Naughty, naughty

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Naughty, naughty

Post by JohnD »

2010 C5 X7 VTR+Nav 160
1998 1.5 Saxo
1998 Pug 306 1.9D
2018 C4 B7 VTR+
2011 Citroen C1
lighteninguk

Post by lighteninguk »

We have those sort of bollards at my university again designed to help buses move about, I think so far 3 people have been caught out by them and then captured by the student unions newspaper.

The first one, shows oil leaking everywhere from the Merc with the bonnet fit to burst.

(Both about 9MB or so in PDF format)

http://uhsu.herts.ac.uk/media/universe/ ... /i2v12.pdf

This second one just looks like they got hit right in the radiator.

http://uhsu.herts.ac.uk/media/universe/ ... /i4v12.pdf

Just shows how stupid it is to try and get through them. Plonkers!
ZX 1.4I 1993 Reflex KDX
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

These the rising bollards?

Is it really fair that someone who makes a wrong turn should have their car wrecked? Is that a fit punishment for the crime?
slim123

Post by slim123 »

No it's not right to have your car wrecked for a wrong turn, but if you study the clip, you can see that the second car realises that it cannot get through and reverses back to wait for a bus, then wallop.

Also we have some of these around where I live, they are clearly marked as bus lanes, and are even painted red, so I guess that admitting to not seeing the signs could be seen as driving without due care and attention.

Also, whats even better, it's funny cos it dont involve me !!!!!

Regards
Slim
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

I must be blind but it looked like the second (small) car had plenty of room to drive over the curb around the left hand side of the pillars to get by ??

Cruel and unusual punishment indeed! Glad we don't have any of those things over here in NZ... :lol:

Regards,
Simon
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

That Mercedes is well wurgled isn't it - bet that was a phone call he'll never
forget when he had to tell his dad what kinda happened to the car...

Would insurance pay out for a car where the owner was clearly stupid in
charge of his motor vehicle...? :lol:

Andrew
Homer
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,

Post by Homer »

slim123 wrote:No it's not right to have your car wrecked for a wrong turn, but if you study the clip, you can see that the second car realises that it cannot get through and reverses back to wait for a bus, then wallop.
I'm not commenting on individual cases, I know for a fact these have wrecked cars when the drivers have been innocently following a bus, not seen the signs because they were SHOCK HORROR LOOKING FOR PEDESTRIANS and not expecting something to rise from the ground 3 feet in front of their car.
andmcit wrote: Would insurance pay out for a car where the owner was clearly stupid in
charge of his motor vehicle...? :lol:
Maybe not but they would have a good case against the council since these things are being used contrary to DfT guidelines.

And what happens if one of these things come up beneath someones fuel tank?

Another horror imposed on us by short sighted, narrow minded, anti-car council officials.
Homer
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,

Post by Homer »

Here's a link to the DfT's Traffic Advisory Leaflet on Rising Bollards published in 1997:

http://www.dft.gov.uk/stellent/groups/d ... 504750.pdf

This says:

"The system should ensure that bollards cannot rise beneath a vehicle because of the danger this would create. It is better to risk a certain amount of violation by "tailgating" vehicles, rather than put road users at risk."

And how about driver kiled by rising bollard.

If your local council has them I suggest you write to them before more of your coucil tax goes on paying compensation to victims.
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

Is it really fair that someone who makes a wrong turn should have their car wrecked?
Is that a fit punishment for the crime?
The finding here is that often those who make a wrong turn are just lost, and have this look on their faces: :?
2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389
My Cars:

Post by 8304 »

i dont have problem with the use of these bollards.

ive only ever seen them used on bus lanes which are clearly marked. People need to take into consideration their surroundings.

in the case of a fixed bollard say in a car park, say if the driver for whatever reason selects 1st rather than reverse and drives into it damaging their car. Is this a fair punishment for their mistake????

i bet everyone on those people knew they were driving onto a bus lane but chose to try and get away with it.
Zxtd Aura converted from 1.8i Petrol - Lowered, 20psi boost extra fuel - weeeeeee!

MK2 Cortina 1600e

Honda Acty Romahome - 545cc!! - (the "beast")
Homer
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,

Post by Homer »

8304 wrote: ive only ever seen them used on bus lanes which are clearly marked. People need to take into consideration their surroundings.
I would rather people in control of two tonnes of moving metal were watching out for stray pedestrians rather than the colour of the road surface or booby traps rising from the road 3 feet in front of them.

And I would have rid of bus lanes entirely in order to cut congestion.
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

In regard to the scond driver she clearly deserved it....in regard to the first, the driver did seem to be going awfully quick and catching the pedestrians by surprise, including a buggy.
Volkswagen Golf 59' 1.6TD S :(
My Cars:

Post by 8304 »

homer,

Quote:
"I would rather people in control of two tonnes of moving metal were watching out for stray pedestrians rather than the colour of the road surface or booby traps rising from the road 3 feet in front of them. "

If a driver doesnt see the change in road colour and the endless signs as you approach a bus lane and then the warning signs around the bollard saying "warning rising bollard" they dont have much chance of spotting anything, including pedestrians! :shock: and so id rather they werent driving atall!!

I live in cheltenham and on the lower high street for years only busses were meant to drive down their as it was pedestrianised but busses were allowed in to collect shoppers. There was a big sign up saying "no cars or motorbikes" and "bus lane only" but everyone ignored this as it was a handy short cut. They have put one of thier rising bollards in now to stop people driving down there, really it shouldnt be an issue as you were never meant to drive down their in the first place.

At the end of the day if you are not meant to drive on a piece of road you shouldnt. Would you prefer a descreet camera collecting number plates and issueing fixed fines for drivers who ignore the road signs? then they would be able to drive down through the pedestrian areas and on bus lanes puting more pedestrians and shoppers at risk.

As part of holding a licence to drive on the road it is the drivers duty to observe road signs, be responsible for everybody elses safety and follow the rules. The other angle is the councils and authorities have a duty to all road users to make the roads useable and as safe as possible to all. I believe generally they do this, especially in light of the signage surrounding these bollards as you approach them, which i agree potentially can be dangerous. But it think "reasonable procautions" have been taken to reduce the risk of these bollards causing damage / injury. There will always be sombody stupid enough or willing to try it on with things like this and they are the people who will get into bother with rising bollards.

no i dont work for the council, no i dont hate cars (quite the oposite - i love them - just bought a gas guzzling :shock: bmw 325 coupe) and yes i did get carried away typing there!!! :lol: but its an interesting subject.
Zxtd Aura converted from 1.8i Petrol - Lowered, 20psi boost extra fuel - weeeeeee!

MK2 Cortina 1600e

f00lzz
My Cars:

Post by f00lzz »

Why not use barriers like in multi storey car parks ?.. certainly more visible and more familiar to most road users.
Ian
Account Ref: 6419

Current Cars
Nissan X-Trail SVE
Saab 2.2TiD
Merc E270 Estate

Past Citroens
2001 Xantia 3.0 Exclusive
1999 Xantia 1.9TD
1997 Xantia 3.0 Exclusive
1995 XM 3.0 Exclusive Estate
My Cars:

Post by 8304 »

good point, but i think a falling barrier might be more dangerous to pedestrians, even ifr it fell gently and hit an older person on the head it might cause problems.....

MK2 Cortina 1600e