SM HDi

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Village
My Cars:

SM HDi

Post by Village »

This is a purely hypothetical question as I'm both skint and mechanically inept, but who thinks that the 2.7 HDi from a C6 would fit in an SM?

'Dreamer' Pete
French car free zone....
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

yes - but - you're fundamentally changeing the car's character - from a lusty high-revving engine to a low revving growler and I doubt if the result would be pleasant.

Yes I know fuel costs would be less but I doubt if anyone would do a high mileage on an SM these days - so its significance fades.

The biggest problem would be finding a suitable transmission as the max revs for the diesel will be 4300 or so and the proper Maserati V6 revved to 6250. Torque would be a problem as the Maserati torque was 177 lb ft at 4000 RPM and I think the diesel produces 100 more at about 2500 RPM. The SM pulled about 23.4 MPH per 1000 RPM in 5th.

New transmissions probably wouldn't fit as the SM was in line, with the engine behind the gearbox. Range Rover is of course in-line which means some of the bits are available (6 speed auto) but I don't think it would mate at all as the SM driveshafts come out behind the clutch (ie behind the gears)

Just because you can do something doesn't mean its a good idea!
jeremy