Motoring writer seeks help from BX, CX and XM owners

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

My mother had a Volkswagen Jetta with a carb.....

She had that car for about 10 years, it had an automatic choke and we never had to touch the plugs or the points. Once you knew how to set the automatic choke (pressing the accelarator down once before you turn the key the first time) it would start instantly every time. Admitadly that car did a few thousand miles a year, but it worked, far better than the manual choke systems on a friend's Fiesta.....
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

Sounds like a Pierburg 2E2, in which case she was very lucky the thing worked at all!!! An absolute horror of a carb :evil: :!: More parts in the carb than in the rest of the car put together........
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

Hiya bxbodger.. My speeding case got dropped in the end, :) they ran out of time. :lol:

My bro is in the same process at the moment for doing 36 in a 30 limit late at night down a long hill.. It really does look as though they are not prepared to persue people who don't simply send the money and keep stumb..

I guess they have so much money coming in, they are running at full tilt just handling that lot, so it's not worth their time and trouble chasing the people who dispute the penalty they imposed.

If I am anything to go by, it's not so much the fine I object too, it's the 3 penalty points they hit you with!

Another thing that really annoys me, is the fact that when they put up camera warning signs.. they dont remind you of the local speed limit? Dorset is dreadfull for that.. Loads of camera signs, few signs telling you what the limits are, and half of those are hidden by overgrown trees and bushes.. :evil:

Honda 23 ave mpg aint that unusual really.. Mazda 323 1.8 exec auto ave 24 mpg ish.. Vaux merit 1400 auto 22 ish, Honda civic 1400 (carb one) auto 28 ish.. All friends cars.. In my experience people tell BIG porkies when it comes to mpg for automatic cars!!! lol...

And it's being made much worse by the constant stop start caused by so many vehicles on our roads now.. :-( For the last 3 times I have been down south I have been held up on the M6 from Stafford right up to the Knutsford jctn for M/cr airport.. Nearly 20 miles of start/stop on a major M/way halves your MPG for the whole journey!!
Last edited by James.UK on 29 Nov 2006, 11:43, edited 1 time in total.
James. (Nr M67 East of Manchester).
Dark Blue ZX 1.9D Auto 1994 'L' 5 dr (modified) Aura. 98K miles used daily. Ave mpg 40
Wedgewood Blue 75 CTD auto Connoissaur. 2002. 144k. used daily. ave mpg 40 ish.
fourwheelsteer

Post by fourwheelsteer »

The 28mpg for my Prelude was carefully checked but I'm sure most people don't have a clue how to work out mpg. The BX is far less economical, I think 25mpg is about the average but then I do a lot more local journeys than I did when I had the Prelude. I also remember a work colleague complaining about the poor fuel consumption of his Accord auto.

I'm sure the Prelude's advanced engine management (for its age) helped the fuel consumption compared to the BX's old fashioned carb. I also miss the fuss free starting and impeccable manners of a Honda engine. *sigh*
1987 Citroen BX19TRS auto

My Blog: http://fourwheelsteer.blogspot.com/
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

Yes, Alan. A carburettor, for our younger readers was a device for supplying an engine with precisely the wrong mixture at all lengine speeds and pulling two pieces of metal apart to set a spark going was the way that primitive earthlings made their transport work.

Very little goes wrong with modern electronics, problems usually residing in the connections or sensors, all of which can be easily tested with a bit of noddle.

I'll stick to the electronics, thanks. Here in the 21st Century they are well understood and welcome.
Be happy: it is a way of being wise. (Confucius.)
'92 TZD Estate(Grolliffe), Gone but never to be forgotten.
'95 405 GLX TD Estate. too new to name.
Bananaman
My Cars:

Post by Bananaman »

Tom, you appear to have neglected to tell Fourwheelsteer that you are ana cclaimed published motoring writer.... :wink:
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

I took it as read that he already knew. Gosh it's hard being a role model! :oops:
Be happy: it is a way of being wise. (Confucius.)
'92 TZD Estate(Grolliffe), Gone but never to be forgotten.
'95 405 GLX TD Estate. too new to name.