Activas getting rarer by the week 'thanks' to ebay...RANT:-(

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

I may be being pedantic and a sad git here but I still don't feel it's all right then for ANYONE with a few spanners to make "especially engineered" conversions way beyond the manufacturers specifications without any sensible regulation/legislation to prevent a serious accident just waiting to happen that may just involve innocent bystanders like you or me....

Over the years it's been shown a bigger engine in a small car is an easy way of going fast, and this can be very enjoyable/exciting when it's done properly [like I said there are good as well as bad extremes with everything] but even manufaturers don't get things right all of the time from NEW - and they have a far greater budget to faff about getting it right!

I WILL DOGEDLY STICK TO MY ORIGINAL POINT OF THIS THREAD; IF YOU WANT AN ACTIVA GET ONE WHILE YOU CAN:

http://tinyurl.com/qqwov

Again, for no money but at least it may survive the convertors due to it's high miles...

Andrew
macaroni
My Cars:

Post by macaroni »

Well said that man. Anyone else who agrees should buy mine for £750. (See For Sale section).

It is in excellent condition and far too good to be used as spares for a 205.

I have loved mine for 2 years now, but just fancy something different.
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

I hope it goes to a good home too!!

So what's different enough to an Activa! Where do you go next...?
Do you fancy a mint last of the line silver 22 TRS CX? :wink:

Andrew
macaroni
My Cars:

Post by macaroni »

Well, I have been test driving a Peugeot 406 coupe, the sensible choice, an Alfa 156, the exciting choice and at the weekend, I will testing a Matra Murena, the completely bonkers option!

A CX would certainly be different. How much would that be, I wouldn't dismiss it completely?
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

I hope it goes to a good home too!!
When I sell a car I don't care who buys it or what they're going to do with it. Once they hand the cash over it's theirs to do with as they like.

They can take it straight home and cut it up, set it on fire, whatever- or even just drive it..........it's not mine any more so I ain't bothered!!
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

I guess some of us get sentimentally attached to the good cars that pass our way...

I've still got my first CX that I bought in 1989; a swordfish grey 1984 2.4 GTi left hooker with original Belgian plates still applied under the British ones, and a lot of time/Citroens have come my way by since then!

But I've still got it! Can a car be viewed simply as just another white goods item which purely does a bland task of conveying travel from A to B; easily disposed after it's served it's purpose in our reckless throwaway society?

I don't agree. Cars aren't unemotional items - after all why are we on a Citroen forum talking about them here then? We don't ask for advice or help on another forum when the vacuum or washing machine plays up...

Well, I don't!!:lol:

Andrew
weety
My Cars:

Post by weety »

andmcit wrote:I guess some of us get sentimentally attached to the good cars that pass our way...

I've still got my first CX that I bought in 1989; a swordfish grey 1984 2.4 GTi left hooker with original Belgian plates still applied under the British ones, and a lot of time/Citroens have come my way by since then!

But I've still got it! Can a car be viewed simply as just another white goods item which purely does a bland task of conveying travel from A to B; easily disposed after it's served it's purpose in our reckless throwaway society?

I don't agree. Cars aren't unemotional items - after all why are we on a Citroen forum talking about them here then? We don't ask for advice or help on another forum when the vacuum or washing machine plays up...

Well, I don't!!:lol:

Andrew
but we (on the forum) are tending to buy and use cars that are different from the norm....i bet if you went down your local supermarket and did a quick poll amongst all the people turning up little 'city shopper' sorts of cars you would find they didnt care......

cheap cars are being sold as white goods now and a lot of people treat them like that........
M reg xantia 1.9td 266000 miles expired
R reg xantia 1.9td 186000 miles veggy power expired
L reg renault clio 1.9D 91000 miles expired at 107000 miles
x reg clio 15d veggy power bottom of the car rotted through
06 c5 2.2 TD wowser so much power and comfort 160000 miles
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

yep thats why they are just euro boxs,the only down side is they all look the same after comming out of the crusher HE HE HE
regards malcolm
pete@co.uk
My Cars:

Post by pete@co.uk »

hi guys

After reading all this im saddened to think that good cars in great condition like the one's pictured here on this post are being broken up for no reason i mean a s reg activa all that's needed is an exhaust i think these people who break cars up in when there in such great condition just don't understand the logic of what there doing its such a shame to see cars like this going to the crusher for no reason. Ive just been doing up a 1.9 td xantia if you,ve read all my threads you'll know the car but Ive actually saved that car from the crusher and given it a new lease of life and its now all in great working order with a 12 months ticket and on the road as it is today when Ive done all this work restoring mine it really makes me sick to see this kind of thing happening :evil: i wish i could get hold of one of these cars and save it from this wicked fate i have and always will have a great feeling for my cars and i always stick to the manufacturers spec i never change anything and always keep my cars nice and always feel it if i see anyone abusing a car.

well ive had my say. :evil:

pete.....................
Drives
51 Reg Citroen C5 SX 2.0 16v
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

pete@co.uk wrote:hi guys

After reading all this im saddened to think that good cars in great condition like the one's pictured here on this post are being broken up for no reason i mean a s reg activa all that's needed is an exhaust i think these people who break cars up in when there in such great condition just don't understand the logic of what there doing its such a shame to see cars like this going to the crusher for no reason. Ive just been doing up a 1.9 td xantia if you,ve read all my threads you'll know the car but Ive actually saved that car from the crusher and given it a new lease of life and its now all in great working order with a 12 months ticket and on the road as it is today when Ive done all this work restoring mine it really makes me sick to see this kind of thing happening :evil: i wish i could get hold of one of these cars and save it from this wicked fate i have and always will have a great feeling for my cars and i always stick to the manufacturers spec i never change anything and always keep my cars nice and always feel it if i see anyone abusing a car.

well ive had my say. :evil:

pete.....................
Agree totally. My thoughts exactly.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

Post by Richard Gallagher »

I've put my money where my mouth is, having just bought a rather nice Activa :D which most certainly won't be broken up for parts :lol:

I've always wanted an Activa but had been putting it off until a later date, however at the rate they are now being broken up I decided to act right away before they are all gone.

Now then where's the phone number for Pug parts/Birmingham salvage as it needs a new front roll corrector ram :wink:
Berlingo Multispace 05 1.6 HDI
Picasso 02 HDI SX
Xantia 97 TD VSX
Xantia 96 Activa
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

At the current rate of destruction it looks likely the Activa IS an endangered property!

Be interesting to know just how many actually made it into the UK in the
first place and how many are actually registered and in use on DVLA's
records today - anyone know how this info can be obtained?

I just hope that no more have to meet such a grisly end - I can't see
there being an unlimited demand for these conversions...surely?

Andrew
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

If I had enough wealth and space I would own every Citroen variant :lol:
Volkswagen Golf 59' 1.6TD S :(
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

mezuk04 wrote:If I had enough wealth and space I would own every Citroen variant :lol:
That's what I'm trying to do too!! Wondered where my salary keeps going to... :wink:

Andrew
macaroni
My Cars:

Post by macaroni »

andmcit wrote:At the current rate of destruction it looks likely the Activa IS an endangered property!

Be interesting to know just how many actually made it into the UK in the
first place and how many are actually registered and in use on DVLA's
records today - anyone know how this info can be obtained?

I just hope that no more have to meet such a grisly end - I can't see
there being an unlimited demand for these conversions...surely?

Andrew
I have this info somewhere, I will try and dig it out.