hmmm

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

jgra1 wrote:yeah thats what i thought.. but the wheels are free to rotate, the conveyor wants them backwards then thrust wants them forwards..
they cant do both..

;)
Dont focus on the wheels - they dont provide thrust or any other forces - except anti-gravity on ground contact :lol:
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

but...

ok...
;)
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

jgra1 wrote:yeah thats what i thought.. but the wheels are free to rotate, the conveyor wants them backwards then thrust wants them forwards..
they cant do both..

;)
Yes they can, it's how they normally work. You drive along, the bottom of the wheel is stationary (relative to the tarmac), the hub moves forward at the speed of the car, the top moves forward at twice the speed of the car..

If it's a free moving conveyor then the wheels won't rotate the belt will move forwards, in this situation the plane could take off with the brakes on. If the belt is moving backwards the wheels will simply rotate at double speed.
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

Having first verified that the angels on the head of the pin are sitting this one out, The wheels start to turn as the thrust builds up and ther reaction to the ground is matched by the conveyor belt sothe aircraft remains still because the thrust is opposed by the rotation of the conveyor. No airspeed is made so the 'plane remains on the ground. Unless it is a Harrier.
Be happy: it is a way of being wise. (Confucius.)
'92 TZD Estate(Grolliffe), Gone but never to be forgotten.
'95 405 GLX TD Estate. too new to name.
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

tomsheppard wrote:the thrust is opposed by the rotation of the conveyor.
How?

The wheels all but eliminate any force being transmitted from the conveyor to the aircraft, leaving a net forward thrust from the engines.

added: this should give you all the explanation you need.
FrenchLeave
My Cars:

Post by FrenchLeave »

But as the thrust makes it try to move forward, the wheels will rotate faster and the conveyer belt will accelerate to the same speed!
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

FrenchLeave wrote:But as the thrust makes it try to move forward, the wheels will rotate faster and the conveyer belt will accelerate to the same speed!
Dont focus on the wheels ... :idea:
Its NOT a car - but a plane :wink:
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
G4EIY
My Cars:

Post by G4EIY »

Hi Folks,

As its getting near to Chrismas, I thought I would have a go on this theoretical question..

Remember, "For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction"..

So, what force projects a plane - the thrust of the engine through the air.

As the air is not connected to the conveyor, you will have forward movement.

The conveyor may move, or it may not move depending on the frictional drag.

Put it another way, if chocks are placed in front of the wheels, when thrust is applied, the plane and conveyor will move together, or if not enough friction between the wheels, chocks and the conveor surface, then these will slide, but the plane will still continue to accelerate and move forward untill the required lift is produced, then the plane will take off.

Extreme care is required if Santa and his sleigh should land on this dam conveyor, as the only way he will get off is side ways !!...

Oh, on second thoughts, if they do manage to land on the conveyor, they won't be able to stop, will have to wait till they get to the end of the conveyor - Bump...

By the way, if any one wishes to track Santa's progress, then this is the link to use:

http://www.noradsanta.org/en/tracking.php

Happy Christmas to you all..
Last edited by G4EIY on 23 Dec 2006, 10:24, edited 1 time in total.
Brian - 86 Visa 17D Sorn(192K)/ 86 BX 17RD (220K) Scrapped/ 92 BX 17TZD Turbo Diesel (191K)
96 306 XRDT (174K)
mrbump
My Cars:

Post by mrbump »

Anyone who has ever done mechanical engineering at higher level will see that when you draw a free body diagram for the WHOLE aeroplane, and resolve the forces at the prop/wings, the sum forward force is influenced by the forces at the wheels only by the drag created by the wheel bearings internal friction and the tyres on the surface. Therefore the wheels will spin at twice the speed as normal for any given ground speed (ground being the ground underneath the conveyor), but the rest of the takeoff will look like normal!!!
Citroen ZXTD Volcane VNTGE (Gasket Eater)
uhn113x
My Cars: 1981 Dyane - on road all year round.
1982 GSA Pallas - on road April - September.
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

Post by uhn113x »

I would say that the wheels, conveyor, etc are nothing to do with it! How about a seaplane, with no wheels?

The movement is the reaction from the engine thrust against the engine; otherwise rockets would not work in space. The only issue with the wheels is drag; if we slow them down enough, insufficient airspeed will be reached - typically 120-150kts on a typical commercial jet.

Airspeed will increase until the set vR is reached, then there is sufficient lift (due to the aerofoil section) to rotate the aircraft by pulling the stick back. We are airborne.
Mike in West Yorks
1982 GSA Pallas
1982 Dyane
1997 ZX Dimension