A Big Salute to the Mighty Xantia!

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

A Big Salute to the Mighty Xantia!

Post by CitroJim »

Today I have been towing our caravan down to the New Forest. As yet the Activa is not equipped to tow so I used our old faithful Xantia TD.

What a day and what a car :) This is one occasion when the Hydropneumatic suspension really comes ito its own: From being able to drop the rear right down to aid hooking up and then the self-levelling when the caravan is on the back. It holds the rear-end beautifully and apart from a bit of a lack of grunt from the engine, you are barely aware the 'van is on the back. The Xantia is one very, very good tow-car. It maintained legal-limit speeds wherever possible, mainly in fifth gear and with good economy :D

My 14 year old daughter rode shotgun with me and she claimed the car stereo for her i-pod via the facia jack socket (what a feature, how did Citroen know about i-pods in 1993? :wink: ) but in doing so we were blissfully unaware of the major problem on the A34 just north of Winchester. We were about 10 miles from the acccident when we stopped for a break and a bite to eat near Newbury when a fellow caravanner told us about it as we exchanged pleasantries whilst parked up amongst the HGVs. We took a detour down the old A30 to bypass the problem and in doing so found a better route which completely avoids the M3 and M27 before Lyndhurst.

Going along the old A30, which is a bit twisty and undulating, my daughter coined a new expression. I remarked to her it was a good road whereupon she answered "Yes Dad, but it's a bit cornery.." :)

We reached our destination well ahead of SWMBO who had elected to go M1, M25, M3 and M27 :roll: thinking she'd beat us to it and thus be able to choose the pitch.

Unfortunately, when the pitching was done, I had to leave to return home to look after the pets, remaining children and house for the weekend :(

The Xantia responded magnificently, doing the return leg non-stop at legal limits wherever possible and in record time with not one single beat missed. Not bad for a very early Xantia with nearly 185,000 miles under it's belt. I'm one very happy person and once again the Xantia proved what a great car it is. I got out at the end of the motoring marathon feeling fresh, relaxed and free of any ache apart from my left foot from what seems now to be a heavy clutch. It's not but it seems so after the hydraulic clutch in the Activa. :D

The exercise will be repeated on Sunday to bring the 'van home again.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Sl4yer
My Cars:

Post by Sl4yer »

Good on your Xantia Jim!

I hope my ZX can show similar reliability to 185,000 miles. Although it will probably be about 25 years old by then! 8)

I know what you mean about hydraulic clutches too. Takes a while to get used to the unassisted version again. :shock:

James
Now Citroenless for the first time in 20 years
2008 Mazda RX-8 231
2007 Honda CR-V Auto
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

On a good day my old TD VSX est was a great tow car.Took us all the to Rome,Tuscony & Lake Garda in Italy no probs(2002).But on its bad days...
It would struggle in a head wind,could`nt tow with the air con on much as the engine would get to hot,many a time i had the temp gauge at the max,it would also seem to slow.Then other times it would sit at 60 with the air con & temp on 90 for a whole journey :? .All this despite having the engine boosted & new rad & flush etc.Without the caravan it ran fine.
My 406 though is the best tow car to date.I did miss the Xantia`s suspension the 1st few times,but it tows well over the 60mph limit,up hills in 4th that the Xantia needed 3rd,temp gauge never moves off of 89 with or without the caravan,i can have the a/con on when towing :D ,& the cruise control is great when towing.
Were off the Lake Garda & Venice again in June with the caravan.Will give the 406 a good workout going up & through Mont Blanc!! :)
53`406 est SE Hdi 140,110k
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

np wrote: My 406 though is the best tow car to date. :)
Just out of interest, what mileage do you get when towing? As you can see, I tow with a 138 C5 Estate. Over the winter I towed the 1400 miles down to Malaga and back and averaged 28.5mpg. During the journey I played with the on-board fuel computer and produced the following figures. All the examples are on dual carriageways avoiding traffic holdups. 120miles at an average 65mph gave 22.7mpg. 130 miles at an average 60mph gave 25mpg and 260 miles at an average 55mph gave 31mpg. I've previously done the same journey in a 2.1 Xantia estate and a BXTZD Estate and both vehicles gave similar mpg, although I was able to drive at a higher average speed.

