PC problem.

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

>>Did you solve your problem James <<

YES! (at last!) Svchost exe is used by microsoft to access my PC. That's why it stops giving me problems when I turn my auto updates off..

Just noticed it's 03-00 am! dohhh.. So I will explain in more detail tomorrow as an edit to this post..
James. (Nr M67 East of Manchester).
Dark Blue ZX 1.9D Auto 1994 'L' 5 dr (modified) Aura. 98K miles used daily. Ave mpg 40
Wedgewood Blue 75 CTD auto Connoissaur. 2002. 144k. used daily. ave mpg 40 ish.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Svchost is an essential daemon. On some computers it does seem to run riot though. Personally I have never had a problem with it.

Do be cautious of the latest XP update - it can kill your internet connection, it did on a laptop I have been sorting out and was about to return yesterday, didn't get it back until an hour ago.

I have been in contact with a few others who's computers have been affected, but it doesn't happen to everyone for some undefined reason.
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

It's ZoneAlarm that's killing the internet connection.
They suggest rolling back the update or setting ZA security level to medium to get online and downlaod the latest ZA update.
XP/W2K machines affected.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

To save confusion I will put the info here.. :)

I tried to update my XP with security patches, but once again I got svchost using all my PC power, soooo I left it.. Just went and watched TV for an hour just to see what would happen.. :roll:

When I checked, my PC had found all the updates including sP3 ?? so it had obviously worked ok even with zilch power? uh uh, no way! .. :shock:

So I checked with task manager, and scvhost was not running! it showed 00 usage, from that I realised that svchost was in fact connecting to Microsoft via the XP auto update programmes and that was the cause of it constantly turning itself on and slowing my PC to a crawl!! :twisted:

I have turned the XP auto updater off... That stops svchost auto connecting with its home site add lib... :)

I now get my updates by going to Win update via my address bar and know that as soon as I go there svchost will slow me down, but as its doing what i want it to do i.e. searching for updates, it's ok..

I had a similar problem with AOL.. That had a prog called waol exe that used all my PC power.. I got round that by going -- start/settings/networks connections/ and setting up a new connection using my AOL log in name and password, then made that my default connection.. That bypassed AOL's browser.. heh heh.. And oddly enough, when i tried the usual way in so i could get my email, it worked ok without waol exe playing up again??? Brilliant!! :)

So at this moment in time, my PC is running ok again.. tomorrow however ... is promised to no one!! :lol: :shock: 8)
Dark Blue ZX 1.9D Auto 1994 'L' 5 dr (modified) Aura. 98K miles used daily. Ave mpg 40
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

There is a fix out for the AVG problem. (The Register). An even better one is to defect to AVAST!.

@James - have you tried setting the autoupdate to a time when your computer is idle - I have my laptop check every second tuesday at 03:00 when I'm likely to be sleeping.
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

Hi myglaren

Nooo way.. I can't trust this PC to behave when I am here so no way I'm going to leave it running when I'm asleep!! :shock: It would probably try to rule the world!! :shock: :oops: :lol:
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

James.UK wrote:It would probably try to rule the world!! :shock: :oops: :lol:
Very... very... very... very... slowly.

DIY sphere tool
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Xac wrote:
James.UK wrote:It would probably try to rule the world!! :shock: :oops: :lol:
Very... very... very... very... slowly.
:D :D :D
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

I'm sorry to say I don't have a solution for you but I'm willing to bet cash that neither Svchost.exe nor Windows Update is the culprit. They may be the victim but not the cause.

Have you rectified your inability to delete the temporary internet files folder contents via the IE menu TOOLS > OPTIONS? I suspect that is also a victim of whatever your problem is.

Have you consulted the Event Logs? They can give an insight into problems encountered.

Xac seems to think ZoneAlarm is the problem and he may well be right as firewalls are designed to be obstructive intentionally and therefore require proper configuration to avoid problems like you're experiencing. I found most third-party firewalls unacceptable and suggest you're better off using the Windows firewall instead.
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

My post Re ZoneAlarm was in response to Myglaren's warning about the latest XP update from MS, nothing to do with the initial problem and only an issue if you run ZoneAlarm :)

Windows firewall? The firewall that just won'd die!
Even if you switch it off it still seems to block things unless you go to advanced and untick the network devices it's "protecting"

DIY sphere tool
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

To come back to the cache clearing issue, if it still is an issue.
Spybot S&D will clean the cache/cookies etc.etc. using the Secure Shredder in the Tools menu.
Even better is CCleaner linked to earlier, it is very thorough and quite aggressive. Once the trash is out, the registry cleaning tool is also very effective at removing unused crap from there too.
It isn't an antimalware tool as such but a lot of malware will lurk in temorary internet files.
Virus checkers work faster after a cleanup as there is significantly less for them to do.

Use the link on the previous page if you plan to use it. Some sources are somewhat suspect and some even expect you to pay for it or download shovelware with it.
Filehippo and download.com are generally OK.
It is only a two minute download & install, runs very quickly too.
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

Hi Mike.

>>>Have you rectified your inability to delete the temporary internet files folder contents via the IE menu TOOLS > OPTIONS?<<<

I never have had a problem doing that Mike, I think you missunderstood me, what i said was, clearing those files does not clear any of the files hidden in IE5.. :roll:

To clear IE5 you have to open the temp internet folder, then in the addresss bar at the top, add -- \content.ie5 then click the "go" on the right hand end... This opens a new folder with sub folders all of which contain histiry, cookies, and temp files.. I usually have to use my "unlocker" prog to clear them all out.. :roll: :)
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

Sorry everyone, I can't keep track of threads longer than ............................................where was I? :oops:

Ok James, I see what you mean now. Just put a tick in the box to remove offline content, that should delete those hidden files and folders.