Off subject - UK insurance

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Off subject - UK insurance

Post by jgra1 »

hi Guys.. can anyone clarify the rules concerning the UK insurance entitlement which allows me to drive another vehicle not owned by me?

I have a Motorbike, and I think its been sold to a guy in Wolverhampton. If he is the new owner, does this mean I am covered to deliver it to him?

By 'new owner' - can this be a paper document saying the bike now belongs to him, or does it need to be a DVLA informed log book change?
Either way, I could transfer ownership before I deliver...

Also, does he need to be insured for me to be covered? (this would stop everyone transfering their 'fleet' to their wives etc and being insured on them)

thanks as always
John
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

the new owners insurance is nothing to do with it,if your insurance states that you can drive a vehicle owned by someone elss then it will only be your insurace that covers you,as the only way you can be coverd by another persons insurance is if there policy covers any person or you name is stated on there policy,you need to check with your insurance company to wheather you are coverd to drive a vehicle owned by another person with there permisision
regards malcolm
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
MG TF 135
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R

Post by jgra1 »

Malcolm thanks

Yes I am covered to drive any car and bike not owned by me.

So this means, if i transfer my old camper van to anyone else, I can drive that (occasional use) without buying insurance...

So, what makes a vehicle 'owned' by someone, the V5 / or any signed document?
LeeDJC
My Cars:

Post by LeeDJC »

I was always under the impression that the car not owned by you had also to be insured by the owner.

This is to stop people from buying cars, and registering them in their wives, husbands, mothers, fathers names etc and driving them all off one policy.

We had to insure our new car before my father-in-law could go and collect it and drive it on his insurance.

Definitly worth phoning up your insurance company and checking!
2004 Berlingo Multispace HDI, 105000
DaveW
My Cars:

Post by DaveW »

Another point worth considering is although you may be covered to drive a vehicle not owned by you on your insurance, the cover will be third party only.

There is a trend in the insurance 'industry'(?) to remove this benefit from newer policies as I found recently when I changed insurers. I occasionally drive my son's car back from the airport when he is going on holiday so this is a useful facility for me. It was only when the new certificate arrived that it became apparent that I would not be able to do this in future and I had to get the brokers to swap to another company. (at a higher premium, of course ! )

Dave.
Xantia Forte 1.8i, 16v X reg.(09/2000) 93K, aircon
Allanxantia
My Cars:

Post by Allanxantia »

This is a tricky area at the moment. I got a quote for my Impreza from RAC, only to find once I accepted it that this cover has been removed from their policies, with many following suit.

A friend of mine is a loss adjustor and he told me that claims on this section of the policy are thoroughly scrutinised in the event of a claim, so it is designed for occasional and emergency use.

Also worth noting that if the other car you are driving is uninsured then the owner of that car is committing an offence if you park it on the street. The new database will mean any passing traffic cops will think you are uninsured

Oh and trying to get Tax will be tricky!
2002 C5 V6 Exclusive auto LPG
1997 Xantia TD SX £200 bargain
1993 Xantia DLX (now dead)

Then after a 10 year Citroenless gap

1995N Xantia Activa
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
MG TF 135
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R

Post by jgra1 »

Lee yes that is what i thought..

Dave, most of my insurance is 3rd party anyway ;)

I will call 'em

John
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
MG TF 135
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R

Post by jgra1 »

tar Al,

I will get one days cover (on the motorbike I am selling) and deliver it to him and he can pay for the day's cover...
be silly to sell a bike for a few quid and then get summonsed, hit someone etc.. getting to old for these risks..

re: my other cars :

will ring up and find out about being covered if the vehicle is owned by someone else and they are not insured.
J
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
MG TF 135
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R

Post by jgra1 »

but, what your saying makes perfect sense..

If they are not insured and I am not in it and its on street, who is covering it....
LeeDJC
My Cars:

Post by LeeDJC »

jgra1 wrote:but, what your saying makes perfect sense..

If they are not insured and I am not in it and its on street, who is covering it....
No-one, and it's illegal to keep a vehicle on the public highway with no insurance.
2004 Berlingo Multispace HDI, 105000
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

Not strictly true- I work for HM govenment, and none of our pool cars are insured, or, indeed, taxed!!

With regard to insurance, provided you can demonstrate you have sufficient funds to cover any possible claim, which obviously the government does, then you don't actually need insurance.
As well as the cars, you'll also find that no government owned building or equipment is insured,either- you have an accident on government property then your claim is directly against HMG.

As regards the road tax, the government can't pay road tax to itself, it would be pointless, so the cars have exemption discs. It's very difficult to explain to a parking warden-they just don't believe you!!

I tend to use the BX at 40p a mile, however- it pays for the car and I don't have to drive our pool cars.....Micras.... :shock: :oops:
Bananaman
My Cars:

Post by Bananaman »

bxbodger wrote:With regard to insurance, provided you can demonstrate you have sufficient funds to cover any possible claim, then you don't actually need insurance.
I would love to know how that one works come road fund renewal time... You can inagine the scene down the post Office -

"Hello Im Richard Branston Pickle and I am worth several trillion pounds so I dont need to fork out insurance - can I have a road tax disc please"

Jobsworth "not wihout an insurance certificate you cant, good day"

Hmmm - would be nice to try though. It was a sad day when the NHS lost the crown car sceme, now I have the option of using a BX at 53p/mile or a lease hire Kia for £80 a month.... No contest.
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

bxbodger wrote:Not strictly true- I work for HM govenment, and none of our pool cars are insured, or, indeed, taxed!!

With regard to insurance, provided you can demonstrate you have sufficient funds to cover any possible claim, which obviously the government does, then you don't actually need insurance.
As well as the cars, you'll also find that no government owned building or equipment is insured,either- you have an accident on government property then your claim is directly against HMG.

As regards the road tax, the government can't pay road tax to itself, it would be pointless, so the cars have exemption discs. It's very difficult to explain to a parking warden-they just don't believe you!!

I tend to use the BX at 40p a mile, however- it pays for the car and I don't have to drive our pool cars.....Micras.... :shock: :oops:
With regard to the road tax, the police have to attend to drivers who are not taxing their cars, so when they stop a vehicle they can't be dealing with a motorist for not displaying road tax, and then not have it on their own vehicle.

It is for this reason that police vehicles do display a road tax disc, not an exemption disc. Although if you take a close look at the tax disc on a police vehicle, and look at the section just below the bar code where the amount of duty paid is shown, then instead of the amount you will see the words nil.

This is because as bxbodger says, " the government can't pay road tax to itself" or, in this case the police to the government. So I am surprised that the same system that the police use, is not used by what is in effect another government department.

Also if these government vehicles displayed a tax disc, then surely it would mean they would not stand out, or incourage others to not display a disc.
Last edited by ACTIVE8 on 25 Jul 2006, 22:08, edited 1 time in total.
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

Next time you see the queen on TV in her state limo- look closely, no tax disc of any description OR number-plates!!

The Police situation is, I think, a bit different- they are not actually crown owned vehicles, so do have to have a proper disc, but, like my old Triumph, they are exempted from actually paying for them.

Our pool cars are owned by the crown i.e. HM the queen, through her agent, the government, so they have this silly home made looking exemption disc which confuses non English speaking parking wardens no end!!
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

How many pool cars are there ?