic: mobile gatso vans

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

OwenP
My Cars:

Re: Speed cams

Post by OwenP »

uhn113x wrote:
Think about it, how many people running red lights do so deliberately? And if they aren't doing it deliberately then how is getting a ticket 2 weeks later going to stop them?
All of them, I would have thought, unless they have not seen the red light at all, which opens a different can of worms!
There are occasions when a bad layout of lights can cause this through a driver spotting the wrong light as they change, I've done this.

First look my light was on green, when I looked back after checking the traffic it had changed to red but I saw a light on a different lane on green that was pointing towards me and interpreted that as a green light for me.

Personally I think in that case it is a bad layout of lights. I will admit to being a bit tired, but not so much so that I was unfit to drive.

Now if people want to rip me apart for this error then do so, there was no accident as a result and no one was forced to avoid me, this helped with the error as the junction was completely clear.
2001 406 Rapier 2.0 HDi 90 Estate - Sold Scrap after being viciously attacked by a falling tree
2001 Toyota MR2 1.8 VVTi - To be sold for spares/repair - dead gearbox :(
2014 Seat Ibiza Eastate 1.4 FR ACT (bought in an emergency, but a nice enough low mileage car)
awg2

Post by awg2 »

The modern cars with their plethora of TLAs** and things that make sure that everyone else gets killed or injured instead of you, and all the electronic toys to play with instead of concentrating on driving don't help, either.
A friend of mine always maintained that the best safety measure in a car was a sharp spike on the steering wheel! I don't agree but it does draw one's attention to the feeling of invulnerability engendered by all the driver skill replacement gadgets in new cars.
C5 2l 2001 130K - daily use X-country (must change job)
Xantia 1.9TD Estate VSX 1995 111k - daily use X-county
3xBX 1xGS 1x16 TS - oh that was a Renault
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

OwenP wrote: There are occasions when a bad layout of lights can cause this through a driver spotting the wrong light as they change, I've done this.

First look my light was on green, when I looked back after checking the traffic it had changed to red but I saw a light on a different lane on green that was pointing towards me and interpreted that as a green light for me.

Personally I think in that case it is a bad layout of lights. I will admit to being a bit tired, but not so much so that I was unfit to drive.

Now if people want to rip me apart for this error then do so, there was no accident as a result and no one was forced to avoid me, this helped with the error as the junction was completely clear.
Crooket Billet roundabout (the flat flyover) at Staines is a good example where lights are badly set out so people mistake the next lot of traffic lights as their lot, so go when they shouldn't.

There's also a roundabout in MK (yes there's LOADS of them I know) by the hockey stadium and McDonalds, traffic lights all around, set so that when one lot goes green, the next is still red, so you hit every red light.
However, if you go round just as the lights go red, by the time you get to the next set, they're just turning green, and I've seen people do this to get round without having to stop!

Do certain streets in London still have the green wave? Where as long as you stick to 30mph you'll only ever supposed to hit one red light as the timing is just right?

As for 23 past a school at 3am, you could have speed limit windows, so during 6am to 9pm 20mph, all other times and weekends 30mph.

It's also been shown that the light up speed limit signs which come on when someone's going too fast have a longer lasting effect on people staying within the limit than cameras.
As people have said, drivers slow down at a camera then speed up again, I'd guess because they feel they're getting one over the authorities, whereas with the light up signs, more slow down and stay slowed down.
The difference between being ordered to do something, and being asked politely I guess.
Course, light up signs don't bring in any cash, which is why there are fewer of them than gatsos.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

As people have said, drivers slow down at a camera then speed up again, I'd guess because they feel they're getting one over the authorities, whereas with the light up signs, more slow down and stay slowed down.
The difference between being ordered to do something, and being asked politely I guess.
I saw some excellent ones in Luxembourg, a glum face if you go to fast, and a smiley one if you slow down.....they work well and the kids sit in the back shouting at you if you get a glum one....they are literally like this: :( too fast... :D within the limit!!

