Watchdog again

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

bxbodger
My Cars:

Watchdog again

Post by bxbodger »

Last series it was leaky pluriels with dodgy cutting out engines, and last night it was Clios with bonnets springing open and slamming up against the screen on the motorway-the BBC apparently had 200 odd reports of this, but Renault won't admit to a fault or do a recall (but have apparently changed the design on the latest one) they wouldn't even put a press officer up for interview, unlike the exploding fruit smoothie man, who fielded the questions excellently getting plug after plug in for his product......

Is it something about French manufacturers that they like to bury their heads in the sand- or are they just not bothered about bad publicity?
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i think its most manufacturers these day dont give a flying whatsit for there products,merc denied responsabilety with ther very dangerouse hi tec braking system a year or two ago
regards malcolm
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

Thats the 2nd time Clio`s have been on watchdog.They did the same problem a year or 2 ago,& i think i posted it on here somewhere at the time.
You`d think they would do something :x
53`406 est SE Hdi 140,110k
UFO
My Cars:

Post by UFO »

np wrote: You`d think they would do something :x
Ban Clios. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Craig Keller
Gerringong
Australia

"A little dab of LHM goes a long way!"
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

bury their heads in the sand

Japanese influence.
We don’t admit failure. [-(
But we quietly fix it. Image
2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

Sorry but Watchdog don't know anything about cars.

A few years ago they were responsible for the Xantia handbrake recall, even though Citroen insisted it was owners not applying it fully.

What did Citroen do? They filed off the first few notches on the ratchet so numpties had to pull the lever up properly.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

well with regards to the XANT/BX hand braaker sindrom,i belive the fault shows when the mechanisum in the calliper has not adjusted its self up as its ment to do in normal running,then with the lever pulled right up to its max it dose not apply full presure to the pads,what i tell all of my customers with XANT/BXs ist with the car on level ground hand brake off,engine running just press hard two to three times on the brake pedel,this usualy aadjusts the mechanisum,do not stamp on the pedel
regards malcolm
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

The problem with the Xantia handbrake is actually due to the discs shrinking as they cool.

The basic system is similar to that on the BX which is exceptionally powerful with a nice fine ratchet and a well placed lever. So - good system - and you apply it gently as it feels nice and works well. Fine for holding the car at traffic lights but pull up with hot brakes, apply it gently as normal, car holds, get out and lock up and go away - and your car cools as you would expect. However the brake discs will contract as they cool, and - yes that's right - they release.

One person killed by a poorly applied handbrake is one too many and I know its happened several times. My own BX has run forward due to this problem, fortunately with me in it and a large earth bank in front of it. Its always left in gear now.
jeremy
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

Jerremy
i do agree its finaly due to the discs cooling down,but also if the calliper dose not adjust up as its ment to in use no matter how gentle or hard you pull the lever on it will still not put quite enough load onto the pads against the discs,i belive this is all relavent
regards malcolm
rossnunn
My Cars:

Post by rossnunn »

TBH anybody, no matter how bad they or their company's been will always get a little bit of respect back from me if they turn up in the studio of that programme - They would have just released a statement.
reblack68
My Cars:

Post by reblack68 »

There are hundreds of cars with disc handbrakes, why do their discs not shrink as they cool down? Is it because the Xantia's are on the front and have been working harder prior to parking?

I always leave my car in gear and turn the wheels towards the kerb when I park on a hill anyway, whatever kind of car it is.
Richard

No French cars of my own at present.
Care of a 1994 205 D.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

reblack68 wrote:There are hundreds of cars with disc handbrakes, why do their discs not shrink as they cool down? Is it because the Xantia's are on the front and have been working harder prior to parking?

I always leave my car in gear and turn the wheels towards the kerb when I park on a hill anyway, whatever kind of car it is.
yep im sure that is why front hand brake citroens do this,whilst other cars with rear hand brakes on discs tend not to
regards malcolm
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

rossnunn wrote:TBH anybody, no matter how bad they or their company's been will always get a little bit of respect back from me if they turn up in the studio of that programme - They would have just released a statement.
The trouble is that Watchdog won't let the facts get in the way of a good story.
nick
My Cars:

Post by nick »

citronut wrote:
reblack68 wrote:There are hundreds of cars with disc handbrakes, why do their discs not shrink as they cool down? Is it because the Xantia's are on the front and have been working harder prior to parking?

yep im sure that is why front hand brake citroens do this,whilst other cars with rear hand brakes on discs tend not to
regards malcolm
On the versions of the ZX & Xsara that have rear discs their rear calipers are really just scaled down versions of the front calipers used on Xantias. I've never heard of a ZX or Xsara rolling away for this reason, so that would also suggest that heat is the cause rather than the design itself.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Many modern cars hardly use the back brakes unless heavily loaded. Some Vauxhalls actually came with the recommendation that once a week they should be driven with the handbrake on a bit just to keep the back brakes clean!

The classic distribution is 70% front, 30% rear - but that is before pressure sensitive systems etc do their bit so the rear brakes will not get very hot even if they are much smaller than the front. They do however make a difference as I was reminded after I'd overhauled the back drums and handbrake adjusting mechanism on our ZX - even my wife noticed the brakes seemed much more effective and sometimes the back jumps up when the footbrake is released.

Must say I never had any trouble with my Jaguars apart from seized linkages and self adjusters that didn't lock. Actually thats not quite true - I did nearly loose my Daimler V8 250 down a hill but I kicked the release button as I got out that time!
jeremy