On the look out... advice regarding the CX

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

deian

On the look out... advice regarding the CX

Post by deian »

Hi Guys,

Just thinking aloud here, my passion for Citroen is still growing since my own Xantia refuses to die.

Recently I nearly had an XM V6, as it goes, we were both up for it but small things stood in the way, desperation on both sides as well as distance and cost and commitment issues got the better of us, we are both cool about it, the guy decided to keep it now anyway...

I'm still on the look out for an XM, generally a 2.0i turbo (would be more sensible), or a 2.5td (sensible) or a even a V6, in mark one though. With loads of toys in it :wink:

I'm also looking for a Xantia, mk1 this time, in black with spoiler, choices would be the early 16v 2.0, the 1.8 dual fuel (mk2 i believe, still good), a V6, or an Activa, manual or auto, the point is, an auto box is just as likely to fail as a manual one, so i'd still gonna be in the same situatuion. Stuck with no box.

Moving on, a CX is something I'd buy too, it really becoming a classic car, i will be the first to admit that i didn't like it as all at first, but it's grown on me so much. Obviously the one to go for would be the GTI Turbo 2 in red, as i've seen one on here by someone. I know they will be expensive to buy nowadays, but I recently saw a black one on ebay from south wales and was only a few hundred pounds, would have been a nice project.

So I'm wondering if any of you hardcore CX fans know of any secret sites for info?

Your thoughts are much appreciated. :lol:
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Loads of info like workshop manuals can be downloaded from Citroeny site - most of the info is in English.

http://citroeny.cz/servis/servis.htm

Should fill your hard drive nicely!
jeremy
deian

Post by deian »

english?
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Hi Deian

XMs are getting a bit thin on the ground now, the most sensible one is the 2.1 td manual if you are doing any ammount of miles as the engine and gearbox are virtually bomb proof. The 2.5 TDs are fast and nice to drive but are difficult to work on and to get spares for. If you dont want to be sensible, get a petrol one, there are a lot more of those about!

The CX is a surperb car, I ran them for 10 years, for the last seven years I had a CX25 DTR turbo estate, very refined and advanced for its time. I covered over 150k miles in it, the money I saved in fuel over the cost of running a petrol one, more than paid for the car! The steering and suspension design was better than the XM!
deian

Post by deian »

It's the steering/suspension setup that appeals. I recently had a ride in an XM, and the suspension on that was fluid like compared to my Xantia, I guess I need new centre spheres to start with and see how it is after that.

But I'd love a CX of course, the GTI one with 168bhp seems ideal, not too much power, but still a lot! I remember seeing a CX break disguised as a future car on the film Children of Men driving through a forest, suspension seemed to take all the brunt.

Obviously it takes time to find a good XM let alone a CX, don't wanna wait too long though as I guess the prices will go high soon!
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

jeremy
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

The ride and handling on the CX was even better. It didn't of corse have the hydractive suspension like the XM so rolled a little when cornering but It didn't bother me, I just liked the superb ride. What made the handling so good was the powered variable auto self centering Diravi steering, combined with the centrally located steering knuckles, which overcame the 'normal car' tendency to deflected by any backward force on the front wheels. It was possible to easily steer the car in a straight line with a flat front tyre! Guess how I know! The only criticism I have was that it had a lousy heater.
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

Not so much a lousy heater, as generally hopeless ventilation. The heaters
on S1's are actually very good. I've heard it mentioned over the years that
the pressure enevelope over the Cx's profile isn't helpful for the air intake's
position on the bonnet - the best input feed for the throat of the blower
should have been fed from the front grille...

It's never worried me too much - most of the time I drive with the
sunroof open or a window slightly open no matter what car I'm driving.

http://www.cxclub.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=69

Andrew
Last edited by andmcit on 25 Jan 2007, 22:18, edited 1 time in total.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

9 years owning & driving a CX (saloon) was a constant salute to the superb DIRAVI powersteering, the true floaty ride and the extremely well noise dampened cabin.
Period.

Servicing and repair was however a completely different story :roll:

Clutch change : complete drivetrain to be lifted out the engine bay.
Corrosion problems : rear subframe & front footwells were literally crumbling before your eyes :cry:
Electric system : a constant source of deeply involved entertainment.
Any minor repair or regular service in the engine bay was easily turning into a nightmare with skinned hands and arms as a result.
"Professional" garages (Q-fit exhaust, tyres, oil service etc) always lifted the car on the front-rear going subframe crossmembers, which then bent or collapsed completely.

No wonder it was a costly car to service at dealers.

The CX had its era. But it would nowhere do as a daily commuter these days.

-

-

well maybe ...
if it was 100% galvanised ...
if the electrics were remade by someone not constantly sipping a certain red coloured liquid ...
if ...
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

For the last month I've been commuting to work in my Cx GTi T2 - EVERY
day there's THAT magical moment that makes me wonder why the hell
I'm bothered to faff about with Xantiae. I will agree the fuel consumption
isn't it's best feature, but hell, my mileage isn't that high so why fight it...

Andrew
deian

Post by deian »

But surely you can put LPG on it Andrew? Glad to hear so many nice stories and praise about the CX, if only I could find one, just to have a ride in. So I could then know what people go on about. :(
DoubleChevron
My Cars:

Post by DoubleChevron »

I drive a CX everyday as my only car .... However I'm in Australia where they don't rust.

