Bizarre Insurance Loadings

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Bizarre Insurance Loadings

Post by CitroJim »

I have just had a very strange conversation with an insurance company..

My father, who is 82 and has been with this company for over 40 years totally accident free has just received his renewal invitation for the staggering sum of £318 to insure his Peugeot 205 D Junior. I am with the same company and have a virtually identical policy. I paid £226 for my Xantia two months ago.

I spoke to them and it appears Dad has been loaded becuase in the past year he has changed his car five times in all. He started the year with a Pug 205 Diesel and then crossed over to the dark side to try a few of Henrys finest. They were not very fine in his opinion and he has now come back into the Pug fold.

It also seems that Dad is also loaded a little because of his age, despite being in good health. This is a far comment but I disagree with the other loading. I could only speak to a call-centre operative and quite honestly did not get very far or get a great deal of sense out of her. I shall write to them in a while.

Has anyone else heard of loadings for excessive car swaps or is this some thing new?
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

Maybe they think he's a trader!!

I was once turned down when I changed my car to an early ('86) Pug 205XS- I enquired why and was told that it was because the car was unsuitable for unleaded petrol #-o

That was a well known company who advertise on the TV a lot!!

I wouldn't even bother with writing to them,I'd just take my money elsewhere..........I did.
nick
My Cars:

Post by nick »

bxbodger wrote:
I was once turned down when I changed my car to an early ('86) Pug 205XS- I enquired why and was told that it was because the car was unsuitable for unleaded petrol #-o
On that basis they presumably never insure diesels then....

Sounds like the same company who wouldn't cover my BX 16RS because "RS means Rallye Sport" :shock:
den169
My Cars:

Post by den169 »

I just changed from a Xantia diesel to a c5 diesel its 4 insurance groups lower than the Xantia i was expecting the price to drop a fair bit ,I was amazed when she said no its gone up £18 she said we don't use the groups i took a look round and Prudential is £100 cheaper for the exact same deal,Needless to say i will be leaving Saga shortly.
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

If you can get a better quote somewhere else go with them, I refuse to use companys who try to exploit me.
Volkswagen Golf 59' 1.6TD S :(
THELABMAN
My Cars:

Post by THELABMAN »

I've just renewed the insurance on my Xantia 13/07 it was£278.20 for fully comp with £100 XS from Hastings Direct and that includes legal and personal accident cover.

I've full no claims bonus (9years) but had two bumps (bonus was protected thank goodness) so I thought that a steal as other quotes ranged up to over £700, and even my renewal quote was £318.
Citroen C5 2.0 HDI SX Hatchback - 2002 (52)
Xantia Sensation 1.9TD (T) Mallard Green (Gone to the breakers)
reblack68
My Cars:

Post by reblack68 »

I crashed my Diesel Savanna last year and replaced it with a TD Xantia, which I thought was several groups higher. The combination of accident (the claim for which went 50/50) and a faster car seems to have knocked 30% off my premium with the same company.
Richard

No French cars of my own at present.
Care of a 1994 205 D.