goin on Hol in Bideford N/Devon

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

James.UK
My Cars:

goin on Hol in Bideford N/Devon

Post by James.UK »

I will be in Bideford (North Devon) near Barnstaple end of Sept for a week. Not been before, just want a change... :)

So anyone know of nice places to visit in the area? I wanted a boat ride up the river but no-one does any.. :cry:

Don't fancy going to Lundy island, too far, too rough and it's an all day thing.. (Good cure for sea sickness.. sit under a tree) lol..

Some brill rentals about, :) 4 bedroom houses on the Dorset, Devon, Somerset, and Cornish coasts and inland for around £600 a week if you avoid kids hols and mid-summer.. :D
James. (Nr M67 East of Manchester).
Dark Blue ZX 1.9D Auto 1994 'L' 5 dr (modified) Aura. 98K miles used daily. Ave mpg 40
Wedgewood Blue 75 CTD auto Connoissaur. 2002. 144k. used daily. ave mpg 40 ish.
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

I used to live in Bideford and they did river trips then, but I agree that there's nothing advertised now. You may well find when you get there that a local boat owner is willing to take you out in exchange for a couple of beers.
Failing that, the Instow - Appledore ferry is worth a trip, and there are coastal trips from Clovelly.
I'll have a think about other attractions, and post here again soon. What sort of things do you enjoy doing?
Yu've chosen the right time: N Devon gets very crowded 'in season', but should be quieter by then. Many attractions shut down for the winter, though, so there may not be quite so much choice.
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

Cheers dsney.. I realy like doin nothing.. lol.. Just drive around, eat at nice pubs. Take some nice photos, Visit local villages, take the dog for a walk, and enjoy the views.. :)

I might take the "tarka trail" for walkers, if they let me go by car.. he he :lol:
Dark Blue ZX 1.9D Auto 1994 'L' 5 dr (modified) Aura. 98K miles used daily. Ave mpg 40
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

pop to Exmoor for a decent walk :)

I used to live nearish...

john
demag
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: "H" Citroen Bx Tgs Automatic.
2006 Toyota Prius T4 Gen 2.

Post by demag »

Pop to Ilfracombe. Its lovely by the harbour with shops, chippie and nice pub.
Dave
2011 Peugeot 3008 1.6hdi Exclusive EGS.
'04 C5 auto estate 2.2 hdi. Gone.
Bx 1.6 TGS Auto 50k A rare beast by all accounts. A bit tired but getting better by the day. Gone.
'96 XM 2.5TD VSX.......Sadly sold. What an idiot! I should have held on to that.
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

sounds good to me, thanks, just watch the local papers to see the bit about a bloke caught driving along the coastal walks, after I get there.. lmho :-D
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

A few ideas:
You can hire pushbikes from the old station if you fancy a longer trip along the Tarka Trail (I walked it many times when it was still a disused railway!)
Walk along Kipling Tors (cliff path) from Westward Ho! to Abbotsham, to work up a thirst for a visit to the Thatched House Inn.

Visit Heddon's Mouth - great woodland and coastal walks - and lunch at the Hunters Inn.

Westleigh Inn - decent food and ale, and a brief opportunity to negotiate some real Devon lanes through the village!

Drive from Bideford to Barnstaple via the old road - a little byroad running just to the south of the A39. Look behind some of the hedges, and you'll find an even older cart-track! Visit Brannam's pottery, and see if there's anything decent on at the Queen's Hall Theatre. Unfortunately, the nearby pub where you could join local seafarers drinking very roughand powerful home-made cider was closed by Environmental Health some years ago!

Go the opposite way (walk or drive depending on how energetic you feel) to Torrington - great views on the way - and visit Dartington Glass factory.

I'll think a bit more, and hopefully come back with further suggestions :D
demag
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: "H" Citroen Bx Tgs Automatic.
2006 Toyota Prius T4 Gen 2.

Post by demag »

Just as an aside I was in Minehead years ago touring on my old Aerial Leader (those were the days :D )

The split link had snapped on my chain and it was a Sunday evening so nowhere open.

I bumped into a couple of local lads with a bike and they dug out a split link the same as mine.

We went to the local pub and I bought them a pint as they wouldn't take any payment.

I fancied a pint of cider to refresh myself but they stopped serving it at 8pm! Must have been good stuff. :lol:
Dave
2011 Peugeot 3008 1.6hdi Exclusive EGS.
'04 C5 auto estate 2.2 hdi. Gone.
Bx 1.6 TGS Auto 50k A rare beast by all accounts. A bit tired but getting better by the day. Gone.
'96 XM 2.5TD VSX.......Sadly sold. What an idiot! I should have held on to that.
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

Thanks a lot for all the good ideas. :-) i have printed them off so I can take them and show them to the others members of my hol party, i.e. my Bro, my sister, her friend, and my dog.. :-D

I have some nice photos of the lyme Regis, Charmouth, areas if anyone would like one or two..

On the subject of west country home made cider, last time I had some, we were only allowed by the landlord to buy it in half pints, I only had one, but my Bro had 3 of those and passed out in the car park 20 mins later.. This was early evening! 7 pm ish, he didn't wake up till the following morning.. lmho.. :-D

The pub was Called "The Vine" and is just outside Wimborne nr Badbury Rings, in Dorset..

In those days I was driving a pre war Daimler DB18 with a pre selector gearbox.. 0 to 30 in 5 mins and stopping took twice that long!! lmho :-d