I'll be blunt, if you don't own a shed with a sheltered work area don't buy one.

They are *not* unreliable, infact I've run CX's the day I got my license. They are however at least 20years old now. Anything of that age is going to need work.

Changing the clutch is an engine out job, the engine & gearboxes are basically indestructable. I've never had a worn driveshaft ....... until now :roll: The GTi Turbo shudders under accelleration if I put it on intermediate high, so there's obviously wear in one of the driveshaft joints.

Electrical system is terrible. You'll have many hours of fun cleaning plugs and connections. Niggly little bits of the interior will fall apart (eg: oil/water/trip computer displays dropping segments, dash doors breaking, roof lining dropping, back coming away from the front seats etc...). There will always be something niggly to be done to keep you entertained :)

The biggest downfall of the CX by a long shot is the interior ventilation, they are bloody not in summer (the inside of the car gets heat soak into the front floors and firewall, the air-con is useless and can't move enough air to make a difference). The heater is quite ok.

Would I drive anything else ?? No way, we have a Xantia Hyperactive here, and it's not a patch on the CX to drive (it's air-con works well though :)).

seeya,
Shane L.
'96 Big BX 2.1TD exclusive slugomatic (aka XM)
'85 CX2500 GTi Turbo Series II (whoo hooo)
'96 Xantia VSX slugomatic (sold !!)
and of course, lots of old Citroens, slowly rusting away in pieces ;)
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

Why on earth would I want to weigh the car down and fill the boot with a
stupid big torpedo!? The Cx spare lives under the bonnet so there's no
way that can be swapped with an LPG tank hidden away...

Nah, happy to live with a Cx as it was intended - at least I know I'm deriving
maximum enjoyment for every litre of Unleaded!!

Andrew
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

I tried to answer this yesterday, but a dreaded 'puter lock up' foiled me, so I'll try again.

I'm an old CX tragic from way back. I've owned 2200 manual 4 speed, 2400 manual 5 speed, 2.5 Gti manual and a 2400 C-matic, so I've done a lot of miles in them.
Best by far was the c-matic which was the top 3 gears of a 4 speed transmission driven through a torque converter and operated via an electrovalve solenoid to control fluid to the t/c.
On a trip, that car would get around 8.7litres/100 klms (33 mpg) but around town 11L/100 klms (25mpg) was a push.
Ride was good to excellent, brakes unbelieveable, handling whilst good, needed a bit of getting used to (door handles almost rubbing the road in fast tight corners takes a bit of getting used to) :shock: only car I've ever seen that can blow a tyre out and the first indication you get that it's blown is when the shredded rubber hits under the guards and the only car I've ever seen that you could fling off tarmac onto gravel at 150 kph (when a Police car was doing a U turn across double white lines just over the crest of a hill) [-X and still stay fully under control.
Seats are better than most high priced lounges, particlarly the rear seat; I drove the C-matic 1300+ klms from Sydney with a 6'4" son in the rear who refused to sit in the front because he was so comfy in the rear.
The old series 1 2400 pushrod engine was bombproof. I once asked for a price to get one rebuilt and couldn't get one because nobody out here had ever heard of anyone needing to do one. At the time, mine had around 560,000 klms on it so I thought it might be getting close.
Living out here, I was somewhat amused to see the comment about heating, as it had the reputation over here of being possibly one of the hottest cars ever made, so shows the difference climates can make. Here we don't bother with the air/con in most cases as it just does not work unless you're prepared to spend a fortune insulating etc, so with mine, I just tore it out to give a bit more underbonnet space.
Agree with Anders; electrics are a nightmare on them with a combination of too light a gauge of wire used coupled to the habit of repairers to stick bits in here and there instead of replacing decent lengths.
Repairs aren't all that common and if you're going to pay someone to do them for you, you'll need a trusted repairer and a big bank balance. If you are a DIYer, then forget shortcuts; there are none, yet most times the long way is the quickest.
When it comes to doing anything on the drive train as Anders says, it all has to come out which isn't all that big a deal as we've had the lot out within 2 1/4 hours, but if this is ever necessary, then make life easy on yourself and do a full check over while it's there. We did gaskets seals and clutch as well as sorting all the hard to get at wires and hydraulics, new engine mounts and a general clean up of the engine bay. It will then last you for years before nything else needs doing and would be one magic motor car.
Rust is a major problem and again, nothing in half measures. All out, cleaned up rust properly removed and paint wherever you can get it.
Living where they salt roads in winter, there's no way I would venture out when that was going on or you might end up with what they call a a "Disprin car." (ie) Leave overnight in water and it's dissolved in the morning. #-o :-$

Alan S
RIP Sept 19th 2008.

She said "Put the cat out" She didn't mention it was on fire!!
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

Niggly little bits of interior fall apart only if you're hamfisted or allow
hamfisted passengers to fiddle around where they're not wanted.
The dash digital display is really the only regular failure point on S2's.

How many other models have their own s**t design feature too!?

Xm - earthing (and regular heater matrix failure?)
Xantia - strut top
Bx - rear 1/4 pillar "window" opacity
2CV - chassis failure
GS - camshaft wear (oil leaks)

etc etc (for all these faults, I still loove'em though)

For that matter how about other marques; sounds as though Renault Clios
don't have correctly closing bonnets...

Andrew