My veg 2 tank conversion

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

ssray
My Cars:

My veg 2 tank conversion

Post by ssray »

First sorry its not on a french car, i started using a veg/diesel and in winter up to 20% unleaded mix in my 205d then the same in my bx estate now i have a rover 420td but have been gathering info /parts since the 205.
I was gifted a nice ex-boat alloy tank that i put in the boot, this helped me decide to go ahead, I had orignally thought of using 2x 3way manual ball valves but these are about £30ea.

I was pointed in the direction of http://stores.ebay.co.uk/evalero1 in the states, i got a 6 port pollack valve with the plung for £32 inc postage(it took 4 days to arrive,no extra tax on it).

I went to my local hydraulics place and they were very helpful but quite a large operation,then i found a smaller operation that were very intrested and had most stuff in stock.

the basics are-i start and run on diesel for up to 5 miles(no heat exchanger yet-next week) when all very hot i switch from diesel to veg and carry on with no change in engine note or mpg or performance.

i spent about £100 on parts £32 on the valve,£1.50 on a switch from maplins(£7.50 from pollack) and the rest on fuel hose,clips and fittings.

the other thing is that i loop the return on veg,so when on diesel the return goes back to the tank,but on veg it goes back into the fuel inlet and helps warm up the veg before it hits the ip.

i have a flate plate heat exchanger to fit over xmas,should help when the weather gets bad.
Any questions?
Ray
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

After all its a french XUD powered car :D

Very interesting description.
Please feel free to submit on-coming results from driving experience and further intallation details.
Which make of diesel pump and injectors are fitted ?
Did you pay any special attention on fuel hosing rubber type by the different Derv<->Veg fuel composites ?
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
ssray
My Cars:

Post by ssray »

Hi Anders, sorry its a rover L spec engine in this one,it has a bosch pump and as its a 1998 model i do not think that the hoses are rubber but i am monotiring the situation.
I have put a couple of bits of clear hose so i can make sure there is no air in the system.
I am getting around 45-48 mpg on veg and its 800 miles since i put £20 of diesel in the tank,quite a good feeling.
I thought it may be of intrest and i will keep you updated.
The way i have the plumbing it is the same way i would have done in the planned xantia but the rover came up first.
Cheers Ray
ssray
My Cars:

Post by ssray »

Update-first problem: I purchased a larger s/h plastic fuel tank to replace the large flat one that is in my boot, stupdley i did not clean it out within 200 miles my filter was blocked(thank goodness not fuel pump) and my lines were leaking air.
This has spurred me on to reseal and replace some lines purchased a flat plate heat exchanger and i will be fitting a larger fuel filter with a small plastic one just before it.
since my last post i have been doing approx 1600 miles per mth first 5 or so on diesel then changing to veg till the last mile with no problems.
spare filter will be in my now usable boot.
Ray
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

Did you try just adding veg oil to the fuel before you did all the mods? I tried it twice with a ZX 1.9D using 6 gall of sunflower cooking oil, then topping up with diesel, results? the car ran slightly better, but fuel mpg was down by about 10% .. :)

As far as I can tell, the ZX with a Bosch pump / XUD engine, prefers to run on cooking oil, and does not require any mods at all. !! :lol:
James. (Nr M67 East of Manchester).
Dark Blue ZX 1.9D Auto 1994 'L' 5 dr (modified) Aura. 98K miles used daily. Ave mpg 40
Wedgewood Blue 75 CTD auto Connoissaur. 2002. 144k. used daily. ave mpg 40 ish.
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

My 1.9TD Xantia loved Tesco veg oil.
It also ran on 100% soya oil without trouble during the summer last year.
Seemed to have more oomph too.
Wish my 2.1 could :(
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
ssray
My Cars:

Post by ssray »

I used to use a mix but i`m doing lots of miles at the mo` so it was worth it to convert, i used to run my bx on a mix-a couple of times 20% petrol and 80% svo.