Your driving might be up to standard, but don't think you won't have an accident because you are a good driver, if you can spot the bad drivers (or the dangerous car) then you can avoid the accident.
..........so true,from popular classics forumhttp://popularclassics.forumcircle.com/ ... php?t=1875
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

bxbodger wrote: I saw some excellent ones in Luxembourg, a glum face if you go to fast, and a smiley one if you slow down.....they work well and the kids sit in the back shouting at you if you get a glum one....they are literally like this: :( too fast... :D within the limit!!
They have them here in Milton Keynes, on a rota system so they move around the city.
Sure with the lightup signs you'll get idiots trying to activate them, but once activated, those idiots tend to slow back down again.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

bxbodger wrote:I saw some excellent ones in Luxembourg, a glum face if you go to fast, and a smiley one if you slow down.....they work well and the kids sit in the back shouting at you if you get a glum one....they are literally like this: :( too fast... :D within the limit!
We've got those around here, the authorities move them around to different villages and localities on a regular basis.

I love 'em and think they're great. They seem effective too and handy for checking your sppedo calibration...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

uhn113x wrote:
Traffic light cameras - seem like a good idea but they actually increase accidents so not such a good idea.
How's that, Homer? I am not disputing what you say, just asking why. :)
We are ot entirely sure. Some of the increase can be attributed to people seeing the camera and slamming on when they would have otherwise safely passed through on amber or just on red. Added to that they do nothing to stop the really dangerous red light runners. But the facts are there, and indisputable. It's what we call the law of unintended consequences.

Think about it, how many people running red lights do so deliberately? And if they aren't doing it deliberately then how is getting a ticket 2 weeks later going to stop them?
All of them, I would have thought, unless they have not seen the red light at all, which opens a different can of worms!
I'll elaborate.

You have 3 reasons why people run red lights.

People nip through just after the lights change, in which case it is rarely a danger as there is a delay before they change the other way. We could alter this delay but with what consequences? OK they broke the law but punishing them isn't doing anything for road safety.

People don't see the lights, or are confused by the layout. These are generally the most dangerous and they will be unaffected by the camera since either they won't see it or if they do they think they are in the right.

Then you have the illegal, the unregistered, the untraceable. A growing underclass of motorist which policing by camera encourages. They don't care about cameras because they never see the ticket.

It's much the same story with speed cameras. The only people who get caught are those driving normally and otherwise legally. Which is why we have seen an end to the annual reduction in road deaths and have started to see an increase.
SteveG

Re: off topic: mobile gatso vans

Post by SteveG »

dan_the_v8man wrote:Hi

the mini gatso camera's they put in a van parked at the side of the road... do they flash when they've caught you? as i saw one coming up today and slowed down but i dont know if i slowed down quick enough.

do they work on a similar sort of range to the standard fixed cameras?

anyway back to my main question. the camera did not flash. does that mean im safe?

Cheers

Dan
The mobile cameras used in vans aren't like the fixed Gatso and because they take your picture from in front of you they don't flash - there'd be hell-to-pay if the flash caused you to crash into the bus queue. So, no flash does not mean no fine :-(

Range is up to about 200m but is dependent on what the operator is doing.

HTH
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Re: off topic: mobile gatso vans

Post by Homer »

SteveG wrote: The mobile cameras used in vans aren't like the fixed Gatso and because they take your picture from in front of you they don't flash -
There is also a mini-gasto which is tripod mounted and takes a picture of teh rear.
there'd be hell-to-pay if the flash caused you to crash into the bus queue.
They don't seem too bothered about that with truvelo, which uses a visible flash which should have a magenta filter but is often broken and has been known to give a very bright flash at oncoming traffic.
Father Ted

Post by Father Ted »

OwenP wrote:I have also heard that they have a quota of tickets to meet, so they tend to ignore the 10% leeway if they are running low on tickets sent out or if they plain don't like the look of you. Don't know how true this is, but I wouldn't put it past the police at the moment.
Owen - I have used this little baby in the past to defend myself - an open letter from the local Scamera Partnership.