Although the C5 is more comfortable I think the 2.1 Xantia was the better performer.
2010 C5 X7 VTR+Nav 160
1998 1.5 Saxo
1998 Pug 306 1.9D
2018 C4 B7 VTR+
2011 Citroen C1
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

I would like to make you all aware that you have made me miss my Xantia once again :cry:, damn i miss that car and how i hate this fiesta.

The juddering/shuddering still hasnt been fixed, its in on Monday, seventh time now i think.

Me mums zx needs a service very soon though.
Volkswagen Golf 59' 1.6TD S :(
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

I`ve been working away again staying in my caravan in Kington,west of Hereford,about 85 miles away.Came home mon,mainly fast A roads cross country,with the last 25 miles dual carrigeway & then the M4.Fuel computer said average of 31.6 mpg,average speed of 38 mph when i got home.I had some steep hills in places to,so i think that mpg is good.I have been getting over 50 mpg solo a lot off the time on some journeys.
53`406 est SE Hdi 140,110k
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Jim, Shani says you're a bad man, making me want a tow bar for mine now :D
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
reblack68
My Cars:

Post by reblack68 »

I'll be a worse man then, and show you where to get one. http://www.buypartsby.co.uk/towbar-citroen.php.

My 1997 Xantia TD has a similar mileage to Citrojim's and continue to be amazed at how good it is. It could do with more power and the clutch is a bit heavy but it is a fantastic car to travel in. My mate was complaining about the state of a stretch of road, I travel on it every day and I honestly didn't know it was bumpy.

I recently upgraded to a 2000 model HDi estate, which hasn't been looked after as well. I'm hoping that it will be just as good once I've ironed the bugs out. It's the best estate car I've had though. The space is well proportioned, the load deck is flat, the seats fold easily (and there are places to put the head restraints), the spare is in the right place (you only need one puncture in a loaded car to realise that under the boot floor is the wrong place) and you find yourself wondering why all estate cars don't self-level.

Sorry Mezuk, I'm not helping am I? :D
Richard

No French cars of my own at present.
Care of a 1994 205 D.
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

reblack68 wrote:I'll be a worse man then, and show you where to get one. http://www.buypartsby.co.uk/towbar-citroen.php.
That's the cheapest C23 towbard kit I've seen!
You're really not helping! :D
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Xac wrote:
reblack68 wrote:I'll be a worse man then, and show you where to get one. http://www.buypartsby.co.uk/towbar-citroen.php.
That's the cheapest C23 towbard kit I've seen!
You're really not helping! :D
Sorry, I feel bad for starting this thread now :oops:

Xac, I'm more than happy to fit you one :D

That is a very good price for a Witter 'bar though and I think the Activa will be getting one soon. Seeing as how the Activa seems to have the torque of at least two 1.9TD engines I reckon it'll be a knockout as a towcar. Maybe it has that much torque to allow the towing of a caravan and a petrol bowser at the same time :?

An excellent trip back with the 'van on Sunday. My i-pod was in the stereo jack this time though :) . Once again the car was faultless and we had a very pleasant and uneventful trip despite the howling wind on the A34 and a wretched green Vauxhall thing that stuck solidly at a constant 52MPH with me following from J1 of the M27 all the way up to Newbury. This horrible car, in a nasty pale green was going a little to slowly for the Xantia to be comfortable in top gear but just too fast for me to overtake :twisted: :twisted:

We stopped in Newbury simply to escape it :wink:

Xac, I've sent you a PM.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
reblack68
My Cars:

Post by reblack68 »

Remember the towball and electrics are extra, although they are still reasonably priced.
Richard

No French cars of my own at present.
Care of a 1994 205 D.