Highways Agency Traffic Officers - HATO

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

mezuk04
My Cars:

Highways Agency Traffic Officers - HATO

Post by mezuk04 »

Just thought I would ask what is the general opinion about the new recruits for the Highways Agency that now supervise the motorwars.

Do you feel they are of benefit?

Just another waste of resources?

Do you think their are safety implications?

etc
Volkswagen Golf 59' 1.6TD S :(
mbunting
My Cars:

Post by mbunting »

Yes I think they are of benefit, saves a traffic cop from sitting behind a fender-bender for an hour until it's sorted while tens of untaxed, uninsured or dangerous cars are using the motorway.

Yes I think they are a benefit to safety - with the one exception that they drive far too slowly on the motorway - causing lorries to need to overtake, and therefore causing tailbacks, and perhaps even the fender-benders they deal with !
405 STi Auto Est
Cruise, Aircon, Sunroof
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

Very glad you raised that one, it does get quite annoying when they sit at 50mph and HGV's have to overtake causing congestion, when their number one purpose is to keep traffic flowing.

However in a recent meeting (I work on the A1(M)) it was said that two of the HATO's killed a female driver, up North somewhere because they did not do the correct procedure or something of that nature.

I have a copy of a CCTV piece (from our network on the A1(M) on disc showing an utter cock-up by two HATO's causing quite a serious accident to be honest, and driving off not realising the carnage behind them.

Surprisingly after that, the Highways Agency got off our backs a little after that as we've allowed the HATO officers to patrol our network until its handed over in 33 years time.
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

They need to look a little less like real cop cars, even the lights are disguised so you can't tell what colour they are when they are off.

I also have a few concerns about future plans for these plasic bobbies.

As usual for this country, what could have been a good idea is f**ked up in the execution.
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

They are a complete waste of time and resources, which would be better used to provide real traffic cops!!

Their purpose isn't to free up real traffic coppers at all- they exist purely because they are cheaper than real coppers, so the government don't need to pay for more proper traffic coppers with proper training and knowledge of the law. I bet HATO's don't get a pension either......

Same with PCSO's- round our way they are now being given Smart cars, so they don't even have to walk anymore!! How are they supposed to act as the Polices 'eyes and ears' as advertised, if they are loafing around in a toy car???

I work for HM government, on my first day a long time ago I was made to read and sign the Official secrets act, got a grave lecture on integrity, and I will get a decent pension at the end of it. I have access to a lot of sensitive data but I don't abuse my position as I have something to lose. It makes my blood boil when I see the sort of person we now employ in low grade jobs on an untrained casual basis, to sort out files, that sort of thing, who have similar access to records that I have as a proper civil servant.

The outcome of this sort of cost cutting is that information is stolen and sold-names, NINOs, dates of birth, whole identities, by these casual staff, as they have nothing to lose.

HM government just carries on using them as they are cheaper than the real thing- just like HATO's, PCSO's and the like!! Sod the efficiency, training, and ability!!
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

You have to be very 'aware' when working next to live carriageways and I am very much s**t myself when I do.

I cant help thinking that these HATO's feel they are immortal....I so want to publish the video to show you to HATO's do something very silly and which nearly caused a fatality but I think I just may lose my job :cry:
mbunting
My Cars:

Post by mbunting »

I have to admit, I did consider applying for the job myself, as a change ( I'm a programmer ), but never quite got around to it - I have enough of a problem with my wife working shifts, without me starting as well !

If they could polish off the rough edges, and give more information to the public about what they do, as well as identifying thier vehicles in a more distinct way from police cars, then we could be onto a good thing.

However, I've quite often seen them around broken down lorries or cars talking to the occupants while standing on the hard shoulder, surely up the embankment would be a safer place if you actually need to talk to them at all ( after all, that's what the SOS phones are there for.... ).
405 STi Auto Est
Cruise, Aircon, Sunroof
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

Well thats part of the problem....they think they are immortal with their teeny tiny traffic cones.

It does seem a bit silly that they are their to assist a breakdown, basically they sit in their vehicle while a rescue vehicle arrives, which to me is asking for it, regardless of their rear stickers they should be up the embankment themselves if they are sticking around for any length of time.

The main purpose for them is to show the members of the public (tax payers) that the Highways Agency is a present and is doing something. They are mainly for show, nothing more.
howiedean
My Cars:

Post by howiedean »

mbunting wrote:I have to admit, I did consider applying for the job myself, as a change ( I'm a programmer ), but never quite got around to it - I have enough of a problem with my wife working shifts, without me starting as well !

If they could polish off the rough edges, and give more information to the public about what they do, as well as identifying thier vehicles in a more distinct way from police cars, then we could be onto a good thing.

However, I've quite often seen them around broken down lorries or cars talking to the occupants while standing on the hard shoulder, surely up the embankment would be a safer place if you actually need to talk to them at all ( after all, that's what the SOS phones are there for.... ).
I tell you what with the idiots driving up and down the motorways, these guys earn every penny they get!!!
I suppose once they get used to doing the job the safety aspect will become second nature. I think knowing these guys are about is a bit reasuring, especially knowing they are not going to do you for going too fast!!!

Regards
Howie

2006 Fiat Idea Dynamic 1.3 Multijet
2010 Renault Laguna Dynamique tom tom 2.0 DCI 130
C5 VTR 2l 8v HDI Estate 112000 miles gone
Kia Rio 2007 1.5 CRDI 62,000 miles gone
2001 Dodge Durango 4.7 V8 170,000 miles gone
1999 Ford Crown Victoria 4.6 V8 151,000 miles gone
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

howiedean wrote:especially knowing they are not going to do you for going too fast!!!
At the moment they aren't........ :wink:

But things may be about to get a bit of a shakeup in the speeding ticket arena.

Can't say too much, walls have ears and all that. :wink:
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

Homer wrote:
howiedean wrote:especially knowing they are not going to do you for going too fast!!!
At the moment they aren't........ :wink:

But things may be about to get a bit of a shakeup in the speeding ticket arena.

Can't say too much, walls have ears and all that. :wink:

Very true, we work rather closely to the police and the HATO's but cant confirm anything our end.

I suppose once they get used to doing the job the safety aspect will become second nature. I think knowing these guys are about is a bit reasuring, especially knowing they are not going to do you for going too fast!!!
This contradicts I'm sure! :P
I'm just not convinced about their worth!