Bi-Annual MOTs?

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

uhn113x
My Cars: 1981 Dyane - on road all year round.
1982 GSA Pallas - on road April - September.
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

Post by uhn113x »

Clogzz wrote:
the gubmint have shot themselves in the foot with the scrapyard legislation
What’s this about ?
I can see from this distance that they’re up to no good, but what did they do ?
Once upon a time, when we struggled up the hill carrying a pile of Hovis to the strains of Dvořák's Ninth Symphony (UK bread advert on TV :wink: ) we would take our car to a scrapyard and return with a fistful of beer tokens.

In more enlightened times, all sorts of legislation has been created so that many smaller scrapyards have gone out of business, and those remaining charge you to take a car there. They have to separate all sorts of things, have separate facilities for draining fluids, all at their cost.

Consequently, instead of taking the car to the scrappie, they are dumped around the countryside at night, all nombers removed and then torched.

BTW, I have never taken a car to a scrapyard!
Mike in West Yorks
1982 GSA Pallas
1982 Dyane
1997 ZX Dimension
philhoward

Post by philhoward »

uhn113x wrote:Once upon a time, when we struggled up the hill carrying a pile of Hovis to the strains of Dvořák's Ninth Symphony (UK bread advert on TV :wink: ) we would take our car to a scrapyard and return with a fistful of beer tokens.
At the moment, the value of scrap steel is so high that scrappies are collecting cars for nothing as long as there's an engine in there..it can even be in the boot for all they care as long as the weight is there. My local scrappies happily came 10 miles to collect the remains of the last Xantia as it still weighed over a ton with a load of bits missing.
uhn113x
My Cars: 1981 Dyane - on road all year round.
1982 GSA Pallas - on road April - September.
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

Post by uhn113x »

Just shows how fickle the scrap metal market is! I got a shock when I was looking for enamelled copper wire recently.

Sadly, as far as the scrappies were concerned, the damage was already done and many of them are no more. The remaining ones should make even more profit now.
Mike in West Yorks
1982 GSA Pallas
1982 Dyane
1997 ZX Dimension
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

the strains of Dvořák
Nice to see Dvořák properly written ! :D

Same scenario here, many ‘wreckers’ have closed, even some well-organised ones.
Weekly visits from the police; collection, sorting and proper disposal of pollutants and diminishing returns have put many out of business.

Much of the currently ‘well-priced’ scrap metal is shipped to China, and will soon come back to us as cars.
The same happened in the years before World War II, when Japan was buying all the ‘pig iron’.
2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

Its got to the point now where anything left sitting around unused looking for a while, like a donor car, is being hi-abbed away by the local pikeys!!

And to think the last time I got rid of a car to the scrappers I not only had to drive it there myself, I was also supposed to take the wheels off and take them away with me when I got there......